Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/06/2006, 10:30 PM

Ben,

A word of caution on the humidistat control. I installed such a device in my tank room that would control the exhaust fan related to temp. AND humidity. I have the two-port system you describe but ended up having to shut down the humidstat portion of the controller.

Essentially what was happening is that when the humidity outside got higher than in the tank room, the fan would be in a constant loop turning on for a long time, then shutting down, only to turn right back on. Obviously we have higher humidity here in the Seattle area, but I wanted to pass along that lesson learned. It seemed like a great idea until it rained!
Old 08/06/2006, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Ben,

A word of caution on the humidistat control. I installed such a device in my tank room that would control the exhaust fan related to temp. AND humidity. I have the two-port system you describe but ended up having to shut down the humidstat portion of the controller.

Essentially what was happening is that when the humidity outside got higher than in the tank room, the fan would be in a constant loop turning on for a long time, then shutting down, only to turn right back on. Obviously we have higher humidity here in the Seattle area, but I wanted to pass along that lesson learned. It seemed like a great idea until it rained!
Great point. The absolute humidity in our area does spike when we get rain. I think what I will do is also expose an external humidity sensor to the controller so that I get a "smarter humidistat" that doesn't do silly things like that.

Fortunately, except when it's raining, we are usually sitting around 10 or 20% relative humidity both inside and out, year round. Yes, I should probably buy stock in Chapstick.
Old 08/06/2006, 10:45 PM

Can you post how you build that dual system? I would be interested in implementing something like that too. As the case seems to be, temp. and humidty within my tank room go hand-in-hand so it is very rare that I am experiencing elevated humidity inside. It does happen though and then the room feels like a steam room at a spa.

WIth my setup, the tank has never been over 81.9F though, even in heat waves, so regardless, I believe the 2-port system to be the most efficient way to cool in my case. I put my "ports" under my deck though, so the intake (12" x 12" attic vent) is shaded all the time.
Old 08/07/2006, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

I have thought about this a bunch also living in humidlanta I was going to have 2 humidstats in series one that cuts on when the humidity is below and certain amount and one that cuts on when it's above a certain amount.

I would then put the sensor to the one that cuts on below (a better way to think is cuts off above) a certain humidity outsideand the "normal" one inside. I could set the outside one and inside one on equal humidity's and then it would only cut on if the fish room was to humid and the outside air was less humid!

The propbelm is humidity is different at different temps so 50% humidity at 60 degrees is different then 60% humidity at 80 degrees. While not perfect I think it would be a decent solution.

I ended up just having one on my fan and if the fish room is above 60% it kicks on. I don't have a dual ports though I only have one port as the room is not airtight due to gaps for the viewing sides, etc so it pulls from the rest of the house so I have not had a problem with it kicking on and off to often even though it does it some.

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 08/14/2006, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Well! A week or so has gone by and things are getting more painful--er, interesting. Let's see, how about a story with pictures:

This is actually old news. What you're seeing is a simulated corner of my fish room, made from poorly-screwed-together pieces of wood. I ordered a sample of Sanitred and made a couple of quick passes at painting some on to get a feel for how it would work. Of course, I made the mistake of leaving it outside to dry under a light all night, and apparently bugs really like the sweet smell of Sanitred! So it acted as a bug trap as well.

In any event, you can see that it holds water. Duh. Anyway, it easily sealed up some very large, intentional cracks I left between the wood panels. I also painted a piece of aluminum and a piece of steel to see if it might be a viable option for coating my tank stand to prevent corrosion. I think it would work there as well, but I may just throw up my hands and have the stand builder take responsibility for having it coated.

Anyway, $900 of Sanitred is now on order for delivery next week.

I started draining my (absolutely not maintained in the last month) tank, pumping half the water into my new storage vat outside in the garage where I then began to transfer....

Live rock! About 250 pounds of it, I think.

Here's the rock's temporary holding station, already plumbed (sorta) so that I can wire in the skimmer. Wait, skimmer, you say?

Yay, in came the skimmer this afternoon by freight, after several confusions and misdeliveries on the part of UPS Freight. Ah well, it came with nary a scratch, and probably thanks to the fine packing of Scott at Aquarium Specialty. We'll be hearing more about Scott, as I have a lot more dry goods to order, and he somehow seems to carry all of the top-quality stuff! (Okay, Scott, free plug over. )

Of course, I have tubing running all over the house and the yard as I drain tanks, fill tanks, reroute hydrostatic test water into my hot tub (gotta top off the important stuff, right?), etc.

And my favorite picture of all... this is me after about 3 hours of digging sand out of my 225G half-bucket by half-bucket. I'm using muscles that I didn't know I had, I guess. Ugh! I almost took this (really nice, by the way) saber saw to the tank just to make it easier to get the gook out. Ha!

Demolition and construction on the tank room starts tomorrow, and as of right now I still have several very fine audio speakers and a couple of amplifiers sitting in that room, so I have to go now and continue lugging, lifting, and moving crap. Next time I will hire some high school kids to come do the hard stuff for $5/hour.

