Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2006, 07:05 PM
Guardian of Little People

Can we pick a topic and stick with it?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 01/03/2006, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Frankly I think this thing has pretty much run out of fuel. Some of us had questions and some were answered. Some of us wanted to find out why this was so "hush, hush" and now we have a better understanding. It has been a intersting discussion. Tomorrow I will get back to the Reef forum and post my experience with my new Sea Hare.
(going to update homepage soon!)
Old 01/03/2006, 07:10 PM
Team RC Member

I don't blame people for wanting to take a vacation from the online world for awhile. Not sure how everything is going to turn out but John's online so hopefully we can get his word. Haven't heard from him in awhile. If people want to leave then let them leave and let them be.
Old 01/03/2006, 07:13 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

I say lock it up push the button. I am out of popcorn.[IMG]http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/lurk.gif[/IMG]

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 07:16 PM
Guardian of Little People

I would prefer the thread die on its own rather than to perform a mercy killing.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 01/03/2006, 07:19 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Oh well. I tried. During moderator try outs do they test the button skills? Premature button pushing - 15 points

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414737#post6414737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romanr
Alright so I will try to summarize here:

1) There is a faction on RC who has little respect/love for RC's Experts (Calfo, Eric B, Dr. Ron). They don't consider them to be experts, dispute their credentials and just plain dislike them.

2)The DSB/BB discussions were just the latest avenue for this dislike to be showcased.

3)The experts got fed up and left.

I know this is an oversimplification but I bet I'm pretty close.
I feel statements like the above are very inflamatory. Being married 10+ years has taught me there are two sides to any disagreement. To claim that a faction dislikes these experts is very harsh. Just because there is a difference of opinion, doesnt mean someone dislikes or disrespects the other individual. Have you talked to the experts personally? Did you talk to both sides? If you cannot answer yes to BOTH of the above questions, I dont feel you can make a statement as to what happened. I dont feel it is our place to make blanket accusations. We were not involved. As I stated before, just because we are curious doesnt make it any of our business.

"All things thru Him"
Old 01/03/2006, 07:54 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
Greenbean. I have e-mails from Calfo and Eric that say otherwise! Also read Dr. Ron's blog. They don't site specific people but blame an atmosphere that they did not like. What do you think they are referring to!
I probably know as much of the backstory as anyone on RC. I knew of the trouble on the horizon before Ron did and before Eric made his comments about the corals. I've been in contact with both Eric and Ron personally and while the agressiveness of some members probably played into their decisions, it wasn't their main reason for leaving. I know why they left, but out of respect for them I'm not going to make it public, and I don't think it's out of line for the mods to do the same. Like they have said, if they wanted people to know then they can share.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414896#post6414896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Micki
Interesting that you as a sponsor didn't get a response from GregT. I thought the reason I didn't get responses was because I am a peon in the RC community! I sent e-mails and also left voice mails for GregT regarding automatic premium membership renewal and NEVER received anything back! I also talked to a few of the staff that said they would talk to him or get a message to him and still nothing. I finally gave up. But rest assured they won't get my money next year...
I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I have never published my phone number for anyone to call.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:14 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415644#post6415644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregt
I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I have never published my phone number for anyone to call.
I thought you giving out your phone number sounded a little strange, but what do I know?

Kevin
Old 01/03/2006, 08:19 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415644#post6415644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregt
I know what went wrong. He was in the Brady Bunch web site.

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 08:26 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415726#post6415726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jay4Robin
I know what went wrong. He was in the Brady Bunch web site.

Come on... get me all excited... got a link?

SteveU
Old 01/03/2006, 08:28 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415776#post6415776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
Come on... get me all excited... got a link?

SteveU
http://www.barrywilliams.net/

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6414559#post6414559 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
Since you are here and posting now, why don't you speak for yourself and simply state why you left? Of all the participants, I am most curious to hear from you.
That's easy. Professionalism and respect.

I do not believe it would be professional or appropriate for me to air my dirty laundry here. I still hold JohnL in the highest regard and I am trying very hard not to make matters for him worse than they already are.

But to clarify one thing. I have made it clear to the appropriate people why I stepped down. Most of them chose not to hear my words and believe what fit their preconceived notions instead. My responsibilities were to JohnL and the members of RC. I believe I have upheld those responsibilities with far more decorum and professionalism than pretty much anyone else involved. I have spoken with John at length to be sure he completely understands and that is all I am required to do IMO.

Despite what anybody may think about any of this I think I have done my part with incredible grace and restraint considering the way I was treated by some involved. There are certain parts of the story I am willing to divulge, but not here. That is just plain tacky. I have never done anything to harm RC and I'm not about to start doing it now.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:34 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415818#post6415818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregt

I do not believe it would be professional or appropriate for me to air my dirty laundry here. I still hold JohnL in the highest regard and I am trying very hard not to make matters for him worse than they already are.

