Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 01/04/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

just normal aragmax sugar fine with LOTS of crushed shell and coral mixed in.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:21 PM
Reefer

Thanks! It looks nice.

Joyce
Old 01/04/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Man what a beautiful build tiggsy! In the planning stages for a 210 now and will definately persue your foam/rock idea. It rocks!!! Any new FTS pics? It's after xmas and new years is here and gone!

Brent
Old 01/07/2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy

This is an awesome thread. Definitely a cheap way to create great looking rock.

As soon as I read this thread I went right out and got the materials and started putting mine together for my new tank.

The one thing I forgot to do was to test the floatablity of the rock structures. After I put mine in the tank (which really looked fantastic) I started filling it and right when the water got to about the last inch to the top of the rock, WHOOOMP! Everthing tipped over and floated upside down. It was quit an amazing display, but I don't think my new fish would appreciate it.

Needless to say the rock is back out and I'm currently working on trimming down the foam. And this time I will be testing before it goes back in the tank. Just a little word of warning in case you should miss the importance of the testing part.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

I am building mine right now and I think that I shouldn't have a weight issue because i think I am using much more rock vs. foam.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Updated FTS's.

All going ok so far. Bit of cyno that went nuts and is now almost gone...all else ok. More SPS in the frag tank to add and a bit more rock to add to the left side for some nice acans i have.....getting there slowly.

Oh....and waiting for delivery of another vortech...two of those of full blast should exercise the fish

Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

This tank is awesome! I really like what you've done with it.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:32 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

LOVE IT!!!
Old 01/08/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

What is truly amazing is... how great it looks after less than 2 months with water in it.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Well IM getting ready to start mine for my new 150g. What tickles me is my step father who never really understood my love for the hobby after showing him pics of your tank is all for helping me do the project. He even went out and bought the fiber glass resin and egg crate lol that says alot. Once again I have to say Man thats beautiful Tiggsy just awasome bro
Old 01/08/2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Tiggsy, how difficult is it to keep you back and side panel clean? And what tools are you using to clean them? Looks super! Let me know how 2 of the vortecs work on full. I've heard they are noisey in wave mode. Doyou have the wireless controller?

Brent
Old 01/09/2008, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

morning tiggs

good to see another UK reefer that i know from other sites

tanks looking great by the way....fantastic job

im going to be doing my tank on here, basically because the usual forum we use, is slowly becomeing less of of a reef forum and the guys over here are so much more helpfull

ill be watching how yours progresses over the next year

all the best

rupert
Old 01/09/2008, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks agin people for the kind comments - the back is easy to clean at the moment as i can get my hand down to use a magfloat (the gap is there to fit the vortechs in) When its clad in wood it will be tricky.....but so will access to the top - i need to have a LONG think about that aspect as it could look grim or make it look a stunning bit of furniture.

two vortechs will both be wireless - although i would rather run them separated and quiet...will see how it goes when i get the second (they are delayed at the moment in the UK while the wirless mod is done)

rupert - i highly recommend it here......unfortuantly the UK sites dont compare at all.

Last edited by Tiggsy; 01/09/2008 at 11:19 AM.