Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2005, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Talking New Kole (Yellow-eye) Tang

After looking at five or six of these guys, I finally picked one out. This one had the best coloring and personality of the bunch so I took 'em home. This guy has been great so far. He was grazing on the rocks within minutes of being put in the tank and ate from a lettuce clip on the second day. He seems to like my Coral Beauty as they aren't really ever apart, they just swim together eating from the rocks. Very cool Tang. I was told he is a "boring" Tang as he isn't brightly colored as others, but he has great coloring on his fins and I love the stripes. Any ways, here are some pics.

Old 09/13/2005, 07:40 PM
Hi

Great looking Kole Tang

I love mine, he is in my 135 FOWLR and is one of the most active fish in the tank. Always moving around and picking on the rock. He also became best buds with my Clarkii Clown and they are always swimming around together. I think they are one of my favorite tangs, they might not have the brightest colors, but they are still awsome looking!
Old 09/13/2005, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

I was actually surprised at the color and how much blue he has in him. And my clowns want nothing to do with him right now They are only about 1.5" long and he is 4", so they are a bit intimidated at the moment. But they are getting better and venturing farther away from the top. I hear good things about 'em so I hope he lives up to it
Old 09/14/2005, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Awesome tang! Ya many people do say they're boring, but they are actulley one of my favorites, they look very.... eloquent lol
Old 09/14/2005, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Mine follows my midas blenny around the tank, its cute. What do you feed your tang?

Mine is tank raised and I brought him home when he was 1" hes about 1"-2" now. He doesn't go for freze dried seaweed. He has been eating vegtible flake food w/ garlic and brine shrimp. What other meaty/veggie foods should I try???
Old 09/14/2005, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Mine has been picking at the rocks/glass and likes the green seaweed sheets. I was worried it wasn't going to go after the seaweek since it's in a lettuce clip, but it only took 'em about an hour or so to start feeding from it. So far he hasn't paid any attention to cyclopeeze flakes, mysis, or pellet; just the seaweek and algae in my tank. I've been told they will eat a variety of foods but algae is the best to maintain overall health.
Old 09/14/2005, 02:52 PM
Hi

Mine eats seaweed of a clip but he LOVES this frozen veggie mix that I get at my LFS (I can't remember the name of it, but I think its made by Pro Salt). He also likes to eat smaller pieces of krill and prawns that I feed my trigger and puffer. Sometimes I even catching him eat the Ocean Nutrition Trigger Formula Oh, and frozen formula 1 and 2.
Old 09/14/2005, 07:28 PM
FishBoi

nice fish