Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Baffling Baffles!

Hi everybody,

I just got a new tank to make a sump for my main system, and I am planning on using the glass baffles from my old sump (it sprung a leak).

The only problem is that the width of the new tank is like 1/8" or so less than the old tank, so the baffles are just slightly too big to fit into the new tank.

Any ideas on how to easily remove 1/8" or so of glass from the baffles so that they can fit?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 12/04/2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Just get new baffles cut at the local hardware store... it will be cheap and save you a lot of grief.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Much easier to get new than to trim, grind, sand, chew, naw 1/8 of an inch... is acrylic an option?
Old 12/04/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

is the 1/8 on the sides of them...if so just set you baffles up at an angle.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Or if you want to cut them, clamp your straightedge 1/4" in from the edge (assuming your glass cutter is 1/8" from edge to blade) and make your cut. If you need an eighth gone from both sides, put your straightedge 3/8ths in and cut off a quarter.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses.

I should be able to cut most of them, as my sump tank is actually smaller than the last one. The baffles on the old sump were about 12"x13" high for the sump champer, and about 12"x9" for the return chamber.

My new baffles are all going to be around 12"x8" high, so the only real problem is with the 12x9 baffle, as there is less space to cut.

As for making the edges smooth, can I just use a palm sander and some standard aluminum oxide sandpaper?

Finally, when siliconing the baffles in, how much of a gap could there be between the baffle and the tank... ie how much space can the silicone fill on each side?

Thanks again!

Tim
Old 12/04/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Take them to a glass shop they can cut them and it should not cost to much if you provide the glass.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddraal
Or if you want to cut them, clamp your straightedge 1/4" in from the edge (assuming your glass cutter is 1/8" from edge to blade) and make your cut. If you need an eighth gone from both sides, put your straightedge 3/8ths in and cut off a quarter.
I don't think he will have much luck trying to snap a piece of glass that narrow.

It will cost as much for the glass shop to grind it to size as it will to purchase a few new small pieces of glass cut to the proper size.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Look for a stained glass store or studio in the yellow pages. A quarter is not hard to cut and with the right tools it is done very quickly. It takes a standard glass cutter and a pair of breaking pliers (the jaws are a nested concave-convex with a soft plastic cover) that you use to "run the score" made by the cutter.
Old 12/04/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

That would certainly work.... but I would still just run to the hardware store and get $15 worth of new glass
Old 12/04/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Ahh yes, but this way I'd have $15 dollars worth of beer and the baffle.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

If it is your last $15 then you have problems.

I prefer to look at it as opportunity cost. 10 minutes at Ace hardware and $15 is 2 more hours that I could spend drinking beer. Why bother going through the trouble when the alternative is so cheap and allows more beer time.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

My wife tried that "I'm saving you money by spending money" theory once and I didn't buy it then either. Of course I could see the wisdom of it if the liquor store is next to the hardware store. You could then satisfy two needs in one trip. :-)
Old 12/05/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I will see what I can do about getting new ones cut. I might as well try to cut it myself first though... at least it would be a bit of practice.

Anyways, about my other question, how much space can silicone fill? Like, if I get new baffles cut and leave like 1/8" on either side, can the silicone fill that gap? What is the largest gap it can fill?

Thanks!

Tim
Old 12/05/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

You should do fine with an 8th.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:12 AM
Registered Member

I removed 3/16" from a huge piece of 1/2" starphire. The glass shop cut it too long to fit into my stainless steel frame, and I didn't want to have to cut and re-do the frame.

I used a cheapy water cooled tilesaw, and actually cut the amount I needed off the very heavy sheet of glass with no help. (looking back, I should have waited for someone to get home to help hold it steady )

If you happen to have one, just set the fence and go for it. It cuts through glass like buter.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

That would work too... if you have one
Old 12/06/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Nice... too bad I don't have something like that available. The best I could do is a dremel or a skill saw!

Tim
Old 12/06/2007, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

You mean you have not purchased new baffles and got them siliconed in place yet?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan_paskadi
is the 1/8 on the sides of them...if so just set you baffles up at an angle.
So simple, why not?
Old 12/06/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

It may be a week or so till I get the new sump in action. I'm supposed to be studying for exams here!

I may see how the baffles look at an angle... don't want too big of an angle though!

Tim
Old 12/07/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Well, I have decided to just get new baffles instead.

Just wondering whether to get glass or acrylic. I'm not even sure where to find acrylic... would standard glass shops carry it?

Also, should the corners on the bottom be rounded? If they are not, is there a chance the corners could damage the silicone seal of the aquarium?

Thanks,

Tim