Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I am currently monitoring my system's parameters to see how far along the cycle is going. I have only had it cycling for a little over two weeks. However, my tank seems to have cycled. The tank was filled alomst instantly with diatoms and the ugly brown algae. I just let it take it's course. The algae bloom has decreased tremendously. I am still testing for ph, temp, nitrite, nitrate & ammonia. Slowly, but surely...I think I am ready.

However, like others have experienced my temperature is off the charts! I mean, the temperature is some 89.5 degrees ! So, of course I need to find a solution to this ASAP before I can even think about ading any live organsims to this system. I am looking into a series of fans or as a last result, a chiller. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10/21/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I have also noticed how quickly my sump water level decreases. So, I am also researching ways I can auto-fill or easily maintain the water levels in my sump. I have heard a little about peristalic pumps etc. Having a 7ft long stand and tank, I definetly have room to place other pieces of equipment underneath my stand. Anyone with advice, please comment. Thanks!
Old 10/21/2007, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Looks like you are making great progress.

Don't forget to edit your profile to reflect the new 265.

Hope you find an answer to the heat problem without running a chiller.

Wish I had the answer, Here's hoping someone does!
Old 10/21/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gary faulkner
Looks like you are making great progress.

Don't forget to edit your profile to reflect the new 265.

Hope you find an answer to the heat problem without running a chiller.

Wish I had the answer, Here's hoping someone does!
Thanks Gary! You're right: I really need to update my RC membership tp reflect the 265g. Thanks.
I am currently reading here on RC about the use of cooling fans instead of chiilers. RC members have had some great success with these. So, I am still researching for the best brand, amount etc. I still need to research about top-off systems to control my evaporation levels as well as kalkreactors etc. to help maintain my calcium levels.
Old 10/21/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

looking great so far nubian, i just picked up my 180 gal tank so its sitting in my storage until i can get the house built that it is going in
Old 10/21/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

tank looks great.one question though,is that play sand really safe for reef tanks.its got to be cheaper than aragonite and i like the fact that its finer.would love to put it in my new 365 when i get it
Old 10/22/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Everything is looking good! Can't wait for the cycle to be complete. Keep us posted! The achilles tang is going to love its new home. Im been looking hard to get one myself.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aceheart1976
looking great so far nubian, i just picked up my 180 gal tank so its sitting in my storage until i can get the house built that it is going in
Oh My, aceheart1976
I don't know if I can stand to wait, knowing that I have a 180g in the storage. But, in all honesty, I went through a similiar situation. After changing my flooring, I took down my thriving 175 bowfront. It took over a year for me to get back into the swing of things. I decided not to use the 175g, but instead bought this tank and sold the bowfront. Good Luck. Too bad you are not relocating to NC, I could really help you out. Maybe you should treat yourself to a 24g Aquapod like I did to get me through the wait.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgs107
tank looks great.one question though,is that play sand really safe for reef tanks.its got to be cheaper than aragonite and i like the fact that its finer.would love to put it in my new 365 when i get it
Hey, jgs107

The sand that I used is called Southdown Sand, exclusively at Home Depot. This sand has had rave reviews and it is 100% reef safe. This is my second system setup using Southdown sand. It really works!I have thought about adding a thin layer of a larger grain of aragonite sand just so it will not blow in my tankin the way of the powerheads. But, it is okay and looks great.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

i'm so jealous. looking forward to seeing it's progression!!!
Old 10/23/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

nubian, i have a 24 aquapod and a 47 gal tall setting up in part of the house im not rebuilding lol
Old 10/26/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NUBIANTANGLOVER
I am currently monitoring my system's parameters to see how far along the cycle is going. I have only had it cycling for a little over two weeks. However, my tank seems to have cycled. The tank was filled alomst instantly with diatoms and the ugly brown algae. I just let it take it's course. The algae bloom has decreased tremendously. I am still testing for ph, temp, nitrite, nitrate & ammonia. Slowly, but surely...I think I am ready.

However, like others have experienced my temperature is off the charts! I mean, the temperature is some 89.5 degrees ! So, of course I need to find a solution to this ASAP before I can even think about ading any live organsims to this system. I am looking into a series of fans or as a last result, a chiller. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Okay,

All is well. I purchased 2 Azoo (4 fan systems) from Drs. Foster & Smith this week. I got them and installed them over my tank. Belive it or not, I will not be needing a chiller. My 3x400watts XM 20K Metal Halides are no longer a problem, as the fans brought my tank's temperature down from a whopping 89 degrees to a reading as of this morning of 77 degrees! When the lights were on for the 12hour span, my temp only registered 78.9 degrees! Awesome! I only paid $29.99 a piece for each 4-fan set! That beats the price of a chiller any day!
Old 10/26/2007, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Okay,

All is well. I purchased 2 Azoo (4 fan systems) from Drs. Foster & Smith this week. I got them and installed them over my tank. Belive it or not, I will not be needing a chiller. My 3x400watts XM 20K Metal Halides are no longer a problem, as the fans brought my tank's temperature down from a whopping 89 degrees to a reading as of this morning of 77 degrees! When the lights were on for the 12hour span, my temp only registered 78.9 degrees! Awesome! I only paid $29.99 a piece for each 4-fan set! That beats the price of a chiller any day!
Great news! I was hoping that you would solve this without a chiller.

