Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 10/13/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

maroon clowns fish log for gopens (finally)

Well as some may have read over the past 3 months or so, my maroon clowns have been spawning every 8-10 days. I have tried to raise every clutch with no success. I think my luck is about to change with the clutch that hatched last night.

This is going to be my breeding log. Hopefully the "pros" will chime in with advice.

Last night I pulled the clay pot out of the broodstock tank that mommy maroon has been laying on (luckily). This morning I woke up to about 250-300 babies swimming around waiting for there first food. So in went some nice rotifers. Boy did the fishes like those selcon-soaked rotifers.

There was only 7 dead babies when I woke up this morning--but I guess thats expected during the first night.

The pic below is bad. There only looks like there is a handful of babies but there is really about 250-300 babies swimming around.

Please help me with some advice. Again I have been trying this for a while now-- so I am not new. I have learned the hard way of not doing some things.

Has anybody co-cultured useing Instant Algae. I know IA is a dead product so I am not sure if I want to put any in my fry tank. That was one of my problems before useing Roti-Rich. Once I added RR my fry died within minutes. Thanks again. Here is a pic from day 1.

Old 10/13/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

congradulations and good luck.

L8r,
D
Old 10/13/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Looking good so far. Keep a good stream of bubbles running under that heater. Heaters are death traps.
Old 10/13/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

well maybe i am not so lucky this time. i have had about 40-50 deaths through out the day. i still have about 200 or so left. should I be worried? i have done a couple very small water changes during the day (maybe a cup at a time). Is the deaths expected the first day or so. Maybe they are the ones that wouldn't of made it no mater how perfect the conditions were. please shine some positive light here--I need it. i have spent so much money trying to make this work. just last week I spent 225.00 on 5 million rotifers and some IA. I am getting frustrated. Thanks
Old 10/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Use greenwater, not IA. Also, you should try to co-culture the rotifers, greenwater, and babies all in the same tank. You would also need to culture greenwater in seperate tanks but you get the idea. You also need not by so many rotifers. Once you have a few, they reproduce very quickly.

Several guys only use IA but to start out as a new person, I would say use greenwater until you figure out the basics of baby rearing and keep the baby tank with greenwater.
Old 10/15/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

I have 13 true percula clowns on day 14. I started with about 150 most of which died within 24 hours. I lost quite a few more on day 2 and 3. After the fourth day I stopped losing very many.

I just collected my second batch on Saturday night. I didn't collect as many this time, but I had much less die the first day. I think it was from feeding the parents more often and more variety.

If you've already bought the IA you might as well use it to culture your rotifers. I'm not sure I would use it in your fry tank unless you keep a real close eye on water quality. I've been co-culturing using live nano in my fry tank. So far so good.

This is my first time so take it for what it's worth.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10/16/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Well is day 4 and i only have about 50-60 babies left. i would say about half of them look fat and are a darker color. The other half look thin and still really have no color and just kinda troll on the bottom of the tank. I will keep you posted. Hopefully I can get at least a couple babies to make it. it would give me some confidence for future atempts. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10/16/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

what are yall feeding your clowns?
Old 10/16/2007, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

I feed my clowns formula 1, formula 2, and prime reef mostly.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10/16/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Did you co-culture with IA?
Old 10/19/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

well its the 7th day and there are about 40 or so babies left. about 90% of the babies look nice and fat. the other 10% look skinny and might not make it. Tomorrow will be the 8th day and will be the first day i introduce BBS. When does meta start. i have heard around day 12. does that sound right?
Old 10/19/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nate4546
Did you co-culture with IA?
no. i was afraid to add dead product to the tank.
Old 10/21/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gopens
When does meta start. i have heard around day 12. does that sound right?
Yeah, that's about right. Some of them may take a while longer though. According to Joyce Wilkerson most reach Meta before day 14.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10/26/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

well i have 6 left. they look really good and fat. my question is how long does it take before the colors start to show. they have been black for a week or so. they are 15 days old.