Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2006, 12:56 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

New to SPS- questions

Hello everyone, I’m recently broke down my 180 because I had to replace the flooring in that room and it was quite the ordeal. I am moving the tank across the room to a wall adjacent to the garage so I can plumb all my equipment through the wall, and my sump, refugium, skimmer, pump, ballasts and other equipment will all be housed in the garage. I am going to be setting this 180 (6'x2'x2') up as a SPS tank. My current equipment is as follows;

180 gallon glass euro braced tank with stand and hood, large single overflow and 2 returns
2-icecap temp controlled fans on hood
40 gallon Eurofil sump
3-175 watt MH
4-65 watt PC actinic
Japanese Iwaki 70 RLT return pump
300 watt titanium heater and temp controller
Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer
An aqua UV 25 watt unit with a dedicated pump
I was running a 5-6" deep sand bed and about 250 pounds of live rock

In addition to this equipment I will also be adding;

A calcium reactor (not sure on the size or brand)
2 tunze 6060 streams with mag holders (I already have these and can add other powerheads)
Another 300 watt heater (my garage runs cool, to the point I don’t think I will need a chiller)
A 55 gallon acrylic tank which I will set up as a refugium
An auto top off RO/DI system to replace water
At some point I will upgrade both the skimmer and either replace the 175 MH’s with 400 MH’s or just add two more 400 watt MH.

I have a few questions for you folks,

1) I have been reading a lot about deep sand beds vs. bare bottom tanks and can set this tank up as I please. I really don’t like the look of a BB tank but I’m not convinced a DSB is the way to go either. I can go with a shallow bed for cosmetic purposes and have a DSB in the refugium, remove most of the sand altogether, or go back to a DSB. What do you folks think?

2) I have also thought about adding an ozone generator to the skimmer, what do you think?

3) What do you think about my plans and is there anything I have missed or forgot about?

TIA
Old 01/04/2006, 03:49 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

^ Any opinions?
Old 01/04/2006, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Lets see how i do.

Ozone will weaken your Skimmer over time, it makes the acrylic brittle after a few years. Other then that I dont see why not.

I run a DSB in my fuge, and a 3-4 inch bed in my display. So far the fish and critters respond better to the bed in the display alot better to the BB/1inch sandbed i was running. It also raises the rocks higher to the light source so I dont need as intense lighting.

Looks like your plans are very complete and it sounds like it will be a fun project!

Good Luck
Travis
Old 01/04/2006, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

I'd say cut and paste your question in the sps forum. I've gotten a ton of useful information out of it as there are many extremely knowledgeable sps keepers lurking in that forum.
Good luck!
Old 01/04/2006, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Caillou, the best place for SPS info is there.
Old 01/07/2006, 03:01 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Thanks for the responces all, I actually had this post in the coral forum first and got no responces for a few days so I tried it here but finally got some hits there.