Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2006, 11:37 AM
Moved On

Which camera, D80 or xTi?

So here's the dilemma. I just graduated and my mom said she will get me any camera I want. The question is which is better, D80 or Rebel xTi? I don't want anything too expensive so these are what I'm limited to. I figured either is ok but I would like opinions to make my final choice. PLEASE NO BASHING ANYONES OPINIONS. ONLY ONE OPINION FROM EACH PERSON PLEASE. I know the xTi has been out for a year and the D80 has just come out so probably not as many opinions on that. I would like to take fast frame photos if possible with these. I am an amateur at best but willing to learn. It's just that it's hard to learn if all you have is the internet because they use all these mumbo jumbo terms. So which is better and why...not because one is a Nikon or one is a Canon. Also this camera will mainly be used for taking pics of fish and corals in tanks.
TIA
Mike
Old 12/17/2006, 11:49 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

There is no "better." Both are good enough cameras that you, the photographer, will end up being the weak link. Go to the store, hold both in your hand and take a few pictures. Buy the one that you're more comfortable with. You're the only one who can make that call.

It really does just come down to Nikon vs. Canon and folks who've invested in one or the other will vote their brand. That being said buy a Canon.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

You are not so much buying a individual camera but a companies system and you cant go wrong with either one. Compare prices on the lenses you might wish to use from both companies. Traditionally wedding photogs have chosen Nikon ; sports (look at any sideline) and wildlife guys go with Canon.

I think you will find the Canons sensor will produce less noise at higher ISO settings then the Nikon but I am a Canon guy with many thousands invested in their equipment so I am not entirely impartial.

Last edited by Blue Deuce; 12/17/2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:28 PM
Moved On

Yeah that's what i thought it would come down to but I was hoping that someone that didn't like either would chime in and tell me the bads about each. I know they're both cameras and right now I AM leaning towards Canon because of their fast frame capabilities but I've heard great things about Nikon.
Old 12/17/2006, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

This question is asked time and time again, with the same results. Here's the short answer:

They're both equal cameras. You have to go with the one that feels the best in your hands.

A close friend is in law enforcement. When he went to purchase his pistol, he went to a firing range, and held pistol after pistol in his hands, deciding which one felt right to HIS HANDS. After all, his very life may someday depend on it. He ended up buying a Glock. I found I preferred a Ruger, but I have different hands with different proportions.

So... go to a camera shop, and hold both cameras. Close your eyes and make sure the button locations are where you feel they should be. When I was shopping, I was only looking at Canon because I already had Canon lenses. Had I no lenses, I also would have given Nikon a serious look. THEY ARE EQUAL WORLD CLASS COMPETITORS. My decision was between the Original Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, or 20D. For me, the first one ruled out was the XT, because it was small. I had already gotten used to the size of the 35mm film Canons, and the XT didn't feel right. I would have chosen the inferior original Rebel over the XT for this reason alone. In the end, I went with a 20D, because it felt more like what I was already used to, and the buttons were in the same place. When I go to shoot, I don't ever need to look at the camera, because I already know where all the buttons are, and how to get to any function without looking. That's the important part.

Put them in your hands. Carry them around. Work your fingers around the bodies and judge which feels better. Only you can decide which of these two equal cameras you like better.
Old 12/17/2006, 05:39 PM
CT Area Reef Society

I am personally a Canon person, my major deciding factor was the lower noise at high ISO (faster photos and low light situations will be when you need higher ISO btw) I'm happy with the XT, mainly bought for price, but I knew it would be smaller, which is fine with me because I have small hands.
Your most important factor in the system is going to be your lenses, the lense it comes with will be fine for starting off, I still have mine, but don't really use it. It all depends on what you want to shoot, for faster shots (and if you really enjoy photography) you're going to want a pretty expensive lens, for instance I just purchessed my first L lense a 24-70 but it cost me a pretty penny (1k+) but I love it and use it the most. For my tank I mainly use my Canon 100mm macro (400ish) but there are many other brands of lenses out there that are more affordable, you just have to research them first and see if they have good reviews, remember in most cases you get what you pay for.
I completly agree with everyone else, go to a store and FEEL what you like, I have nothing against Nikon, I just happened to buy Canon, and it's the person that makes the photo, not the camera, trust me I know as I am still getting some pretty aweful shots.
Old 12/17/2006, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

If I had to choose between the D80 and the Xti I would choose the D80 and I'm a Caonon guy myself.
Old 12/17/2006, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

ssbreef, that's great and anecdotal. Do you have any reason for this preference?
Old 12/18/2006, 09:16 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Ok, *someone* has to represent Nikon so I guess it's me

*I* love my Nikon gear. But that's me and that's where the representing ends.

I am a FIRM believer in going with what feels good in your hands. Take a look at several different cameras. Feel how they are built, how they fit in your hands, how they are balanced with a sizable lens on the end, etc....you need to take all these things into consideration.

Also, don't rule out the Sony Alpha just yet...and also take a look at the Olympus E-volt cameras...just to hedge your bets and make sure you have checked into everything in the field. I'm sure it will come down to N v. C in the end but do shop around at least a little.

