Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/04/2007, 11:07 PM
SPAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRTAAAAAA

pump came in. WOOHOO. bad news is I have too much homework so there wont be any testing. Theres a couple last things i had to glue/seal anyways. But I picked up some fish food with the highest protein and fat levels i could find...cost me a whole 2 bucks. Im going to let it sit in a container of water to get all nice and mushy/smelly to let it break down so i can test it tomorrow. I'll make sure to take some pics. This pump is bigger than I imagined...
Old 06/06/2007, 12:51 AM

well...just fired it up.... Good news or bad new first?

Good news: DAMN this thing actually works!! yup, sure does whip up some mean foam. instanly went to work, and pulled some nasty *** gunk from the water. (it should i poured in enough fish food to feed a tank for months) i'll have some pics up later tonight.

Bad news: the seal it makes on its own is not nearly good enough. i had to hold the lid down manually for it do keep a good water level. also, the becket housing area wasnt totally water proof. it worked but I need to make a better seal for optimum air intake. but considering all this....i feel good about the results. sealing was the least of my worries....i was more worried about some hose or part flying off and having water spray all over.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:16 PM
One Good Friend

What happened to those pics?
Old 06/11/2007, 02:19 PM

sorry, there was a family emergency. Great grandma is dying, so I flew home kinda last minute and I dont get back to school until later today. Hopefully I will have time to put them up then. Sorry for makin everyone wait...but you know...stuff happens.
Old 06/11/2007, 02:52 PM
One Good Friend

Take your time man, and sorry, much more important then some skimmer.
Old 06/13/2007, 01:08 AM

alright, finals and family troubles are kickin my butt, but here are those pics I promised. not bad if i say so myself:

stinky water:
leaky beckett chamber before I fixed it. you can kind of see air bubbles coming from the bottom up.

Very bubbly mixing chamber:

bubbles rising:

foaming! :

I think it still needs some finicking, but that will have to be tested at home. its all packed up and ready for the move back for summer. This thing started to skim in about 5 min flat. of course there was literally a cup of ground fish food in about 10g of water...but hey...i wanted to make sure it would work
Old 06/13/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

That's raunchy. Toilets were invented for a reason .
Old 06/13/2007, 06:52 AM
One Good Friend

Looks sick man! Will be curious how it skims after a good break in.
Old 06/13/2007, 12:27 PM

ya, im really excited to see it all broken in on an actual tank. I'm thinking I might replace the sump box though. I just dont trust the metal piece on it. it says their stainless but even stainless corrodes over time. i think im just going to get one of the all plastic models to ease my mind. plus it wouldnt take a whole lot of work to do. not sure though what do you guys think?
Old 10/21/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Nice thread. Ghetto price...but not ghetto build...
Old 10/21/2007, 11:41 PM

THanks for the compliments. Unfortunately the skimmer has been dismantled and pieced out. I needed the pump as a return for a friend, and i moved so i had to pack it up. I kept all the parts and core compenents though, and it will be used as soon as i have a tank up and running. (my tank was torn down ..... I was rather surprised that it turned out this well, but after more use i would definitely use an all plastic or acrylic bottom. the one i used just didnt seal well enough. but for any of you that were wondering that pump was more than enough, theres no need for a pressure rated power-hog.
-Thanks,
Sam