Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2005, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

It's beautiful!!!! I would love to see more totm vids like that.
Old 11/10/2005, 09:30 AM
Dance 4 Life

That would be awesome. To have a TOTM video tour from now on.
Old 11/10/2005, 11:26 AM
Monkey

Tell you what - 5 years from now when I'm TOTM.. I'll be sure and include a video
Old 11/10/2005, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gman0526
That would be awesome. To have a TOTM video tour from now on.
Good idea.... but I still like seeing all the other vids as well....

Bob
Old 11/10/2005, 10:00 PM
1/2 century and counting

Quote:
Originally posted by fishman805
Got ya Bev.... Hey ... will the next one be "in-focus"..??
Bob,

The GBTAs are in in the tank and in focus....
(320 x 240 pixels, 14.1 MB, 2:52 minutes)

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-notenough.wmv

Did a remake of the "World Is Not Enough". The beginning is different, but it ends the same. Can't get enough of that song, and to think I had to be told is was theme music to a James Bond movie. I must live under a rock
(640 x 480 pixels, 41.6 MB, 3:53 minutes)

Quote:
Originally posted by avansickle
Peaceful, relaxing, colorful! Your corals all look so great. I'll have to tell you all what a monster crab has been doing to destroy my tank...too P.O'd to discuss it at the moment. So Beverly, the gorgeous LR colors you have, well, mine are 50% WHITE and STRIPPED by this devil in there!
Amy,

Are you sure it's a crab doing the damage? I have had all kinds of hitchhiker crabs, but none ever got at my corals. I haven't heard of crabs eating corals, but you have to remember that rock I live under I'd be looking for nudis and/or those little red bugs.

Everyone!!

Keep up the great work on the videos. Have seen so many since getting back to this thread that I can't get them all straight. Great work
Old 11/11/2005, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beverly
Bob,

The GBTAs are in in the tank and in focus....

Bev.... I think you missed something ( or maybe it's me ) but both videos are the same ... The GBTA video link is the "notenough" vid...

Bob
Old 11/11/2005, 06:31 AM
1/2 century and counting

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob Sorry about the goof up. Was a crazy day yesterday.

Our Two New GBTAs...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-24-hrs.wmv
Old 11/11/2005, 07:17 AM
Reef Addict

cool video beverly
Old 11/12/2005, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Hey Beverly, I love the way you did that!!!! What movie is the music from? Will be nice to see more of the clones as they keep settling in.

I am so utterly obsessed over catching this huge crab somehow, I have no time to put new stuff together. He is completely decimating the live rock, and the pods in it. I have been to extremes in my methods and creativity with get the little (big) s**t with no luck yet.

Anyways guys..we're slowing down.. MORE MORE MORE!!!!
Old 11/12/2005, 10:58 AM
1/2 century and counting

Amy,

Music is from, of all things, the movie Titanic

Am doing a 1 minute time lapse film of one of the clones today. Did a 2 hour time lapse movie last night, but it played in 3.5 sec, definitely too short for a real movie. Husband found some software to convert each movie frame into a .jpg file, so I can run the time lapse at any speed I want Don't know how long my battery will run or if I have enough space on the disc for a full day, but am going for it anyway. Just hope I have the focus right so I don't waste a day doing this. Ah, but there will be other days

Can you describe the crab? Does it eat mysis or food items? Is it a red eyed crab?

Here is a trap that I have used to catch red eyed crabs. Secure plastic wrap around the top of the glass with an elastic, keeping a small portion open for the crab to get into. Partially fill the glass with tankwater, add some frozen mysis (or whatever), then wait until the mysis thaw and drop to the bottom. Slowly submerge the glass in the water taking care not to let any food escape the glass, though untrap any air that gets stuck under the plastic wrap. Prop up the glass against rock where you've seen the crab. Make sure the glass does not roll around or move in any way. Otherwise the crab will probably skip trying to get the food.

The glass and plastic wrap...

Glass propped up and secured in place in the tank. Oh, yeah, if you have shrimp, they may clean out the mysis before your crab can This trap definitely works when there are no shrimp and when the crabs eat meaty foods...

