Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

choices, choices, choices - lighting

Just as a warning, this is kind of just a random stream of thoughts coming from my brain.....(in case it makes no sense)

So here we are, trying to figure out just what we want to do for a lighting upgrade. Just when we think we've decided, we change our minds

So here's the 4-1-1. The tank is 36x18x24. Don't particularly want a huge canopy housing big hot lights. So some type of fixture or something it is.

Originally, I was thinking something like an Aqualight Pro. Unfortunately they're awfully expensive, and with only 1 MH I am afraid there would be dark edges.

Then I was thinking the Nova Extreme Pro. 6 bulbs of T5 would be pretty nice I think. And for $300-350, the price is just in my range. The only downside is I REALLY like the MH shimmer. And I just see so many tanks with MH that have just awesome colors. I've only seen 1 tank in person with all T5.

So in with the dilemma #1. Combo fixture is too expensive and limited. Don't want a canopy. So here's what I'm thinking.

2x250w MH retros. I will build a "canopy/fixture" that is approx. 36x18(maybe smaller)x4 maybe shorter/taller depending on reflector sizes. This fixture would hold the MH and maybe 2x96w PC I could steal from my Aqualight. I would hang the fixture above the tank from a shelf I will install (apartment - holes in the ceiling would be bad).

Dilemma #2. What to get? Hellolights has 250w HQI retros for $135 each, $200 with bulb. $400 isn't bad. Or, I could go with SE retros with mag. ballasts for $150 each including bulbs, so $300 total. (not including cost of building the fixture of course)

So, money aside, what would be the advantages of HQI over the cheaper stuff? If I had both to do a side-by-side test, would I look at the HQI setup and go "WOW, that's a nice difference" ??? Or would the average reefer like me really not notice much of a difference at all?

Then bring money back in. I know it's only a $100 difference, but would it be worth it to someone like me? $100 is nothing to scoff at 'round here (would basically need to buy the retros and bulbs at separate times)

If it were you, what would you do? Or would you just scrap the idea and take the easy way out and go with the Nova Extreme Pro?

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the novel
Old 01/07/2008, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 01/07/2008, 02:59 PM
My Boys

I am parical to T5's so I really couldn't help you out there. althou I think retro would be your way to go. or look for a used fixture.
It's Not The Beginning Or The End That Counts It's The Journey That Gets You There That Matters.Autism Is Just A Symptom.Over Coming It Is A Challenge.A Disability Is The Ability To Do Things Differently.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

2x250w would be my choice, if you go with the Phoenix lamps, you can eliminate the flours altogether. But...500w of MH will probably require you to use a chiller to keep it cool unless you keep your house at 70 year round. (disclaimer > IME)
Old 01/07/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

All money set aside I would hit up the Guiseman Bulbs, (SPELLING? LOL) I have seen them on a few tanks and the colors on the corals are freaking amazing. T5 is also winning me over lately, for smaller tanks tho. If you've ever seen Toejammys "frag" tank the colors are some of the best I have ever seen and all under T5. I also MUST have the shimmer. Its just something I have grown to love and I know I cant live without. I still hear so much good about Phoenix bulbs, and that swhat I am trying next lol! Im such a "Reef Tweaker", cant ever leave stuff be. Good luck!
Old 01/07/2008, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

If you go retro MH BUT you use spider reflectors you are wasting your time. Go T5 instead. Advantage of DE(sometimes mistakingly called HQI) is better reflectors over what was available for SE. Although that may not be as true now. In MH reflectors are what matters. The bulb/ballast/reflector combo matters more than DE vs. SE. If you get a true rated HQI ballast(HQI is a ballast spec) then you can really drive the DE bulbs. I don't believe as many SE bulbs are rated HQI.

Reflectors you have the Lumenarc for SE and the various pendants, Lumenbrights and I believe a DE version of the lumenarc or lumenmax's(I get them confused).

There are quite a few threads on Geiseman bulbs. Adrian loves hers. Others I guess don't like the price. Fliger liked his when he ran them. I like the Phx 14K but I move to the Iwasaki 15ks next for a change.

2X250W over an open tank may be ok without a chiller. Especially if you ran a fan over the sump on a controller to turn on when it got too hot.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Yes, an IC controlled fan would probably do the trick, but if going that route, I would recommend some sort of automated top off to keep salinity swings to a minimum. Then you could dose your alk chems and keep it steady at the same time. Isn't it funny how a light upgrade discussion can lead one down many avenues of reef equipment purchases?

I only went the chiller route because I didn't want the added humidity in the office room my tank is in. It already gets hot enough in here without evaporating another gallon of water a day. Probably wouldn't make a difference if it was in a bigger room.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

I'm sure you all saw us deciding on our lighting. We will be getting our halides off e-bay. May want to cruise there if you are watching the money. Just a thought! Good luck!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Hmm...somehow I didn't even think about the heat issue.

Unfortunately I have to keep a top on my tank (you may have seen my thread involving a cat, the tank, and my phone), and I surely can't afford a chiller at the moment. [random brain stream: hmm, if I ever move to a colder climate, there would be some natural cooling options to think about]

This is the kit I was thinking about getting 2 of: http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1325

Good tip on ebay, I'll have to check out what's on there, especially because money is going to be a bit tighter than I was expecting.

I'll definitely need to look into an auto-topoff system with the halides. Man, one thing just sparks another - now I understand why my dad had to buy a tv, entertainment center, satellite, and surround sound all at once, lol.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

hehehe
Old 01/09/2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

What about 150's? Do you think I could get away with 2x150 + 2x96w? I'm not really concerned with being able to grow SPS on the bottom of the tank honestly. Do you think 2x150 would still require a chiller?
Old 01/09/2008, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

That would probably work, a fan would definitely cool that down.
If you are going to use some flours too, you could use 10k 150s and actinic flours to increase output.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:20 PM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonh
What about 150's? Do you think I could get away with 2x150 + 2x96w? I'm not really concerned with being able to grow SPS on the bottom of the tank honestly. Do you think 2x150 would still require a chiller?
You saw my tank and I run 150 watt 10k with 96 watt blues

I am growning digi's on the bottom of my tank. Mine's a 90 gallon
if that helps ya

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 01/10/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Oh that's right. I don't recall...do you need to use a chiller on your tank, or have temp problems?