Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 10/30/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Question Rotifers

How do you know if your rotifer culters have crashed? And how do you keep ammonia down when your not ready to harvest?
Old 10/31/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I believe if you see lots of small fast moving male rotifers you know you're about to crash. If you don't see any rotifers at all then it has crashed.

To keep ammonia down just do a water changes every few days.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10/31/2007, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Also, a lot of ciliates in the culture is also a sign of impending crash.

I know Reed's advises changing roughly 1/3 of the culture water every day. You can also add one of the ammonia neutralizers like ClorAmX.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 10/31/2007, 12:29 PM
10 & Over Club

I agree---
ChlorAmX is the key.

Once you figure out how much/many rotifers you'll need daily, scale up/down your culture accordingly. Then ensure you remove at least 1/3 even if you have to throw it away. This exchanges clean fresh water, and reduces any potential pollutants
Old 10/31/2007, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Removing a third also keeps the culture young and not old and sterile. Like most life, old ones produce little to zero eggs. Since their life cycle is so short not keeping up with it will create a sterile culture ("crash").
Old 10/31/2007, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

How much ClorAmX should one use per gallon of water? I don't have a dry weight, low weight scale so I'm looking for something like "1/4 teaspoon/gallon" or something like that.

Thanks!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 10/31/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by "Umm, fish?"
How much ClorAmX should one use per gallon of water? I don't have a dry weight, low weight scale so I'm looking for something like "1/4 teaspoon/gallon" or something like that.

Thanks!
Me too

It's not how much water but rather how much food used (=ammonia) to gallonage. We have a feed calculator (MS Excel) that will tell you that IIRC on the RMI site.

It's like most other stuff we add to out tanks. You kind of need to test first and know your starting point so you can add enough to get to your ideal spot, or go by what others have tested and come up with. That being said, it's hard to over dose. I just mix a solution up that I can do a 1:1 feed ratio with and do just that (1:1). I'll have to dig that up as it's on an old dead laptop that I'll have to remove the HD from and get the files off if I can.

We have a IA feed > ClorAmx ratio someplace on our site. I'll run it down later this week for you (no time right now).
Old 10/31/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Thank you all. I guess my culture has not crashed yet. I'm doing a run to see if I can keep rotifers alive before I decide to collect my clowns next eggs.
Old 10/31/2007, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by "Umm, fish?"
Also, a lot of ciliates in the culture is also a sign of impending crash.
Oops, missed that comment. It can also be a sign of gross over feeding (uneaten food).
Old 10/31/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Gresham! That certainly makes way too much sense--how much I would use would depend on how much ammonia I have. I should have figured that answer out myself.

Happy halloween!