Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

5ft long x 3ft wide x 30 inch tall - only just got it set up after moving house

Here’s my new tank, corals and fish only went in yesterday so they are not looking their best, my sps spent a few months at my mothers in a temporary holding tank whilst the house move went on, they had a few mishaps, worst one when I blew up the dosing pump (got it wet) and ran without a CA reactor for about a week! Levels did dip a bit, due to work, moving house etc the conditions did suffer.

The tank has been flung together, faster than I would have liked but some Anthias came onto the market and I was after them for ages. I only just fitted the CA reactor a few moments ago today. Chiller went on yesterday, this tank is very young indeed.

I have used reef bones to form the majority of my aquascape (well cured beforehand), the main filtration is currently conducted by my live rock taken from my old system. Some of this is located in the main display and some in the sump.

Please excuse the calerpa; whilst rock and corals were held at my mothers my fish were at CGA, so the absents of tangs allowed the calerpa to run away. Next week I will likely add some herbivorous fish to turn this around, namely my yellow tang, Charlie.

Spec as follows:

60 inch long x 30 inch tall x 36 inch wide, the tank used to belong to Mike (Wee Man from UR).

Lights: Two 400w Coral Vue electronic ballasts, luminarc reflectors, 14k BLV bulbs.

Return pump, which also feeds the skimmer: Sequence 10k. In case of failure (when it fails), I have two more new pumps sat in the garage, ready to go.

Skimmer: Deltec AP1004

Auto top up: Tunze kit

CA Reactor: Schuran Jetstream 1, soon to be replaced with the Jetstream 2.

Internal water movement: Stream 6100 off controller and 6080.

Temperature control: ½ hp Halia chiller, soon to have two fans run off a habistat cool stat to compliment this. No heater installed yet (will fit one soon), temp dips to 27.3c before the halides fire up.

PO4 reactor: Deltec unit, not fitted yet, got a large polyfilter to tide me over.

A selection of pictures will be posted in a few moments, some better than others (I’m no expert at photography).

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/11/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

A few more pictures:

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/11/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Last ones:

Your comments, good or bad will be appreciated

Thank you,

Tony

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/11/2007, 10:03 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

G'day Tony,

Looks great mate! The Anthias look stunning, what are you feeding? Love the Monti too.

Cheers, Josh

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 09/11/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Great Aquarium. Love the 1 species of fish to. Reminds me of something id see in a book or local aquarium.
Old 09/11/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by majesticangelfish
G'day Tony,

Looks great mate! The Anthias look stunning, what are you feeding? Love the Monti too.

Cheers, Josh
G'day Josh,

Thanks for you kind comments. The Anthias are taking various flake foods and frozen. They are hungry dudes, I feed them about 8-10 times a day.

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/11/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RayAllen
Great Aquarium. Love the 1 species of fish to. Reminds me of something id see in a book or local aquarium.
Hi Ray,

It wont stay 1 species, my other fish are on a holiday at a fish shop, these include chromis, wrasse, a yellow tang, a mandarin, a pair of breeding false percs with a green BTA, a few other damsels and LPS corals too.

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Hey man- great tank and unreal skimmer. I'd be careful mixing those damsels and anthias. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09/11/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Tony B,

Greetings from across the pond!!!! I absolutely love your tank, and those anthias look spectacular. Looks like you spared no expense on equipment either....two thumbs up for sure
Old 09/11/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll update the thread soon as there are a few more developments due throughout the course of this month

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/12/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Quick update:

After introducing the 10 Anthias, there was a blip with the function of the biological filter; the water had a very slight rise in NO2, it did not rise above 0.1mg (I tested three times a day), the 2nd day still showed a slight trace, a reduction but NO2 was still there, the test vial was nearly 100% clear but not quite. After day two the NO2 was gone (few - I wipes brow)..... Lucky I added a large breeder size poly filter....

Conclusion: I was heavily feeding the tank during this time, about 8-10 feeds a day as a couple of the Anthias looked a touch too skinny for my liking - coupled with the fact the system had a very low bioload beforehand kind of explains the small rise in NO2.

All fish and corals are doing superb, the tank still looks much the same. This morning I found the time to fit my PO4 reactor onto the system, it is a Deltec fluid bed filter, I have water coming from an Eheim 1260, into and through the PO4 reactor and then this same line serves my chiller too. I am not running Rowaphos as I have found Ultiphos to be far more effective and cheaper.

