Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/29/2007, 03:43 PM
Moved On

On HOB, when I see it, I'll believe it. Haven't come across any that doesn't have it challenges with performance. I would prefer that will fit a standard filter slot on acrylic tanks because we know glass tanks won't have any restrictions.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumamae
On HOB, when I see it, I'll believe it. Haven't come across any that doesn't have it challenges with performance. I would prefer that will fit a standard filter slot on acrylic tanks because we know glass tanks won't have any restrictions.
Thats where I saw room for improvement... there isnt any really good competition out there. The only good models are the Bermuda, which is w/o pump, $300, and a venturi driven, and then the Deltecs... perhaps only 'good' because its made by a good company, although the MCE's are not like the rest. I think they are popular because no other high-end company makes HOB's.

No BK, no H&S, no ATI, no nothing... so to make a performance based HOB would really be filling a demand that has never been met.

Your note on acrylic tanks is noted. As it turns out with this design, a slight pipe modification on the inlet/outlet would allow for parimeter braced tanks like acrylics and Euro-braced ones.

Anton does want to make it though. When I sent him a diagram of how to do it... I got a response right away.

It really comes down to seeing if people would prefer a 4.5" deep skimmer that is square, or one that is narrower (like 3-3.5") and wider.

The way I designed the skimmer though, the entire guts of the skimmer can be removed... pump, cone, cup, bubble plate... without having to drain or remove the HOB chamber. Everything lifts out w/o water. When I think back to HOB's I have used, that was always the biggest chore when cleaning, and the biggest mess... having to lift the whole thing off, spilling water everywhere, dumping its contents, and then having to refill it when hooking it back up.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:10 PM
Moved On

In a joking way, I prefer one that really performs and gives the in sump skimmers a good even race. To me, it doesn't matter how thick as long as it works and can be hidden behind the tank, so probably not too tall. There's already been some pretty bad looking HOB out there that don't work well either.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:08 AM
Moved On

I was over at KMA Int'l in SF yesterday to pickup some things I needed and I got a chance to see the ATB Nano on their 180g display tank. Very nice!!! I have a Bubblemaster 160 that performs like a best on my 90g, but the ATB foaming action looks so different, much softer. It's a winner in my opinion.

He says that his tester demo will be available for sale and there maybe a couple of inquiries on it already. Who's going to be the lucky local guy?
Old 12/05/2007, 11:39 AM
RC Sponsor

CruzinKim

What did you think of the sound level of the skimmer?
Old 12/05/2007, 12:19 PM
Moved On

Dead silent! It's definitely more quiet than my Bubblemaster and my BM160 is quiet. I know that Ed is so excited by the potential of the Eheim 1250 pump used as a skimmer pump just by the way he talks about it. And there's no noise at all from the skimmer, his return pump made more noise than anything else on his tank. I just wished I had a chance to see the ATB Small when he was testing that, just for comparison.

Also, the ATB HOB sounds like a real exciting addition. Maybe, we will finally have a HOB skimmer that really works well. I haven't seen one HOB that truly skims similar to a good in sump skimmer, not even Deltec, which everyone claims is the best currently. Make sure it has a big skimmer cup or something to handle all the skimmate its going to grab.

Last edited by CruzinKim; 12/05/2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:24 PM
RC Sponsor

CruzinKim
As of right now the design has a 4 inch cup. We are expecting 400l/hr of air with a bubbleplate diffuser. The small is dead quiet also but just bigger. There is a dealer in milpitas that has it up and running.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

holy cow what is with alot of the people in this thread getting banned
Old 12/08/2007, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Woa, what happened?
Old 12/08/2007, 02:38 AM
RC Sponsor

Who got banned?
Old 12/08/2007, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

Lumamae
CruzinKim
reef Sponger

all below there names it says moved. which in RC language means banned
Old 12/08/2007, 02:51 AM
RC Sponsor

oh ok I see now
Old 12/08/2007, 02:53 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Wow... thats quite the group ban. I wonder what that was all about.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:08 AM
Generic Member

I dont know for sure, but I would guess it is for violation of #2, 2.1 of the user agreement.

Last edited by sjm817; 12/08/2007 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12/08/2007, 06:44 PM
RC Staff
American

Specualtion on your part won't help, you don't have nearly the full story here in this thread. I am not at liberty to discuss anyone's account with others, so I can't give you the full story. Please let it be.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/09/2007, 05:05 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
we are actually working on a hang on skimmer
I cant wait to order it, i will give it a full review against my current German HOB.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:33 PM
RC Sponsor

GSMguy
I actually got prototype hangon pictures yesterday. It should be really soon!!
Old 12/09/2007, 05:50 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ATB USA
GSMguy
I actually got prototype hangon pictures yesterday. It should be really soon!!
can you send them to me i promise not to post them on any forums??

this is awesome news
Old 12/09/2007, 06:14 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Don't get too excited, I saw the photos, and they really dont show much of anything at this point... just the cone and body, but no actual mechanicals/plumbing in place. The dimensions dont quite mesh up with what I was thinking in the original design, but this is more of a 'testbed' design anyways.

All I know for sure is that Anton has said he is very interested in a product for this 'niche', as it seems to be a high volume one that would really increase exposure to ATB in general.

The main ideas behind the design are:
-Easy to clean/break down w/o having to remove the entire HOB body or any water... the cone, cup, pump, and bubble plate can be removed completely w/o removing anything else.
-Small efficient pump... heck, Ill spill it... its based on the 'pimp my pump aquaclear 802' mod. An aquaclear 70 that is modded up to 400lph for 10-12 watts. It is possible that this may not be the final pump... although it was the original idea.
-Uses the ATB cone/pyramid shape body so it is part of the cone skimmer line.
-Uses a removable bubble plate.
-Pump is in the skimmer, not hanging in the tank.
-water level/outlet is controlled by an adjustable standpipe, not a valve system of some sort. I figured out a way to make a telescoping standpipe that is rather simple and should work just fine. I have never been a fan of valve controlled outlets/height adjustment with external skimmers. With a standpipe system, the water has a 'backup' opening to prevent overflows.
-Simplicity of design, for durability, ease of construction, and cleaning. For those who know of the 'wetworx nano skimmers' over at nano-reef.com, you know what Im talking about.

The weird thing is, based off this design, ATB could make a very simple external cone line as well... just rather than HOB, it would be a box/cylinder you can stand next to your sump.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:30 PM
lift it up tallways

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister

-Easy to clean/break down w/o having to remove the entire HOB body or any water... the cone, cup, pump, and bubble plate can be removed completely w/o removing anything else.
IMHO, this is one of the best features of the ATB conicals. I love the fact that they can be completely torn down and cleaned, inside-out.

Those points look good. I'm interested to see ATB's solution for a HOB.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:30 PM
RC Sponsor

Heres some pics of new nano skimmer
Old 12/09/2007, 07:17 PM
El Jefe de WRS

For those who know... these things look like 'Temples of Nod', but rather 'Temples of NOG!' with the red and grey.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:23 PM
g l a s s b o x

much better dimensions on the nano.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/09/2007, 07:28 PM
RC Sponsor

From what i remember 7.8 inch base 3.92 inch neck 20.5 inches tall my email is down right now double check asap
Old 12/09/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

oooo, I like! Can't wait to see the final specs, ratings, etc.
I might have to review this one...or maybe I can drive cross- state to see Hahn's larger one in person (skimmer that is)