Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/16/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Best Magnet Cleaner

Looking for a new magnet cleaner for my 90g AGA... which one is the best:
Mag-Float, Tunze, Magnavore, or Hammerhead, Piranha...
Old 12/16/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

I have a Hammerhead on my 180 which is 1/2 in glass and this baby really does a great job. I am not sure if it will too much for a 90, which I believe has thinner glass. I used a Mag Float on my 90 and it worked OK. I even use it on my 180 occasionally with the scraper blade attachment to clear some of the tougher algae and coralline.

Hope this helps.

Herb
Old 12/16/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Go with the Mag-Float! It's awesome and never fails! Also, it has several sizes and comes in 2 types: (1) for acrylic tanks & (2) for glass tanks. And best of all, they keep your hands out of your tank. If the cleaner separates when you are cleaning, it simply floats up to the top of the tank and does not sink at the bottom--causing you the need to enter the tank to retrieve it. The medium size will work fine for you!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I'm using the Mag-Float now. It works ok, but it keeps separating when I run it across the glass. I am using the one rated for a 125g, maybe I just need to upgrade to the one rated for a 350g.
Herbie... scraper blade attachment for a mag-float, whats that?
Nubian... do other magnet cleaners NOT float?
Old 12/16/2007, 12:08 PM
Moved On

My mag float works well for routine maintenance, but to get my tank really clean I use a very fine steel wool (only if your tank is galss of course!)

-SAM
Old 12/16/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

the Algae Free mag cleaners a quite a bit better then the mag floats. I own both.

http://www.algaefree.com/products.html
Old 12/16/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMan
...but to get my tank really clean I use a very fine steel wool (only if your tank is galss of course!)

-SAM
Are you serious about steelwool?
I would imagine that the particles of steel would come out into the water and rust causing unwanted high levels of metals in the tank!
There is no way i would do that in my reef.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Tunze Magnet cleaner?? I know everything else they sell is great quality.
Old 12/16/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
the Algae Free mag cleaners a quite a bit better then the mag floats. I own both.

http://www.algaefree.com/products.html
The cheapest one at that link is $50.00. That's insane for what is nothing more than a neodymium magnet and a pad. And they go up to $130.00. Yikes! Whoever makes them must be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am using the small sized magfloat on my 24 gallon and it works like a champ. A stronger magnet and more abrasive pad could do an even better job, but it works great as is. 7 bucks or so.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Mag floats are garbage IME. I also own both a magfloat came with the tank i bought. But i bought a Algae free Piranha and its a 100 times better.

You can get a Piranha for $40