Here's a picture of it running:

I have not worked out the electric running costs, but I have more than doubled the size of water compared to my old system and I'm fairly sure I'm using the same amount of electric or less to run this system, through reduced number of pumps and removal of T8 & T5 tubes, as these were needed to add blue light to my old 250w halides.

More updates in due course

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/12/2007, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

That tank is looking very nice indeed. I am an US based reefer and I am currently in the UK and was wondering where you purchase most of your equipment and if you have any suggestions for me. I was also wondering if it was possible for me to see your tank in person at some point. I have not had the oppurtunity to see any English reef tanks to date and would appreciate the oppurtunity. Please let me know if this would be possible.

Happy reefing!

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 09/12/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Hi Tony,

Very interested to read your thread as I'm currently planning a system of exactly the same dimensions!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) How are you getting on with the depth of the tank (cleaning etc). I love the depth but was a little concerened).

2) How's your flow? I was planning either a pair of 6100's with multi controller or closed loop.

Tank looks great mate, can't wait to get mine started!!

Cheers,

Eddie (UK also)
Old 09/12/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tom/thirschmann,

If you're in the UK you're more than welcome to pop over and see my tank, I live in the South East, the County of Essex.

Where abouts in England are you now?

As it happens, I might be able to show you one or two other tanks - depending on how much time you have spare.

I have also built an 8x4x4 for a shop in Kent, it has 11 metal halides (400w each) and uses 6 Sequence pumps as closed loops (the 15,000lph model) and two for the return. I might be able to show you that too.

Equipment has been bought from various shops and online retail stores.

Tony B (UK)

Last edited by Tony B (UK); 09/12/2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09/12/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Hi Eddie,

The depth is no issue at all, I use a set of step ladders and if I perch on the upper step I take my shirt off and can reach the bottom of the rear panel, but I do get wet arm pits. I would even consider going larger if I was you/space allowing.

Flow is fine in the tank for now, but you need to remember there is very little growth on the corals; I doubt in another 18-24 months the flow I have right now will be man enough; I'll prolly have to add another stream, but whilst the tank is so young it's fine right now with the 2 streams and Sequence acting as return.

Great to see another UK reefer on RC

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/13/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Hi Tonny,

Well I seem to be right around the corner from you in Leatherhead and I would definetly like to see some tanks if possible. Thank you for the offer.

What store in Kent are you refering to, I have only been to SMT and I don't remember seeing a tank that large there.

Please let me know when you might have time. Thank you again.

Old 09/13/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tony,

I think I may do exactly the same with regards to flow - start with a couple of tunze powerheads + return and maybe add more as things grow!!

Glad to hear that the depth works well too. I like a deep tank and am thinking about adding a DSB in main display (4-5") so may go as deep as 32" after your positive experiences. I've read about lots of people going for remote DBS's though so this may alter as I read even more!!

I'm currently looking at skimmers - I think one as good as yours may be beyond my price range though!! Have been reading good things about cleartides + TMC V2 1500 - ever heard about them? I may end up with Deltec AP702 though - needs further investigation!!!
Old 09/13/2007, 01:31 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Great tank!

Love the deminsions!

Love the aquascaping!

Can't wait to see it in a year or so after everything fills in.
Old 09/13/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
Hi Tonny,

Well I seem to be right around the corner from you in Leatherhead and I would definetly like to see some tanks if possible. Thank you for the offer.

What store in Kent are you refering to, I have only been to SMT and I don't remember seeing a tank that large there.

Please let me know when you might have time. Thank you again.
Hi Tom,

I have moved from Chelmsford, into Rayleigh Essex - even closer to Leatherhead. It would be nice to meet you, when would you like to pop over?

STM are in Sevenoaks, Kent. The 8x4x4 is at Swallow Aquatics, in their Tenterden (Kent) store, Swallow Aquatics have 2 stores in Kent, their other store is in Gravesend. They also have 2 stores in Essex, one in Rayleigh and one in Colchester, they have another in Norfolk too. I will say that the 8x4x4 has no fish or corals in yet, just water and rocks, the tank is going through a cycle right now.

If we're lucky I may be able to show you one of my friends tanks too

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/13/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E. Child
Hi Tony,

I think I may do exactly the same with regards to flow - start with a couple of tunze powerheads + return and maybe add more as things grow!!

