Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Anyone run a Calfo-style overflows?

I have a approx. 250 gal tank I just picked up and wonder what type of overflow to run. Just was wondering if anyone has any ideas and/or pics of their tank skimming. What I am picking up is that a 1" bulk head is going to be 400-600 gph, is this right? I plan on running this tank with mostly SPS in the near future so the more flow the better right. I am thinking 3 1" bulkheads just not sure what type of overflow set up. So that should give me 1200-1800gph right? Should this be sufficient enough, also what type of return pump would be good for this. I really want to run the calfo but just want to get some opinions. Thanks
Old 01/02/2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I have a Calfo type on my 327. Because they don't "load up" with water like the some of the other overflows with the weight of the water they don't handle as much flow as you might think. But I love the look and would use them again.

Mine is 4' long, 6"tall and 4"deep. I also have 2 2" bulkheads, wish I had a 3rd. I would encourage you to go up from the 1" for sure to AT LEAST 1 1/2"

Bart
Old 01/02/2008, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

i am putting together a 180 right now using this style of overflow. i also have two 2" drains. i always try to have two drains that will each handle all of the return flow individually. it cuts down on noise and helps prevent a flood if one gets clogged with something like a snail.

here is a quick pic when i installed it.

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 01/02/2008, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Do you know what gph the box will run and what size will the bulkheads be?
Old 01/05/2008, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

My 360 gal is being built with a Calfo Overflow. I'm not a believer in high flow return pumps which leads to high flow through the sump. All of the experts say that anything over 1x turnover in a 24 hr period is sufficient. My Calfo overflow will have three 1.5" bulkheads but I am only running an Iwaki MD 70 for a return (1500 gph).
Old 01/06/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I agree with medecine man. Turnover within the tank,ie. good circulation is key, but I have always used smaller system turnover. I don't know if I would go as low as one tank volume per day...I have always had great success and fewer bubble issues with a few tank turnovers per hour.
Like huge1day and hobogato, I would also encourage you to go bigger than one inch drains. There is always a small amount of buildup within the drains (slime, tiny encrustations etc) At 1.5 you are better protected against clogs...Personally I would only use 2 inches as a drain- just to be able to not have to ever think about drain narrowing and clogging..there's already enough to worry about when running a reef!
Old 01/07/2008, 01:47 AM
Premium Member

Agree with you Matt. So many things can go wrong and are difficult to fix when you have high turnover in the sump instead of the tank. Supposedly, high turnover through the sump makes it harder for your protein skimmer to be as efficient as it could be due to the surface of the water being constantly mixed instead of being skimmed off. I wouldn't run 1x turnover either but its comforting to know that you could and be ok. I think either way you go, 1.5 or 2" you will be fine. One thing I can say is do it right the first time because re-plumbing sucks!
Old 01/07/2008, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

I don't see how anything close to as low as 1X turnover a day could be sufficient in the case of heating, cooling, or filtering you water. You gotta move water much more than 1X to create a balance between your display and sump.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

I'm not quoting my own research but that of Anthony Calfo's. He knows more than I ever will about reefing so I trust what he says.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Where does Anthony Calfo state that 1X turnover through your sump per 24 hour period is ok?
Old 01/07/2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure you don't mean 1X turnover per hour?
Old 01/07/2008, 02:41 AM
Registered Member

1 time to in 24 hours is too little. Most convention is 1-5x to per hour thru sump.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Anthony's first book on coral propagation. You guys are forgetting that I agree with you. I'm just merely stating the research that has already been done. Opinions have little weight against facts proven through research.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Medicine Man
Anthony's first book on coral propagation. You guys are forgetting that I agree with you. I'm just merely stating the research that has already been done. Opinions have little weight against facts proven through research.
Which page, I have his first and second edition right in front of me.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

(Just an Example) HERE is an article about the Great Barrier Reef Aquarium that uses a 1 time turnover per 24 hours.

HERE is a TOTM that is using 100gph return.

I wish I could find the specific part in his book about this but I may be mistaken for where I read this. I know that I talked with him about it when he gave a coral propagation seminar in Rogers Arkansas about 2 years ago. He also used to talk about this when he had his own section on reef central about 1-2 years ago. Take the info for what its worth. I don't think anyone has the intention of running a system with only one time turnover per day through the sump but accepting the notion that it is possible, I guess is a far reach. I know it was difficult for me to accept until I thought about the basic principles involved in reef keeping. Keep it simple. I included two examples of systems that use this type of low flow through the sump. Maybe someone should contact them and tell them they are wrong eh?
Old 01/07/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I'll go over to marinedepot and ask him about this idea, I had no idea he advocated this.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Its no that he advocates it but just uses it as an example of low flow through the sump.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

My question to anthony calfo-

"A gentleman on another forum mentioned that he had talked with you about this possibility- 1x turnover through sump per day. Is this true?"

Anthony's answer-

Nope... someone is grossly mistaken. I do not recommend less than 10X per hour (but also do not see the need for much more).

All depends on filtration and other hardware inline.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Not really sure what that is about. I was there and so was several other people. Must have changed his mind? Why were you so intrigued by this anyway? Were you planning on going to a 1x turnover setup or just curious about it? Anyway, even if Anthony has changed his opinion or does not recall the conversation, the research is there and it is possible. This will be my last post on this subject so feel free to have the last word and protect your ego as evidenced by the superman avatar.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Nice parting shot, why did you have to attack me personally? This had nothing to do with ego, what would my ego gain?
I was very intrigued by this, I have never heard anyone even speak of such slow flow through a sump, and was shocked at the thought that I could have missed such a different idea from my favorite reef aquarium author. Sorry if I hurt your feelings Medicine Man.