Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/13/2005, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Question covering tank

I have a 29 gallon tank, and i have had a glass top on it when i first set it up. It is almost a year old and i jst took the top off yesterday. My qestion is if i leave it off will i be able to get more light going into the tank?And also get more air into my water? i also would like to ask what you think is better open or closed top, and what do you do to help keep water from evaporating and also dust out of the tank. thanx in advance
Old 02/13/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Why do you have the glass top - to reduce water loss or to keep in fish which might jump? What type of circulation/filtration do you have for the tank? Fish and/or corals? Have you tested the water parameters lately?

A fully enclosed glass top can interfer with oxygenation of the water unless you have an external sump or other filter. Dust isn't usually an issue. Evaporation is a persistent issue. You just have to replace the evaporation losses with RO/DI water on a regular basis or set-up an auto-top off system.
Old 02/13/2005, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

well, all tank parameters are gret, i have a hob filter, redsea prism skimmer, and one 160gph ph. The only fish i have are a cb angel, two false percs and a mandarin. i am mainly worried if i put it back on will enough light get through from pc light or 5 watts a gallon
Old 02/13/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Some light fixtures say they shouldn't be used over an open top. You likely will get more light, more salt spray on your lights and reflector, and more evaporation with an open top. An auto top-off system would be good. My main tank and sump are both open, my refugium is closed.
Old 02/13/2005, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

This is a question I too am interested in. My 37G oceanic I am setting up comes with a glass top. I will be using a 24" 130W Corlalife Lunarlife Aqualight Power Comapct on it.

I want to do a small reef setup but I am thinking of adding a fish or two that are jumpers and thus would need the top to keep them in.

Will the glass reduce the amount of light getting thur ? Will it get too hot and crack? ( I made that mistake long ago on a FW tank setting a retrofitted light right on my glass hood and came home to find the glass cracked). The light will be up an inch or two off the glass canopy with the aqualight legs

I will have a sump with lots of flow to help oxygenation
Old 02/13/2005, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

The occasional jumper is something I decided to put up with. So far it hasn't been a problem, but my tank is acrylic and has a lip around the top. Yes, the glass will reduce the amount of light some, but if you have enough light that shouldn't be a problem. If you're using legs with your light, you shouldn't have to worry about the glass cracking.

One big advantage to having an open top is heat. The extra evaporation helps to cool the tank some.
Old 02/13/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

if youre worried about fish jumping out, just goto Home Depot and buy an "eggcrate" top. These can be found in the flourescent light department.

Its made out of pretty thin plastic so cutting/shaping it is relatively simple.

a 48" x 36"? sheet is only like $6.
Old 02/13/2005, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]Will the glass reduce the amount of light getting thur ? Will it get too hot and crack? ( I made that mistake long ago on a FW tank setting a retrofitted light right on my glass hood and came home to find the glass cracked). The light will be up an inch or two off the glass canopy with the aqualight legs [/B]
Found out about the galss to thing this weekend. I too recently replaced my lighting and was preping for a water change when low and behold..the d@&* glass in the back was cracked bad. Going to go without one for a while!