Glad to hear that the depth works well too. I like a deep tank and am thinking about adding a DSB in main display (4-5") so may go as deep as 32" after your positive experiences. I've read about lots of people going for remote DBS's though so this may alter as I read even more!!

I'm currently looking at skimmers - I think one as good as yours may be beyond my price range though!! Have been reading good things about cleartides + TMC V2 1500 - ever heard about them? I may end up with Deltec AP702 though - needs further investigation!!!
Hi again,

Skimmers eh - I love em! I'd avoid the TMC V2 skimmers, they are not built very well, they are built ok and they perform ok, but that's all it is - a budget skimmer. If cash is tight, you would be better off going for a 2nd hand deltec ap701/850/851 or Aquamedic shorty.

IMHO, one of the best skimmers in the sub £500 price range is the ATI Bubblemaster 250; these retail at about £400 and are awesome. They are bubbleking copies and they perform like no other. I am thinking of trying one out to see how it runs next to my AP1004.

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/13/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Great tank!

Love the deminsions!

Love the aquascaping!

Can't wait to see it in a year or so after everything fills in.
Thanks for the compliments

Yes, 12 months will be good but 18/24 months will see it even better and nicely grown in I can't wait!

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/13/2007, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Tony.

My schedule is free this weekend if you have some time for me. I'm out of the country all of next week but will be back for quite some time after that. Any time you would have for me is appreciated. I'm looking forward to chatting with you about reefing on this side of the puddle.

Sorry, STM aquariums, still getting used to the range of new names over here. I have not visited swallow aquatics but might head over there tomorrow afternoon. Even though the 8x4x4 is cycling its always nice to see a tank that size and see how it has been aquascaped and setup. I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the information and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

And I would very much like to see some other systems as well if that is possible. Thank you for your hospitality.

Old 09/14/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Tony.

My schedule is free this weekend if you have some time for me. I'm out of the country all of next week but will be back for quite some time after that. Any time you would have for me is appreciated. I'm looking forward to chatting with you about reefing on this side of the puddle.

Sorry, STM aquariums, still getting used to the range of new names over here. I have not visited swallow aquatics but might head over there tomorrow afternoon. Even though the 8x4x4 is cycling its always nice to see a tank that size and see how it has been aquascaped and setup. I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the information and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

And I would very much like to see some other systems as well if that is possible. Thank you for your hospitality.
Hi Tom,

I'll send you a private message with my phone number and email.

In 2/3 weeks (no date set yet) there will be a large reef meeting, might be able to show you three or more people's set ups - I'd suggest you wait until then, it will let my tank settle in and give you the oppourtunity to see more tanks The reef meetings are quite good, a few local reefers gather and eat some pizza and drink a few beers, look at each others tanks and talk about all kind of things, I'm sure you'll have a great time

Feel free to call/email me before this date if you want to chat.

I've already talked with a few of the guys and we're all looking forward to meeting you!

Speak soon,

Tony

Tony B (UK)
Old 09/14/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

Awesome. Thank you Tony. I look forward to speaking with and meeting you in the near future.

Many thanks,

Old 09/19/2007, 05:50 AM
Registered Member

Update time…

It is a shame I’m such a bad photographer; the tank has amazed me with it’s progress and tiny cycle. I was expecting much more algae by this stage. I am sure there will be more cycles to come and the odd cyano bloom, but this is all part of the course.

Problems: As expected, all the new rock and sand and various bacteria was binding minerals rapidly; I had massive demands on magnesium, less so with alkalinity and calcium, it was a struggle keeping up with mineral demands. I ended up dosing 5.5kg of Epsom salts and had to turn the CA reactor up. Water is being checked daily, any adjustments are being made accordingly but the huge demands look like they’ve gone.

The corals are all doing superbly, especially the sps; the colours are starting to pop in most of the montipora and the porites, the difference (considering it’s just over a week) has been significant – I only wish my camera could capture this better.

I have added all my old stock that Coral Garden Aquatics was holding for me (thank you Sue and Brian). The stock was a green bubble tip anemone, a couple of torch corals, 4 chromis, a wrasse, a yellow tang, two yellow tail blue damsels, a mandarin, a blue linkea star fish, some snails and hermits, skunk cleaner etc.

Here’s a couple of shots looking through the 3ft wide panel, down the 5ft length:

Here's a full length shot:

Tony B (UK)