Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 02/24/2004, 04:39 PM
Marine Aquarist

Calling all fish breeders...

I am trying to create a list of all the fish and mobile invertebrates that are available captive-bred. You can see the list here. I would like it if you could tell me the names of any fish that are not listed, but are bred in captivity, with successful larva rearing. I do not really want a list of everything in the Breeder's Registry, since it contains some things that you have very little hope of actually getting captive-bred. I would rather that you only listed fish that someone could reasonably get.

Thanks, Trumpet12
Old 02/24/2004, 10:33 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Define "only listed fish that someone could reasonably get" please. Many species have been done, but have been dropped from production for any various reasons. Others can and have been done, but the costs of rearing can presently never compete with WC (ex. non-clown damsels).
Old 02/24/2004, 10:45 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

You can add A. tricinctus to the clown list.

A. akalopsis, A. akindynos, A. chryspoterus and A. nigripes have all been availible in the past.

Oh, and don't forget the often over looked poorer cousin of the GSM. The plain old White Stripe Maroon.

And speaking of varients... what about Black ocellaris, Onyx percula, SI percula, Coral Sea melanopus or New Caledonia melanopus?
Old 02/24/2004, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Don't forget that A. polymnus comes in a brown and black variant. The brown is readily available and I don't know of anyone producing the black at this time... Oama feel free to correct me if you guys have them. You can also add Berghia Nudibrants
Old 02/25/2004, 12:01 AM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus
Don't forget that A. polymnus comes in a brown and black variant. The brown is readily available and I don't know of anyone producing the black at this time... Oama feel free to correct me if you guys have them.
Not quite yet

Quote:
You can also add Berghia Nudibrants
Is that the one that eats aptasia? They are truely wild to observe "stalking" the polyps. Slow and steady...feeling...closer...and then POUNCE!

Oh and Trumpet12, anemones are generally considered sessile organisms.

You can also add two new species of clown gobies and one species of cardinal. After the are debued at this weekends trade show in Orlando.
Old 02/25/2004, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
Not quite yet

Is that the one that eats aptasia? They are truely wild to observe "stalking" the polyps. Slow and steady...feeling...closer...and then POUNCE!
Yep thats the ones.

Quote:

You can also add two new species of clown gobies and one species of cardinal. After the are debued at this weekends trade show in Orlando.
Guess you guys have been busy lately!!!
Old 02/25/2004, 12:37 AM
the cow flys at dawn

darn I love clown gobies why do you guys have to work SOO far away!!!

and depending on the definition of "reasonably get"

Synchiropus splendidus
Gobiodon okinawae
Old 02/25/2004, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

Hippocampus zosterae
H. erectus
H. kuda
H. abdominalis
H. capensis
Only ones I can think of now, I'm half asleep. I'll come up with some more tomorrow.
Old 02/25/2004, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

Is there a reason your not simply using the breeders registry?
Old 02/25/2004, 02:15 PM
the cow flys at dawn

"I do not really want a list of everything in the Breeder's Registry, since it contains some things that you have very little hope of actually getting captive-bred. I would rather that you only listed fish that someone could reasonably get."

kinda works the fish registry is large
Old 02/25/2004, 03:32 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Define "only listed fish that someone could reasonably get"

That's a very hard question, but it is good that it got asked. I guess that I would say that things that are bred on a fairly regular basis count as reasonable to get. Fish that have only been bred once or twice, or that are only 20 or so available each year do not count. Do you think that this is the right way to think about it?

Quote:
And speaking of varients
I was not intending to list variants, but I guess that I should.

Quote:
anemones are generally considered sessile organisms
I know. There were a few reasons that I first decided to put them on, but I probably should take those off the list.

Quote:
You can also add Berghia Nudibrants
I will add those.

Quote:
Gobiodon okinawae
I will add those.

Quote:
Synchiropus splendidus
Where do you get captive-bred Mandarinfish? I have been looking for one.

FishinAggie03,

I will wait for you to wake up and get the whole list.

Also, it would be great if everyone would start posting on the thread that lists the species. JohnL is going to update the list occasionally, based on what is posted there, so if you start posting there, I will not have to move everything.