Also remember....body is good but glass is better. I've spoken with many photogs who would trade the D80 for the D70s and spend the extra money on a nice lens or two.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I bought both last week from because I couldn't decide! I ended up keeping the D80 and returning the Xti. The Nikon just felt better in my hands than the Canon did. The Canon was a bit small for my hands. I bought both with 100mm/105mm macro/micro lenses and they both shot very well tank shots and scenery. Then Canon clicking mechanism was a bit louder than the Nikon if quiet shots are required. I got the Nikon at Ritz for $1199 with 18-135mm lens.
Old 12/19/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
ssbreef, that's great and anecdotal. Do you have any reason for this preference?
Notice the part with the "I"......
Old 12/19/2006, 03:02 PM
Moved On

Ok, I went to Best Buy just to pick them up and see how they feel. I picked up the D80, XTi, 30D and the A100. A100 is deffinately out. The 30D didn't feel that great. I like the feeling of both cameras. The buttons both seem to be in decent places. Both wheels turn smoothly, unlike the 30D. So I guess the choice is between the XTi and the D80? Back to wear I started. I also wanted to handle the D200 but they didn't have it there. I guess my next stop will be to Ritz Cameras to ask someone their opinion. I just hope they'll be honest and not a salesman.
Old 12/19/2006, 03:09 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

What you just experienced is why you need to stop asking other people's opinions and go with what feels right to you. All of the cameras that you mention will produce excellent images when used properly.

I can't stand the controls on the XTi which is one reason why I own a 30D. In your hand, the XTi feels better. No one can help with that decision.

(The average person behind the counter at Ritz is a minimum wage retail person; not a camera expert.)

Last edited by beerguy; 12/19/2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12/19/2006, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
(The average person behind the counter at Ritz is a minimum wage retail person; not a camera expert.) [/B]
And a salesman.
Old 12/19/2006, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Here are some newbie shots with the D80 and 105mm lens...

Old 12/19/2006, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Few more

Old 12/19/2006, 08:36 PM
Moved On

nice shots
thanks for the pics
does anyone with an xti have any example shots?
Old 12/19/2006, 08:57 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

FateX8 - at the resolution that you can post on a website there is no way you can tell the difference between the cameras. Even at full resolution it's unlikely that you'd be able to see any real difference. At this level of photography, the quality of the lens and the skill of the photographer are what make the picture. The camera is just a tool. Pick the one that feels good.

You've been asking for advice but you don't see to want to listen to it.

Old 12/19/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Beerguy is right, I had both camera's and both are great shooting pics. You have to see which one "feels" better to your hands and the ease of use of the controls and buttons to you. Most of the sales people I have talked to won't bash any of the two companies.
Old 12/20/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Just purchased the XTi should have it in a week. From my use the XTi is just a little smaller than I would like but I ordered the battery grip which seems to help.

I bought the XTi because I had used the older XT for a short time and enjoyed it, plus it was in my price range. As an added bonus I have a friend in the photography business who is willing to share lenses and experience with me.

Good luck on your purchase.

-unknown
Old 12/20/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FateX8
nice shots
thanks for the pics
does anyone with an xti have any example shots?
Looks like you really like that Xti. Just buy it already! It's a great camera! asking for example shots of the Xti wont mean anything, like beerguy said.
"at the resolution that you can post on a website there is no way you can tell the difference between the cameras. Even at full resolution it's unlikely that you'd be able to see any real difference. At this level of photography, the quality of the lens and the skill of the photographer are what make the picture. The camera is just a tool."
Old 12/20/2006, 10:16 AM
clownfish fan

i have the XTI it is awsome i only have the base lens that it came with new big screen on the back is nice i say go for it and put the money you save on the camera into the best lens you can get
Old 12/20/2006, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Like everyone said, a camera is only a fraction of the whole system and probably the least important component.
I'm a Nikon guy and have shot thousands of reef shots both for myself and my local reef club. You can click on my website and view them. All of the macros are done with the 105mm and I recently upgraded to the 105mm VR.
Old 12/20/2006, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Here is something I did not know I am sure others do, Canon has an awesome array of lenses vs. Nikon that was also a deciding factor for me. Somebody posted dpreview dot com which has some good reviews and info on many cameras.

-unknown
Old 12/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I wish I learned from others here when I started in this hobby. First I got the Nikon D50 kit w/ 18-55 lens, Sigma 105 macro and the 18-200 vr but wasn't satified with the macro shots and got the D200. I've to say the macro pictures came out better with the D50 'in macro mode' then on the D200 'auto mode'. The high-end cameras are not going to help us beginners untill we learned how to use all the varies features on the camera. I'd the opportunity to play with the Canon 5d with the Canon 100 macro lens and I just can't get those great looking pictures like I see online and this is certainly not the fault of the camera but mine. The point is pick the one you are most comfortable with and stick with it and try different features, such as AP, SP, ISO, WB etc. If you read all the forum reviews and user reviews in dpreview, fredmiranda and others they all have different opinions and you still can be debating in the years to come. Manufactures will always be coming out with new cameras and you can be buying a new one just about every quarter. Important thing I learned so far is to get the best lenses you can afford because those will last a long time. Just look at the Canon 5D and people are using their old lenses. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your choice.