Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

New Regal Angel

Guys,
Decided to add a small 2.5 Inch Juvi, that was eating Mysis at the store.... He has been in my tank for 2 full days now... My Kole Tang and Sailfin harassed him for the first 36 hours... Tonight I get home, he is just sticking to one side of the tank going up and down in one corner by one of my Korila 3 powerheads.... The Sailfin has dropped his aggression, but the Kole goes after him now and then... And only when the regal swims out of his new area...

He did eat Mysid tonight.. Prolly around 10-12 total bites... Also his back fins are bit a tad.. Someone, I presume the Kole took a bite... The Regal is still swimming around, doesn't seem to care...

Do u guys think the Kole will stop?? I would like the regal to explore the entire tank without getting bullied...

I also have some mirrors hanging to help the situation.... Seems to have worked for the Sailfin, and partially on the Kole...
Old 01/09/2008, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

When I first added my regal, my purple tang harrassed him for at least a week before he was accepted. Now they're fine together.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

I'm hoping every day is less and less issues with the Kole... I know the Regal is a Delicate fish to acclimate... He is also a Juvi.. Does that help me, or hurt me?? He is eating Mysid which is a plus correct??
Old 01/09/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I think the sooner you get a new fish eating the better. It may take few days for the Kole to get used to a new tankmate, but he'll probably ease up.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I agree, if he is eating, that's a definate plus.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

It's funny... I checked on him this morning... he is sleeping with my Lineatus Wrasse.. Right along side of him.... In a cave of course...
Old 01/10/2008, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Is he munching on any corals yet?
Old 01/10/2008, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James983
Is he munching on any corals yet?

What corals do they like?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

I can't say specifically, but angels generally eat zoos, clam mantles, softies and sps coral. You could always luck out and get one that dosen't. I was just asking.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

No, just plucking ay some mysid and brine... He does eat a few pieces, then after maybe 4-5 he starts spitting it out...

It's seems the Kole is only letting him stay on the far right of the tank... Funny thing, he still sleeps right next to my Lineatus wrasse, in his bunker And.... the Lineatus kinda protects the Regal's little territory throughout the day..
Old 01/10/2008, 11:31 PM
Keeper of Tangs

great find juvi regals are really rare.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

I've got a blue eye kole that I thought was a nice fish, then I added a Potter's Angel and the war started, I was surprised that the Kole was so upset at him, I tried to remove the Angel, of course a little difficult with all the rock. I figured the Angel was going to starve since he was kept hiding in the rocks by the kole, after a couple days the kole gave up and they are best buds now. They don't seem to mind each other anymore.

Hopefully you have the same luck I did, and the kole lets him out.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Well..... My Little Juvi regal passed away this morning He was fine last night.. Ate...
Old 01/12/2008, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

So sorry to hear that... I love Regals and have wanted to get one, but it's stories like your that make me think I would just be killing a beautiful fish. They are such tough little guys to keep!