Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Talking New clam

I just bought my first clam. It was listed as a Deresa and I'm pretty sure it is. It has a fairly smooth shell and is blue and purple. I don't have a camera so no pics yet. It was in a fairly dark tank at the LFS for about 5 weeks, they haven't changed their MH in at least 18 months, but it was responding very well to stimuli and didn't have any snails on it.
Couple questions,
First, the "mouth" on the clam seems larger than the pics I see online, is this normal? Could it just be maximizing it's feeding in it's new home?
Second, I have it in the sand at the bottom of my tank, should it be on the rocks higher up?
Third, How can I be sure it is a Deresa, I've compared it to the pics that I can finds and am pretty sure it is, but would like to be positive because diferent clams like diferent things.

The tank:
75 gallons
2X 98w compact flouescents
2X 150w MH
3X 1w lunars
The fixture is the Cor4alife Aqualight Pro.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Re: New clam

Quote:
Originally posted by vezina345
I just bought my first clam. It was listed as a Deresa and I'm pretty sure it is. It has a fairly smooth shell and is blue and purple.
sounds more like a gigas. ( blue and purple )

Quote:
Originally posted by vezina345
the "mouth" on the clam seems larger than the pics I see online, is this normal?
it would be normal if it was a gigas, are there any tentacles on the incurrent siphon ( flat whole ).
Old 12/30/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

It has very small evenly spaced tentacles. Ive read that the Gigas has a more folded shell, the shell on this one is smooth and not very "wavy".
Old 12/30/2007, 11:40 AM
Keeper of the clams!!!

yeah what he said

How big is it? It will outgrow that 75 quickly

That should fix it everything right???
Old 12/30/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

It's about 4-5" long. What is their growth rate? Also referring back to my original question, should I keep i where it is or move it up and how is my lighting ?
Old 12/30/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Comparing shell from an old issue of Reefkeeping Mag. it looks like it's a Crocea. The Byssal opening is too big for a Deresa.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

if its a crocea ( the color works and the slightly open incurrent siphon too ) he won't grow much bigger than 6". seeing as he came from dismal lighting conditions i would leave him on the bottom for a few days, then move him up onto the rock work. this will allow him to acclimate to the new lights.