Now, one less thing I have to worry about with my 265. If I ever get it set up, that is.
Old 11/13/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Great tank! I can't wait to see more pics. I am planning to get the same tank, hopefully. I'm not ready yet but within the next couple of months or so I am hoping to find one used.
It's nice to see another gal here too. This hobby seems to be male dominated, not that that's a bad thing. I love you guys ; )

I had a question for you. You mentioned that the whole tank is tempered glass. Are you sure about that? I read somewhere on RC that the larger Perfecto tanks are not tempered glass. I'm not sure I would take a chance on drilling it anyway. I was just curious.

Please post some pics soon.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:21 PM
stop the insults, please

Quote:
Okay,

How quiet are these fans?
Old 12/23/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chihuahua6
Great tank! I can't wait to see more pics. I am planning to get the same tank, hopefully. I'm not ready yet but within the next couple of months or so I am hoping to find one used.
It's nice to see another gal here too. This hobby seems to be male dominated, not that that's a bad thing. I love you guys ; )

I had a question for you. You mentioned that the whole tank is tempered glass. Are you sure about that? I read somewhere on RC that the larger Perfecto tanks are not tempered glass. I'm not sure I would take a chance on drilling it anyway. I was just curious.

Please post some pics soon.
Hi Chihuahua6,
Nice to meet you! Yes, my tank saids "Tempered glass." Now, I did not drill it, I ordered it predrilled. You're right, this hobby is male dominated. But, I do not have any problems with it, as to be honest, men are more interesting to work with. LOL
Anyway, you should see the look on my female friends' faces when they learn of my hobby. They think I must be the biggest, confused geek they've seen: choosing this hobby over shopping for clothes.
Old 12/23/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by discocarp
How quiet are these fans?
These fans are super quiet. The loudest piece of equipment on my tank thus far is the Dart pump. It isn't really loud, ut it's noticeable. I wish I could quiet it down somehow. It is housed inside my stand.
Old 12/23/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Good evening NUBIANTANGLOVER - Sorry to sound impatient but do you have any updated pictures of your tank since you put the rock in and got the temperature down?? Any fish in there yet or what do you plan to put in there?

It looks like it'll look amazing when it's finished, it's almost the same dimensions as mine, yours is 6" taller - lil man looks mesmorized already!!
Old 12/23/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have also noticed how quickly my sump water level decreases. So, I am also researching ways I can auto-fill or easily maintain the water levels in my sump. I have heard a little about peristalic pumps etc. Having a 7ft long stand and tank, I definetly have room to place other pieces of equipment underneath my stand. Anyone with advice, please comment. Thanks!
This is how I set it up. I have a single float switch hook up to a dual float switch for safety. My resevoir of fresh water is outside and I hook up the pump to a 1/4'' hose to the kalk reactor. The float switch will activate the pump to pump the fresh water into the kalk reactor then from the kalk reactor feed it back to the sum. I use the dual switch since I crash my tank 3 years ago on a single float switch so this time I want some safety with 2 switch.

The black tube with the check valve is from the fresh water reservoir and the red tube is the out put from the Kalk reactor.

below is the picture

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Anthony for the sweeeeeeeeet picture.

Of course, I'm going to need to read your post of the setup about 10 dozen times so that it can sink in to my brain. I am new to float valves etc. It's like molecular physics to me sometimes. I just purchased a Phosphate reactor to rid my new system of my green algae growth. It just arrived today. I plan on setting it up tomorrow, hopefully. However, I did test my phosphate levels, and they are really low. Meaning less than 0.25, if that. So, of course, I am really confused as to what is contributing to my algae bloom. It was worse, but has gotten better. I will do a water change tomorrow too. I will take some pictures to post here.
Quote:
Originally posted by ycnibrc
This is how I set it up. I have a single float switch hook up to a dual float switch for safety. My resevoir of fresh water is outside and I hook up the pump to a 1/4'' hose to the kalk reactor. The float switch will activate the pump to pump the fresh water into the kalk reactor then from the kalk reactor feed it back to the sum. I use the dual switch since I crash my tank 3 years ago on a single float switch so this time I want some safety with 2 switch.

The black tube with the check valve is from the fresh water reservoir and the red tube is the out put from the Kalk reactor.

below is the picture

Last edited by NUBIANTANGLOVER; 12/28/2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Jermainek,

Thanks for reading my thread. Sorry for the delay. I think I win the award for the slowest progession of a tank in history. I have been taking it slow, but things are speeding up. I will post pics hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there!

Quote:
Originally posted by jermainek
Good evening NUBIANTANGLOVER - Sorry to sound impatient but do you have any updated pictures of your tank since you put the rock in and got the temperature down?? Any fish in there yet or what do you plan to put in there?

It looks like it'll look amazing when it's finished, it's almost the same dimensions as mine, yours is 6" taller - lil man looks mesmorized already!!
Old 12/28/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Can't wait to see the finished product. from what i can see it looks awesome.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words, SeaSerpant.

I will post later on today with more photos, as I am also in the process of defeating the green algae in my tank.
Quote:
Originally posted by SeaSerpant
Can't wait to see the finished product. from what i can see it looks awesome.
Old 12/29/2007, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Anthony for the sweeeeeeeeet picture.

Of course, I'm going to need to read your post of the setup about 10 dozen times so that it can sink in to my brain. I am new to float valves etc. It's like molecular physics to me sometimes.
That is hysterical! I too need to read over and over when it comes to setting up technical stuff on my tank. Men are just better at that stuff. Anything to do with plumbing, equipment or automated stuff is like learning a second language to me, well actually learning a second language is much easier. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Now would one of you nice guys come over here and help me set my tank up?
Old 01/04/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

never know nubian, i do travel alot with work, so i might be in nc at any time