I've been rapidly tearing down the 225G tank to prepare for the
Old 08/15/2006, 07:13 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Nice skimmer!
Old 08/15/2006, 07:32 AM
RC Sponsor

Ben, We are very glad to hear the skimmer made it in good shape! Hope your not planning on using that saw on the Bubble King 500

Stop and smell the Coral.
Old 08/15/2006, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

looks like fun lol. Thats is a hell of a project. Man your electric bill will be insane, compared to mine anyways.
Old 08/15/2006, 11:40 AM

rock looks nice. now put down the saws-all and step away from the tank!
Old 08/15/2006, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frogguy1
looks like fun lol. Thats is a hell of a project. Man your electric bill will be insane, compared to mine anyways.
I hope not! We do have good, cheap electricity here... so with some care, hopefully it will be manageable.

Ben
Old 08/15/2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
rock looks nice. now put down the saws-all and step away from the tank!
what he said lol
Old 08/16/2006, 01:42 AM
Gun runner

Hi Ben,
You are right and I do not remember your face but stop by on the 31st. Here are a couple of pics for you. I am running a closed loop with 2-Hammerheads. Each pump has 6- inch and three quarter outlets. Hammerhead also running the return from the basement back up.

Old 08/20/2006, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

$900 worth of Sanitred. I read most of this thread but I didn't see where you are using it exactly. Are you sealing the floor with it?
Old 08/20/2006, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chihuahua6
$900 worth of Sanitred. I read most of this thread but I didn't see where you are using it exactly. Are you sealing the floor with it?
You got it: sealing the floor (and a few inches of the walls) with it.

Ben
Old 08/22/2006, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Well, it's been a busy few days. I'll take house pictures tomorrow so you can see what's happening: the floor joists are almost all in, the electrical is getting routed, and we're ready to weld the steel beam in downstairs. Only thing is, we're still waiting for the county to issue the permit! So we can't really go too much farther until we hear back from them, as there are some inspection points before we can close up the walls and floor.

I've been working with a steel welder to design and build a stand. We think this one will work:

It's 2" tubular steel all the way around. There are three "lips" on the top, if you look carefully. The two 5" lips are the ones that allow the tank to protrude through the walls to become flush with the living room wall. The 12" lip on the back is a "cat-walk" for me to stand on to make it easier to work in the tank.

Finally, there will be four diagonal elements in the shape of a diamond on both the top and bottom "panels," but I did not draw those in because (a) I am not a SketchUp expert yet and (b) they mostly just clutter the drawing.

I'm no mechanical engineer, but I think this stand will be plenty strong given some of the ones I've seen here and elsewhere. Anyone have any comments?

Oh, I also got the skimmer up and running on the stock tank in the garage, with a few goofs and newbie-isms.

Real pics to come, soon.
Old 08/24/2006, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Pictures and not thousands of words:

From James at Envision, birthing Bertha:

Newly-doubled-up floor joists, with insulation and even a little fresh PEX tubing for the radiant heat:

Here are the holes where the aquarium will mount into the wall, plus a couple of engineering assistants making sure I'm not damaging the floor:

New 18KW propane generator, freshly delivered on its freight pallet:

"The Bubbler," as the construction subs have taken to calling the Bubble King. (Not a bad name for it, really.) This thing still needs some tuning and dialing in, but it's nice to learn how it works out in the garage on the live rock tank instead of in my new fish room making a huge mess.

Special thanks to James at Envision and Scott at Aquarium Speciality for taking time to read this thread and continue to provide comments and suggestions... rockin'!

Ben
Old 08/24/2006, 09:10 PM

who did you buy the genset from?
Old 08/24/2006, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
who did you buy the genset from?
Hey Jonathan,

I got mine from norwall.com. Seemed straightforward enough, and good prices.

Ben
Old 08/24/2006, 09:16 PM

Thanks!
Old 08/25/2006, 08:03 AM
RC Sponsor

It's getting interesting now. You are getting closer to the fun stuff. It's a pleasure to help out. You are a gentleman and have an eye for detail. Keep up the good work.

Old 08/25/2006, 03:50 PM
Got that Anger!

LOL the bubbler
Looks great so far.Did you ever have a tank set up besides the one you think is too small I might have missed that,Going from no tank to an 800 monster is quite a step
Old 08/25/2006, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by downset
LOL the bubbler
Looks great so far.Did you ever have a tank set up besides the one you think is too small I might have missed that,Going from no tank to an 800 monster is quite a step
Hey, another South Carolinian on the thread.

I had a 225G that I really never got started. That is, it had live rock and was well-cycled and ready for stocking, but I didn't really get around to stocking it before I decided I really wanted to control noise and have the right equipment to sustain a full tank in a fish room. Once I got started figuring out where to put the fish room, one thing led to another and my conclusion was that it was almost as easy to build a bigger tank, too. Sounds logical, right?

Ben
Old 08/25/2006, 04:11 PM

absolutely logical. I was going to do a 70g tall until i figured out I might as well do a 1000g!
Old 08/25/2006, 05:21 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow sweet keep it coming
Old 08/25/2006, 07:03 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrantley
Hey, another South Carolinian on the thread.

I had a 225G that I really never got started. That is, it had live rock and was well-cycled and ready for stocking, but I didn't really get around to stocking it before I decided I really wanted to control noise and have the right equipment to sustain a full tank in a fish room. Once I got started figuring out where to put the fish room, one thing led to another and my conclusion was that it was almost as easy to build a bigger tank, too. Sounds logical, right?

Ben
The Carolina's rock! We are from Charlotte NC but live in SC now. Go Panthers, Cocks and Tigers!