Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

going scuba diving

i went diving on a beach in puerto rico called crash boat .i always snorkel when im in puerto rico.last year my wifes cousin invited me to dive i said i didnt know how to but he gave me a quick lesson and there i was 30 feet of water and it was beautiful,i also dove 25 feet in rincon puerto rico and im not certified i plan on getting my certificate within the next year. any fish lover who hasnt been snorkeling or diving i recommend it its almost as good as sex.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:27 PM
10 & Over Club

I highly recommend not diving without getting certified first. With proper training it is a safe sport, without proper training the risk for things like embolism are high. Even in 30 feet.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 11/22/2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

yes it really only takes 3-4 feet of water too have an air embolizm. The avioli in your lungs rupture and you are in big trouble. It happens when you hold your breath on acent. I watched half of my certification class not show up the next day after my teacher told us all of the things that could go wrong on a dive. Learn the facts before you dive, its very important to your well being
Old 11/22/2007, 08:24 AM
10 & Over Club

Not to mention that if you pass 30 feet you now have to know about no decompression limits if you don't want the risk the bends.

Old 11/22/2007, 08:27 AM
10 & Over Club

BTW, we're not busting on you, just want to see you be safe. You were unaware of the problems, your wife's cousin should have known better

Old 11/23/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

hey you guys are right i was just so curious since i love marine life and stuff but my wifes cousin fully explained to me about the bends and all that,i was next to him the whole time,definitely i will have my certification b4 i go again.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:06 AM
Registered Member

I want to get certified with my gf where in pr did u go?
Old 11/27/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

man they are all over the island,im currently living in new york 2 but have a house in aguada puerto rico
Old 12/04/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Theoretically the biggest risk of injury is in the 0-33' depth. you gain one atmosphere of pressure and subsequently the risks of injury from not maintaining an open airway on ascent or properly clearing your ears on descent.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

By the way Bill, you CAN get bent in water at less than 30 feet but it is likely that inexperienced divers would run out of air first.

OWSI 50773

~Steve~
Old 12/09/2007, 08:43 AM
10 & Over Club

snorvich,

What dive tables are you looking at? The PADI Air tables start at 35', for which the NDL is 205 minutes. Even that requires multiple tanks for an experienced diver.

Old 12/09/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

snorvich, where are you getting your information from? I ran several simulations using DecoPlanner where I completely saturated ALL tissue compartments (Buhlman 16-B mathematical model) at 30 feet for over 8 hours and I don't get enough tension across the tissue cell boundaries to cause the formation of bubbles.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

he probably just means "hurt" holding your breath and ascending from 30 feet would not be pretty.... I agree getting bent at 30 would be a bit of a challenge....
Old 12/09/2007, 01:13 PM
10 & Over Club

Could be. Embolisms are easy