Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

lighting!!??

My boyfriend just bought new lights for my reef tank. I was hoping to have 500watts or more going by the 4-6 watt/gal rule. What he got was 260watt total. 4 65watt pc. 2 10.000k daylight and 2 actinic 03 with the 2 built in lunar lights
What will be ok with this lighting and what will need more lighting. my tank is 19" deep 48"long 75 gal. I have 95lbs live rock and a 3in sand bed. I was hoping to be able to house corals , and maybe a clam down the road after I have much more experience.
-Leslie_
Old 02/13/2005, 05:21 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

260 watt PC's will allow you to keep low and mid light critters. A lot Soft corals, Some LPS will be fine. I wouldn't try a clam with PC's unless you could keep it upon the rocks.
Old 02/13/2005, 05:29 PM

The watt/gal rule is really not a good method of measurement. Like in your case you have 260 watts which will probably be ok for softies and some LPS. But PC doesnt have the intesity that say T5's or MH would provide even in the same amounts of wattage. Lets say you have 2 - 150w double ended metal halides on it for a total of 300 watts. This would provide a lot more intense light for things like clams, SPS, or the more light hungry LPS. Im not trying to say you could keep anything with the 2 150w MH's Im just saying the two types of light even when in close wattages are a lot different.

I'm not going to say you can't keep a clam under your pc's because Im sure someone will come along with a claim that they have a Crocea or maxima 2 feet from some pc lights. I do know that they require a lot of intense light to thrive, and pc's arent the best route to achive a lot of intense light...
Old 02/13/2005, 05:30 PM

The Grim Reefer beat me to it while I was typing my typical long winded essay
Old 02/13/2005, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Thankyou!!! All is not lost. I wasn't planning on a clam for quite some time. I just added LR to cycle on Fri and was thinking long term with the clam. Years!! By then I'm sure I'll upgrade anyway.
I currently have a 40watt flourescent. Should I keep that along with the new set-up assuming there is room on the tank?? Would it be beneficial or a waste of space?
-Leslie-
P.S. I like longwinded essays. The more I read and learn the less $ I'll spend on disaster. All replies are appreciated!!
Old 02/13/2005, 06:02 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

You could use the 40w fixture for a N.O. true actinic 03 bulb, since they will flouresce your corals much better than pc actinics.....I have PC lights, but won't use their actinics ( too blue).....Otherwise I wouldn't use the 40w fixture......JME

Start out with shrooms, zoos, and softies. They are enjoyable to keep as well as easy. Good luck
Old 02/13/2005, 06:07 PM

Yeah, what realfreak said.

(that is how I get the posts in so fast)
Old 02/13/2005, 06:13 PM
Go Sooners!

My wife and I have the same lights as you and I will say that we love them. You can keep softies, LPS and lower light clams such as the derasa and squamosa. No problems. Best of luck and congrats to another PC user
Old 02/13/2005, 06:15 PM
Go Sooners!

Oh and the clams will do just fine in the sandbed, no need to keep them high in the rockwork. But like you said earlier, wait til your tank matures a little.
Old 02/13/2005, 06:18 PM

I think you will find very few people who will rocomend keeping clams 19" below PC lights. I ain't saying it can't be done but I am not brave or rich enough to try it.
Old 02/13/2005, 06:26 PM
Go Sooners!

Lower light clams are not a problem under PC's.