Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Cutting glass baffles

Hey all. Hope this hasn't been answered a million times. I've searched, and came up with many threads, but none addressing my exact question.

I have a 10 gal glass tank that I'm going to turn into a refugium. I need a total of 4 glass baffles, but don't know where to turn to for glass cutting.

Does anyone know, or can point me to a thread where cutting glass is explained?

Additionally, how does one create an opaque baffle? Since the tank is glass, and I'm using silicone, the baffles will be glass too.

Much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11/27/2007, 09:57 PM
King of the white corals

ive cut glass with a cheapo $66 tile wet saw from Home depot many times. It wouldnt work so well if you were building a tank...but for cutting baffles, a wet saw and any cheap diamond blade will work just fine
Old 11/27/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

I do stained glass and have cut a lot of glass. There's really not much to it but you can buy it cut to size at Lowes or Home Depot. To cut glass all it takes is a carbide wheel glass cutter (cost about $5 or less and they last a long time) a solid surface and a straight edge. aly the glass on the table on a couple of sheets of yesterdays newspaper, measure and place the straight edge (remember that the cutter will be offset by an 8th of an inch or so). Hold the straight edgemedium tight to the glass and set the cutter wheel on the glass with the cutter edge snug to the straight edge and position the wheel about a 4th of an inch or so from the edge of the glass. draw the cutter smoothly across the glass using a ligh to medium pressure. You'll hear a sound that lets you know that the glass is being scored. You can't backup or start over so position it and commit to it after checking twice. after running the scoreposition the glass so that the scored line is across the table edge, hold the over the air piece and lift it up a couple of inches and then push back down so that you crisply (not forcefully) drop it back down without letting go of thesuspended part. It will break cleanly on the score line. Use emery paper to dull the sharp edges if you want (highly recommended on the top edges).
Old 11/27/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
ive cut glass with a cheapo $66 tile wet saw from Home depot many times. It wouldnt work so well if you were building a tank...but for cutting baffles, a wet saw and any cheap diamond blade will work just fine
Thanks, flyyyguy. I was hoping to do this without the expense of pwr. tools.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bhbell
. . . . and position the wheel about a 4th of an inch or so from the edge of the glass. draw the cutter smoothly across the glass using a ligh to medium pressure. You'll hear a sound that lets you know that the glass is being scored. You can't backup or start over so position it and commit to it after checking twice. after running the scoreposition the glass so that the scored line is across the table edge, hold the over the air piece and lift it up a couple of inches and then push back down so that you crisply (not forcefully) drop it back down without letting go of thesuspended part. It will break cleanly on the score line. Use emery paper to dull the sharp edges if you want (highly recommended on the top edges).

Are you saying here to not begin the score from the very end (edge) of the piece, but start the score a quarter of an inch from the edge? In other words, if the piece to be broken off is 9" long, the score line is actually 8 3/4" long? ... or am I misunderstanding.

Thanks for taking the time and the awesome detailed explanation!
Old 11/27/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Why not just have whoever you buy it from cut it?

also in a 10 gallon tank rethink the 4 baffles, I did 4 in mine one got messed up so now i have 3 and still no MB's
Old 11/27/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

call a mirror store thats local they have glass and mirrors etc. i got mine quoted cheap.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

My build thread shows me cutting the baffles using a glass cutter and some oil. <$10 from home depot. Check it out.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

i'm all about diy but i let the store i buy the glass from cut it. they do it for free at lowes,and home depot
~Richard
Old 11/28/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Well, the DIY'er in me really wants to cut this glass just to say I've done it. If HD will cut it for free, I'll have them do it. Otherwise, I'm going to do it as dhogan suggests.

Beautiful build, BTW, dhogan! Is the rubble working on the return side of that sump to keep the microbubbles from entering the display tank?
Old 11/28/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

The rubble helps, a lot of bubbles that make it through the baffles also hit my cheato. I run a filter sock many times, but not always. With the filter sock there are no microbubbles, but when i get lazy and take it off, there aren't any either.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

i was wondering if i could cut glass on a tile cutter cleanly, or at all. Specifically the maestro from HD. never really thought about it, but was wondering
Old 11/28/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefSparky
Are you saying here to not begin the score from the very end (edge) of the piece, but start the score a quarter of an inch from the edge? In other words, if the piece to be broken off is 9" long, the score line is actually 8 3/4" long? ... or am I misunderstanding.

Thanks for taking the time and the awesome detailed explanation!
Thats correct. If you start right at the edge you'll likely chip the edge of the glass.
Old 11/28/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bhbell
Thats correct. If you start right at the edge you'll likely chip the edge of the glass.
thanks for the reply!
Old 11/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

I would satisfy the DIY urge with drinking a beer while the glass shop cuts the glass (or Lowes, HD, Ace, whatever). It will make life much easier The smaller the piece, the harder it is to cut. You don't have to be honest and tell people that the store cut it.. just say you did it yourself... and drink another beer
Old 11/28/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Use Acrylic. Buy a sheet at hardware and cut with Razor knife.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
I would satisfy the DIY urge with drinking a beer while the glass shop cuts the glass (or Lowes, HD, Ace, whatever). It will make life much easier The smaller the piece, the harder it is to cut. You don't have to be honest and tell people that the store cut it.. just say you did it yourself... and drink another beer
Talk about satisfying a DIY urge!! Now THAT'S satisfying!
Old 11/28/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plummike
Use Acrylic. Buy a sheet at hardware and cut with Razor knife.
Unless you know some secret I don't, it's pretty challenging to affix acrylic to glass reliably.