If all else fails, you can also stab it with some sort of long, sharp instrument. We use the stabber shown between the syringe and the tweezers. Gotta be quick with and forceful using the stabber. Not recommended for the kind at heart

Good luck catching your little bad guy
Old 11/13/2005, 10:03 AM
Will Work for Live Rock

I'm try to upload my movie. Anyone can help me?

okay, I think I got it. Not much of a reef yet. This is my first time so be easy on me. I was acclimating a shrimp and a fish and the pump are off, that all the unusual stuff you see. I'll shot a better picture later since I know how it's done now.
http://media.putfile.com/Carls-Reef

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.

Last edited by eidillitih; 11/13/2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11/13/2005, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Cool

heres a couple minutes of my false perc. hangin in his ritteri. I had just been messing around in the sump so there is some debri flyin around.
video
Old 11/14/2005, 03:37 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, Bob Sorry about the goof up. Was a crazy day yesterday.

Our Two New GBTAs...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-24-hrs.wmv
Very nice Beverly.
Old 11/14/2005, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

We CAUGHT HIM, CAUGHT HIM, CAPTURED his little fanny. You don't know the relief, the burden lifted, the euphoria I feel that my tank can now be saved!!!! I have vido I shot of all the extremes gone to. He's in a 20gal hex tank with some LR. Am so curious how much bigger he'll get. You'll see on the video Beverly what it is, I have no clue. HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guys, don't EVER be fulled by a cute little baby hitchiker crab. They AIN'T cute as they grow and start tearing the precious LR and corraline and pods!!!

Others with new videos, can't wait to watch, will do so tonight.
Old 11/16/2005, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Here's a couple of videos of my new Moorish Idol

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0313593

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0313312
Old 11/17/2005, 09:05 AM
Premium Member

He's a beauty? Nobody is picking on the newbie in there? Aren't they also called Drum fish, or is that different, do you know?

Nice going..
Old 11/17/2005, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avansickle
He's a beauty? Nobody is picking on the newbie in there? Aren't they also called Drum fish, or is that different, do you know?

Nice going..
I put him in yesterday and the sailfin harassed him a little but all is well today.
I've never heard of it being called a drum fish so I googled it and all I found was an ugly freshwater fish.
Old 11/17/2005, 04:55 PM
1/2 century and counting

Amy,

Still looking for your bad boy crab vid

Greg,

Poor MI, looks a little thin What kind of food in the blue dish? Everybody looks very interested in what's in there. Very nice tank
Old 11/17/2005, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GregM779
Here's a couple of videos of my new Moorish Idol

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0313593

http://media.putfile.com/MOV0313312

Hey Greg.... Nice "short" video's of the MI.... When might we expect a longer video showing your whole system...??? I've been following your thread on the calcium reactor... nice setup... I'm no where near needing one of those systems yet... But I'd love to see how everything is doing after your "excitement" with the storm and all....

Bob
Old 11/17/2005, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Greg,

Poor MI, looks a little thin What kind of food in the blue dish? Everybody looks very interested in what's in there. Very nice tank
He's a little thin as I just put him in last night, he's eating well so he'll be another fat fish in the tank shortly. The ramikin in there is for the spectrum pellets that he eats, the other fish don't mind it either.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishman805
Hey Greg.... Nice "short" video's of the MI.... When might we expect a longer video showing your whole system...??? I've been following your thread on the calcium reactor... nice setup... I'm no where near needing one of those systems yet... But I'd love to see how everything is doing after your "excitement" with the storm and all....

Bob
They borrowed my camcorder again, it's hard to say no when they have a new born. I took these short videos with my digital camera but I will try and get the camcorder back soon.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

New Vid

howdy! been awhile since I posted a vid.

made this one for my custom 2.5g surge pico. Made it for a 2.5g pico contest over on nano-reef.com.

I designed the tank to handle a Carlson Surge Device and a set of T5's. Anyway, here's the vid (lots of TLC went into this one):

2.5g Mantis Pico (Right Click + Save Link As...)
Old 11/18/2005, 03:34 PM
Will Work for Live Rock

Cool Tigahboy, I'm still trying to get to that film quality.

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.
Old 11/18/2005, 03:44 PM
TRC Leader

Wow, what a video. Thanks for sharing that one. That is a nice setup for a fish-eating shrimp.
Old 11/18/2005, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys! I think I put the most forethought into that vid. yes, I'm a reef nerd. o_o
Old 11/19/2005, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigahboy
Thanks guys! I think I put the most forethought into that vid. yes, I'm a reef nerd. o_o

It shows Tiga..... Very well done...

Bob