Thanks, Trumpet12
Old 02/25/2004, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

But it is so much more fun to post here....
Old 03/03/2004, 05:02 PM
Marine Aquarist

If anyone can tell me where to find the CB mandarinfish that rsman mentioned, I would really like that.
Old 03/03/2004, 05:21 PM
the cow flys at dawn

those fit into the "20 a year" category and are not often available.
Old 03/13/2004, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

How about posting the locations of where they can be obtained? This will support the breeders as well as make it easier for the rest of us to obtain them.
Old 03/18/2004, 08:48 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by man910
How about posting the locations of where they can be obtained? This will support the breeders as well as make it easier for the rest of us to obtain them.
Good idea. It might make sense to do this for some of the species that are more difficult to obtain. I would think that it is not necessary to do this for the species that are easy to get, but if someone disagrees I am willing to reconsider.
Old 03/18/2004, 11:26 PM
the cow flys at dawn

the big problem I see is commercial posts are not allowed,

I would hate to be kicked off rc by saying I have X for sale

and how exactly would we seperate ME from trying to sell X from some dumb fishseller that sees a slight change in the rules and decides to post 10,000,000 posts saying you can find fish X over there >>> pointing to himself. though I dont have the answer I only see a potential problem. another thing is a few of the fish places I sell to would probibly(99% sure) not be happy if I said that I sell them my X fish, as it makes a private sale more public and they wouldnt wanna be liable or lose business when/if(more when) I do something stupid.
Old 03/18/2004, 11:32 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

rsman
I know what you mean
Old 03/19/2004, 03:56 PM
Marine Aquarist

JohnL approved the idea, although we would have to check with him again before doing anything radical. If any breeders did not want to be listed, that would obviously need to be respected.
Old 03/19/2004, 04:27 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Trumpet12
JohnL approved the idea, although we would have to check with him again before doing anything radical. If any breeders did not want to be listed, that would obviously need to be respected.
Let us know what exactly the deal is. There are a lot of breeders on RC, many producing similar fish. It would only be fare to list all, which might be quite the job, but beneficial to the hobby and breeders.
Old 03/19/2004, 04:32 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by JHardman
Let us know what exactly the deal is. There are a lot of breeders on RC, many producing similar fish. It would only be fare to list all, which might be quite the job, but beneficial to the hobby and breeders.

Since man910 proposed this, I am hoping that he will explain his idea a bit more.
Old 03/19/2004, 05:04 PM
the cow flys at dawn

IF we are still trying to figure out what the deal really is going to be, a seperation between mass producing and once in a blue moon might be good, yet list both! to be more specific I have ocallaris fry every couple of weeks yet dont have others but a few times a year. at least I think id wanna be on the list somehow maybee(maybe not, id like to run it up a flagpole and see which places I supply to shoot me ) , but id hate to have ppl begging daily asking when ill have a "flying purple people eater" when I only sell a handful a year. and do we publically list the store or just the breeder? as I myself am not really interested in selling retail, id rather sell to a retail business.

so many problems so little solutions
Old 03/19/2004, 06:59 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

The term "Seasonally Availible" comes to mind for species that are not always in large/continous production.
Old 03/20/2004, 06:06 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
The term "Seasonally Availible" comes to mind for species that are not always in large/continous production.
If the people reading the list are as unwilling to buy wild caught organisms as me, they will wait as long as they need to.

Seriously, we could put a note by each species that says whether it is regularly available in large numbers, rarely available in small numbers, or whatever.
Old 03/21/2004, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Since man910 proposed this, I am hoping that he will explain his idea a bit more.
I stumbled onto this thread one night after I ran out of messages to read in the anemone/clownfish forum. After I saw the list of captive-bred species, I thought it would really be a good idea to put some info on where you could buy them. I'm not a breeder and am not really a hardcore "concientious" aquarist. However, I'm always encouraged through books and postings to buy captive-bred but where can you find them? Why don't the authors tell you where you can buy them? Anyway, I ultimately buy wild-caught fish because there seem to be lots of barriers in getting captiv-bred. Hopefully, you guys will make it easier for the casual hobbyist. I already see a lot of politics after my post. I hope you guys can work it out.