But to clarify one thing. I have made it clear to the appropriate people why I stepped down. Most of them chose not to hear my words and believe what fit their preconceived notions instead. My responsibilities were to JohnL and the members of RC. I believe I have upheld those responsibilities with far more decorum and professionalism than pretty much anyone else involved. I have spoken with John at length to be sure he completely understands and that is all I am required to do IMO.

Despite what anybody may think about any of this I think I have done my part with incredible grace and restraint considering the way I was treated by some involved. There are certain parts of the story I am willing to divulge, but not here. That is just plain tacky. I have never done anything to harm RC and I'm not about to start doing it now.
Marsh would be proud of you!! Alice also. seriously I look foward to chating in a normal forum!
Jay

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415818#post6415818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregt

Greg, please check your email.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

It all seems similar to the Jordan rules that helped to bring an end to the Chicago Bulls championship run. Sometimes the players begin to think they are more important than the coach.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

SCARYBO, I base this on an e-mail from some guy who sent me an e-mail titled "Your Reef Central postings and idoltry of Dr. Ron". Where he claims that he and his bunch ran the experts out of town. I can forward you the e-mail if you like. I base the other side on several e-mails I have gotten from Calfo and Eric B and from Dr. Ron's blog today. I also base this on my observations since I've joined RC. It didn't take many posts for me to figure out that whenever one mentioned any of the experts as sources that one was ridiculed for using such sources. Same goes for Sprung, Delbeek, and others. I know this isn't everybody but there is a vocal few that don't make their dislike for these experts unknown. I have no dog in this fight. I just don't understand why these experts are so disrespected. I understand disagreement and airing things out but let me forward you the e-mail I got from the BB guy. Tell you condone such behavior in this community.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Greenbean, I don't know any of these guys personally. I have background on each and have read their books and articles. As I said above I am basing my opinion on the things I mention on the post above. Both Calfo and Eric B and Dr. Ron seem to make it pretty clear as to one of the reasons they felt compelled to leave.
Damn it! I thought we were done with this. And I was but I don't want anyone to think I'm making stuff up or drawing illogical conclusions.
Old 01/03/2006, 08:54 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Greg Brady,
i am sorry that Greg from RC stole your spotlight.

DVRC Vice President
Old 01/03/2006, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

All I can say is that something is screwed up when people that have as much knowledge to share as Calfo, Dr.Ron.... no longer are comfortable here.
Old 01/03/2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415905#post6415905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romanr
SCARYBO, I base this on an e-mail from some guy who sent me an e-mail titled "Your Reef Central postings and idoltry of Dr. Ron". Where he claims that he and his bunch ran the experts out of town.
Post it...
Old 01/03/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I'm sure ego didn't play a part in all of this. Not.
Old 01/03/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I did and it got removed within 3 seconds. PM me with an e-mail address as others have and I will forward it to you. I won't share the e-mails from Calfo and Eric B because they didn't tell me it was OK to share and I'm not about to ask.
Old 01/03/2006, 09:30 PM
Get Your War On!!

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6415905#post6415905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by romanr
I just don't understand why these experts are so disrespected.
Nobody was disrepected and everyone here respected them very much. Anything Anthony said became gospel IMHO, Nobody ever second guessed Dr. Ron's IDs and sand bed info etc..., and nobody ever questioned Eric's IDs and coral info etc...
Nobody that was ever opposite "the debate" with Eric or Dr. Ron would say any different either.

But, as an analogy, when a student, in say...a history class wants to talk about some current events and what the history professor's take on them are, or heaven forbid, something in the textbook might come into question, but the student is ignored, or given a contrarian token answer and told to put their hand down, and sit back down without an explanation, then that can lead to some hard feelings, but the student still has to come back to class the next day and maybe ask a different question and take the professor's word on it, and take notes and regard them as facts, and respect the professor's knowledge...but that doesn't mean they will forget the slight...or that they have to treat the professor like the President.
And if your friend asks the same question the next day and is treated just like you, and then the professor doesn't come to school to teach the class the next day...well that's just silly.....though the professor may just be on sabbatacle, maybe he had a disagrement with the Dean, or is doing some research, maybe he's finding an answer to you questions, you won't know unless he tells you, and if he tells the Dean he's gonna quit then there is not much anyone can do, and you may even wonder how much he cared about the class... but badgering the adjunct won't get you any answers though () : )

As an aside:
My post count: 1631
Coral Forum: maybe 5
Invert Forum: none
All things salty: maybe 20

That pretty much puts thing in perspective for me, though I have probably read most of Anthony's posts, and look forward to reading any future posts he makes, here and elsewhere () : )

cheers,

grimmjohn

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.