Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Tubastrea/Dendrophyllia

What are the main differences between these two corals. I know one cost a great deal more than the other, but i can't find much info on the Dendro online. My LFS has one, but how do i know its really a dendro?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Dendophyllia looks just like sun polyps, only bigger and they generally extend their polyps both day and night. They are not photosynthetic at all and depend completely on being fed.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Animal Mother pretty much summed it up. There arent too many english sites with info on Dendros, you can search the RC LPS forums and you'll find alot of info. There are many different types of Dendros, can you post a pic?
Old 12/19/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of two pieces i bought yesterday. These r very tiny frags the one on the right isn't even 2" across and the one on the left is smaller than that (the largest individual head is only about a cm across). My LFS had, wut they listed as a dendro, for 300$ and these small frags were in their frag tank. They looked very similar to the expensive piece from the other tank, just very small so i think they might have broken off the main piece during shipping and got put in the frag tank since they were so small. I don't know much about these corals other than they r low light species and need to be fed, but i bought them on the chance that they might be something more, since i had seen the expensive piece earlier. If not i still have two nice pieces that didn't cost much money.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:29 PM
Moved On

Good thing it isnt a DENDRONEPTHIA... or you would be regretting your purchase. Those are easy to care for though.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

" I don't know much about these corals other than they r low light species."

I have mine under 2x250w MH+4 T5's and it's doing great
Old 12/22/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

NASO, do u have tubastrea or dendros?? i've heard that they can be placed just about anywhere, i just said low light because in nature they live in darker places and they aren't photosynthetic.

and i wouldn't put dendronepthia in my tank if someone gave it to me forget about paying for it. my friend had a piece once and it lasted about 2 weeks.
Old 12/22/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

I just got a similar sized colony for very cheap. I've been target feeding it with cyclpoeeze using an eye dropper and it eats very well. I've read that you have to be sure that each polyp gets food.

I have it in a relatively low light area of my tank with high flow and the polyps remain extended day and night.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I feed mine mysis, they love it and are doing very well.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

JM68 anyother pics of the coral, some close ups? Dendrophyllia isn't picky about light, most of mine are right under my t5s in my nano.