Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers

Old 01/27/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Col coral attached to rock ...

Hi all,

I'm in a situation where I need to move a colt coral that has attached to the side of it's trunk to some LR. In other words, roughly 2 inches from the base going up is "glued" to the rock.

What's the impact of trying to pull it off? Is it as simple as pulling? Or will I damage it.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01/29/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Anytime you pull or rip a coral away from its attached position it is going to be damaged. You always want to use a sharp blade and make a clean quick cut.
Old 01/29/2007, 09:03 PM
Minion

I've pulled hundreds of softies from rocks, usually none the worse for the wear. Colt is a little softer though, so it damages easier. If you cut it, you will have another grow from the base.

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 01/29/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm doing it sometime tomorrow, so I'll update the thread once I see how it went.
Old 02/01/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Did you cut the Colt yet? Any updates?
Old 02/02/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Yup. Did it yesterday, and I was worried that it was a fiasco. The colt was very limp (for lack of another word) for most of the day, but today, even though it doesn't have that perfect tree shape, at least it's opened up and seems to be doing better.

One of the reasons I had to do this is because I overhauled the tank to make room for an extra pump and a hob refugium. Most of the corals are still looking a bit under-par today because of it, so I figure once I've left the tank alone for a few days, everyone will be happy again, including the colt.
Old 02/02/2007, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

I had the same happening before and it survived with no issues. Took a few days to fully recover.
Old 02/02/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Actually, this morning, it's straightening out some more. I was worried that it would keep that sort of crouched look, but it looks like it probably won't.
Old 02/03/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

How do you know if you need to move a coral? I have a colt coral that's not doing to well also. I don't know if its from it's close neighbor xenia's or too much turbulence in my water... Any suggestions?? Also, if you have to cut a soft coral, xenia/colt coral, how close to the base should you cut it and how do you attach it to another spot??
Old 02/04/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I peeled a colt off a rock for a friend of mine and it took a week or so before it recovered but it is doing well now. My colt is huge and part of the base tore (or something) and it recovered nicely as well. They seem to be pretty hardy.
Old 02/04/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

So should i try to peel off and move the colt coral, or instead cut away the xenia thats sitting almost right ontop of it?