Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

Cool My very first RBTA

Hey there,

so this is my first RBTA that I just got recently. I decided to get it cause it has a beautiful color and I got it for a pretty good deal, not to mention, he's HUGE!

Another reason is because I previously bought another clown for my tank with hopes that he wouldn't fight with my original clown, they both ended up pairing in less than a day, so Im really happy about that and I decided to buy em RBTA.

Excuse my pix quality. Just wanted to post them up ASAP, will try to get a better shot soon.

My Original Clown + Eibli Angel

My newly paired Clowns
Old 11/16/2007, 03:30 AM
Registered Member

congrats man
Old 11/16/2007, 03:49 AM
Registered Member

Talking Thank you~

Thank you, I know it's nothing special, just feel like a big accomplishment since my first few tanks has always been reefs.

Doing Anemone is a new challenge for me... I never had to deal with a walking coral before. haha. Anywho, Thank you for your support, any other comments are also welcome.

Another thing I want to mention is that, I currently have PC, although Im planning to upgrade it to T5 soon, any particular spec or brand or wattage I should get?

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 11/16/2007, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Very nice..grats!

Just make sure you get HO T5s. How long and deep is your tank? Aquactinics makes a nice fixture, their are retro solutions, and there's even the higher end ATI powermodules. Give us some more details about your system..
Old 11/16/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

ooo pretty..it looks very healthy..dang another ocellaris hosting a bta, I hope some day my ocellaris will host a bta, since I don't want to try a carpet anemone. Maybe people have a better chance getting a ocellaris to want a bta if its a really big one? Did you get yours from your lfs?
Old 11/16/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

nice nem. this site about bta's is fantastic.
http://www.karensroseanemones.com/
Old 11/16/2007, 10:02 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by wicked_NaCl_h2o
ooo pretty..it looks very healthy..dang another ocellaris hosting a bta, I hope some day my ocellaris will host a bta, since I don't want to try a carpet anemone. Maybe people have a better chance getting a ocellaris to want a bta if its a really big one? Did you get yours from your lfs?
It does happen, mine went in fairly quick, now my percs are partial to the powerheads.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/16/2007, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Re: Thank you~

Quote:
Originally posted by Thai Guy
Thank you, I know it's nothing special, just feel like a big accomplishment since my first few tanks has always been reefs.
Nothing special? it is special .. they look awesome and I cant believe they host it so fast. Mine dont even look the anemone grrrrr

Congrats
Old 11/16/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

Has the bta moved around at all yet? Are the ocellaris wild caught?
Old 11/16/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

wow.

Yeah, Im actually really surprise that both of them went in really quick. I got the anemone about 7pm and by 9am the next morning, both of them are rolling around inside RBTA already.

Mksalt, the RBTA did moved. I tried to put him right at the top of the tank, around where my clowns sleep. He jump off the rocks and moved around at the bottom for a bit until he went inside a cave and stick his tentacles out. Which im glad cause I dont want him to walk around the tank.

wicked_NaCl_h2o , I did get both clowns and RBTA from LFS, Im usually a picky buyer, but sometimes I see a good deal that I just can't miss like this RBTA

Insaneclownfish, thanks for the info, my tank is bowl front with about 50cm in height. I will have my friend who works at LFS to come take a look at my tank to see what light is appropriate because it's in such an odd shape (half circle) and there isn't really any place for me to put my light. I currently run a skimmer and a filter, I want to set up sump but currently doesnt have any room maybe when I get a bigger tank, i will. My tank is also 40g.

Pasenah, Thanks for the website, I was actually looking for that website cause I lost the address long time ago.

My parameter of the tank is ok... except for Ph.. for some reason it went so low... no idea why, everything else is 0, just bought Kent buffer and try to bring it up to 8.2 or so... currently it's at 7.8.
I also bought Purple up to try out... not sure if it works but I've heard great thing about it.

Will get an underwater cam later today and try to take more pixs.
Thanks guys for the comments.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like you have a well behaved BTA so far.

Are the clowns captive bred or wild?
Old 11/16/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Looks Great, good luck with it

My clowns aren't hosting anything at the Moment, first i need to nem proof the tank then i need to get a better light fixture. then hopefully they might host a bta when i get one
Old 11/16/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Hehe

Mksalt, not sure if they're captive or wild, the LFS didn't specified whether they're captive or wild. I would assume they're captive since both of em is pretty mellow... not even sure if it has anything to do with it. hahaha

Now that I look at em again, some tentacles are deflated... was wondering if it's normal? he's eating fine though, bought him silverside from LFS , when I feed him his 2nd piece, one of the clown kept picking on the piece and pull it out.... what a mean clown..... maybe he's wild

Anywho. everything is in order, he's well behaved so far, based under the cave, while the tentacle is outside. I heard it's a normal behavior for him to hide his base/body and have tentacle poking out of cave or some sort.

so tempted to buy clam today... but not sure if my anemone will walk over him or not. thinking of getting either crocea or derasa.... anyone know a good site? or any good LFS around bayarea that have good selection? for not so expensive price? One example would be 50$ for 1" derasa... too expensive imo.

Thanks
Old 11/16/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Talking some more nice pictures . . .

Some more pictures incase anyone wanna see it.

Looking good

2 of em.

This is what im talking about, the base attach to the inside of the cave while the rest of the body is outside.

The two clowns are getting pretty territorial to the small chromies now.... but they would not dare to chase the angels off.
Old 11/17/2007, 12:52 AM
Here comes the Gators

What your RBTA is doing usually is pretty normal. However some do it when they stretch for light. Your RBTA might be stretching for light considering that its on the bottom of your tank with only PC lighting. Keep a close eye on it. If it starts to lose its dark red pigmentation then you know it has begun to bleach (loss of zooxanthellae algae).

Don't get a clam. Definately not enough light and your tank still looks fairly new.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/17/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Thats a very nice RBTA