Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 12/06/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Co2!

Can anyone break down the CO2 system for me.
Benefits?
Better Brands?
How do the systems work?
Do i really need one, should i get one?

Looking in becoming a more serious reef hobbiest and don't live in the right country to find out any of the questions i have.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Do you mean CO2 for a calcium reactor? Otherwise, further explanation would be helpful because it's not so clear why you would want CO2.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Yes, i would like to know CO2 and the calcium reactor and how they work together or alone.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

CO2 lowers the Ph in the calcium reactor enough to cause the carbonate argonite to disolve and release calcium and all those other good elements (depending on media). The water in the main reactor is recirculated to maximize contact time, and a simple, smaller pump feeds the reactor. A Ph probe on the effuluent combined with a solenoid valve on the CO2 tank is a great combo to have also.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

A calcium reactor is something that can be a real benefit to a reef. On the other hand, you definitely don't have to have one and instead, you can dose your reef with a calcium and an alkalinity additive so that you can maintain the correct balance between the two that is appropriate for a reef. The calcium reactor will free you up to a large extent from having to watch the calcium levels so frequently as you do when you rely on additives. Additives, on the other hand, aren't such a huge hassle. So, you have to decide on which is best for your needs.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

o ok I was looking at a Delux fully automatic COm system from Drsfostersmith...it comes with everything..ph controller, CO2 regulatorw/solenoid, Reactor, small pump, all tubing...just need the CO2 tank!
Old 12/07/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

That's a good one. Now you just need the entirely separate calcium reactor that goes with it.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Yea i was doing an online search on the Calcium reactors.. What do you think is the best buy? and setup? I am totally open to any advice and know little of this system.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I have a marine technical concepts minical...they are a smaller company, but well made. Many people here love the Geo brand. Yes, you need the Ca setup including a tank, solenoid, regulator. I don't have the pH controller, but it would be nice (though your Ca reactor must have a port for the probe to be most effective.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

so i just hook up the CO2 tank to the Ca set up with the solenoid and the regulator...so i can buy that Delux automatic system and connect a Ca setup inline with it?
Old 12/09/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

so i just hook up the CO2 tank to the Ca set up with the solenoid and the regulator...so i can buy that Delux automatic system and connect a Ca setup inline with it?
Old 12/09/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

All you'd need to do is have the output tube from the bubble counter on your CO2 gear go to the CO2 intake port on the calcium reactor. The calcium reactor, of course, would have to be plumbed to a water pump that you'd place in your sump, or plumb dry outside the sump. That water pump is what would circulate the water out of the tank or sump...into the CA reactor...and back into your system's water.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Ahh ok..it's all coming together. Thanks alot Avi. Does anyone sell any combos that include the CO2 and Ca reactor? Or would i have to buy them seperatly?
Old 12/09/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

It seems strange but I've never seen them sold together for one reason or another. That doesn't mean that there isn't anyone that puts the whole deal together. But, I think that since the two are manufactured by different kinds of companies, they just aren't ever put together as one saleable item. You'd probably be best off looking at

www.marinedepot.com

My guess is that you'd find that they just sell the two separate items.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

http://thereefstop.com/index.php?act...od&productId=7

comes with everything but the co2 tank
Old 12/09/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

sweet thanks Sam