Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2005, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Holes inte side V Holes in the bottom

Im getting closer to setlement with my tank manufacturer but we are still a little seperated on drain hole positioning. I would like to have holes in the bottom with stand pipes and he is recommending holes in the side with external drain pipes. He argues holes in the bottom are more prone to leakage around the bulk head than holes in the side due to the greater water pressure at the bottom than near the surface. What is the general thoughts here?
Old 02/03/2005, 06:16 PM
Moved On

Technically speakign he is correct. Wherever there is more pressure, there is more chance for leakage.

However, if the holes are drilled properly and the bulkheads fit properly, you should worry about any leaking. If there is some dripping, you can seal it tighter with some teflon tape.

Personally, I like them on the bottom. Thats how manufacterers do it with built in overflows.
Old 02/03/2005, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Nuhtty, that is my feeling as well, just I have no experience with this and he is the tank "expert". I will press my point!
Old 02/12/2005, 04:04 AM
Moved On

Ya didn't say if this was a glass tank or not. Makes a difference.

"And all the fish, that lay in dirty water, dying. Have they got you hypnotized?"
Answer---"HuH? I wasn't paying attention."
Old 02/13/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

That would be a glass tank.
Old 02/13/2005, 06:18 PM
Generic Member

I like the holes on the side. I dont like the space the top to bottom RR plumbing uses up nor the big black plastic boxes to "hide" it.
Old 02/13/2005, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

I like the way gregt has done his room divider tank and I will probably do something similar.