Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/04/2002, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Just a funny story

i have a 5 1/2 gallon nano that has a small clown and a clown goby, along with hermits, a peppermint shrimp, some xenia, star and button polyps, and a brittle star. not funny yet? just wait...
next to my nano i have a tank that contains 5 gray treefrogs. lately i've noticed the male treefrog spends any time not eating and calling the females by watching my nano with great interest. he's especially fond of the goby, immediately plastering himself to the wall facing the nano whenever the goby is out and about. i'm sure he just wants to eat them, but i think it's hilarious, especially since all the other frogs could care less about any fish swimming in the next tank over.
the other thing i want to know about is one of my button polyps. today i watched a lone stalk of xenia about 3" come free and float around the tank for about a minutes before it landed on the button polyp. then the button closed on it, and within 5 minutes devoured the whole thing! has anyone else seen similar behavior with buttons? i was amzed he ate the whole thing, since he was only about the size of maybe a nickle. he looks bigger already, and i'm not worried about my xenia, theres enough to go around. but the polyp isn't going to be harmed is he? let me know guys. weird sh*t going on in the nano. i wonder what the frog thought of all this.
Old 02/04/2002, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

When I lived on the west coast ,I found a wild green tree frog living in my bathroom. Is it not strange that there are no known saltwater amphibians? I've never seen my button polyps eat any xenia. That is weird.
Old 02/04/2002, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Now see I don't know why that is. I was wondering if there were any known salt water amphibians, does anyone else know anything of it? Thanks, just wondering.
Old 02/04/2002, 09:36 AM
Highly Ionized

Well, let us not forget Bufo Marinus , the marine toad, plague of South Florida. My friends used to have to shoo them away from their dog's food dish.
I don't think they breed in SW, though.
I think those treefrogs think the gobies are flying insects, and would like to have them for lunch.