Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/13/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Talking Question for dog experts

Hi all,
Well as you can see, I've been a member since '04 but I've rarely posted, so shame on me!
Now to the point, my two doggies were roughing it about two days ago, the shar-pei took a small patch of hair off of the German shorthair's leg...
The spot is not bleeding but you can see a cut and the spot feels tender....
Should I take the injured to the vet or wait a few days and see how the the whole thing goes?

TIA... I really enjoy the antics here at the Lounge
Old 03/13/2007, 11:41 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

You could try amputating at home...
Old 03/13/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hubris007
You could try amputating at home...

Theyr'e my babies... I'm just freakin' out!
Old 03/13/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

If it was two days ago I would say just keep watching for signs of infection and or swelling. I need pics of the GSP to make sure it's living in a happy home though

[ GPS owner ]
Old 03/14/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pernelf
If it was two days ago I would say just keep watching for signs of infection and or swelling. I need pics of the GSP to make sure it's living in a happy home though

[ GPS owner ]
Well, as soon as I figure the picture attachment feature I'll post a pic! The spot is a bit tender, but Penny doesn't seem to mind...!
Old 03/14/2007, 12:13 AM
clownfish fan

Try photobucket its free and simple

www.photobucket.com
Registered Member

[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]

Let's see if this works... Buster, if this is not up to UA standards, just close the thread
clownfish fan

nice looking doggy
Old 03/14/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Try photobucket its free and simple

www.photobucket.com
Well, I think I didn't do it right. I used the IMG tag and copied the URL from photobucket...
Old 03/14/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Awww, Penny is a cutie The next GSP I want to have the dark coat with liver ticking like that. My GSP, Molly is white with liver ticking.
Old 03/14/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
nice looking doggy
Did it work? I can't see my own pic...
Old 03/14/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Yup, looks like she is laying on concrete patio with round stepping stones inlaid
Old 03/14/2007, 12:22 AM
Team RC Member

I've been here too long: I read gsp and think 'green star polyps.' I had to locate the words 'german shorthair' to make it make sense.

Seriously, what you describe sounds a lot like the equivalent of pavement burn, where you lose the outer layer of skin, but it's not quite a wound: hurts, heats, but it'll heal over in about a week.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/14/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Awww, Penny is a cutie The next GSP I want to have the dark coat with liver ticking like that. My GSP, Molly is white with liver ticking.
Ok, so the link worked... Thanks Pernelf and GSMGuy!
Penny's dad is white with liver ticking and the mother looks like Penny with a completely white nose...
I'll keep an eye on the spot, and avoid the amputating at home...
Old 03/14/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Does Penny have a long tail or docked tail?
Old 03/14/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I've been here too long: I read gsp and think 'green star polyps.' I had to locate the words 'german shorthair' to make it make sense.

Seriously, what you describe sounds a lot like the equivalent of pavement burn, where you lose the outer layer of skin, but it's not quite a wound: hurts, heats, but it'll heal over in about a week.
Thanks Sk8r, That makes sense...
gsp, gps, lps... I get them mixed up all the time...!
Old 03/14/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does Penny have a long tail or docked tail?
Docked tail...
Old 03/14/2007, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

penny will lick and keep her wound clean. if she doesn't then help her. if it's not bleeding; no worries. been around hunting dogs and police dogs my whole life. i worked a gsp bomb dog in england and when i came back to the states i bought one for a pet. she's all liver w/a little speckling on the chest. love these dogs.
Old 03/14/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
penny will lick and keep her wound clean. if she doesn't then help her. if it's not bleeding; no worries. been around hunting dogs and police dogs my whole life. i worked a gsp bomb dog in england and when i came back to the states i bought one for a pet. she's all liver w/a little speckling on the chest. love these dogs.
Thanks KMP, she was doing a lot of licking yesterday, not today thou, there's a thin blood line, not bleeding really, broken skin I think... I love Penny, GSP's are wonderful dogs... She loves the outdoors, but freaks out if she thinks she's not sleeping on her favorite spot by the foot of our bed at night. Or when we come inside and she doesn't...
She did make basic training but failed at hunting training... She just couldn't bear the sound of a 12GA... No biggie since I don't do much hunting and she didn't come into our family as a hunting dog anyways... just love her!
Old 03/14/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

sounds like an abrassion - right? has it crusted over at all - even if it's a light layer? if so, then that's why she's probably not licking anymore. your home free - just keep an eye on it and be cognizant of any limping (which shouldnt' originate from what you described).
Old 03/14/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMP
sounds like an abrassion - right? has it crusted over at all - even if it's a light layer? if so, then that's why she's probably not licking anymore. your home free - just keep an eye on it and be cognizant of any limping (which shouldnt' originate from what you described).
Yes, light crust over, no limping... there she goes licking it again...
feels tender still...
Sorry if I'm making such a big fuzz over a small lesion...
For some of us, our dogs are our only kids...!
Old 03/14/2007, 01:38 AM
Premium Member

no worries. yes, dogs and kids can carry the same status depending on the family/owner - nothing wrong with that. good to see someone cares enough to ask the question. give her a little pat on the head - she's gonna be fine.
Old 03/14/2007, 01:45 AM
Hopeless addict

I have a catahoula leopard dog and a cattle dog mix mutt that like to play hard. One day I came home and the big dog had a flap of skin about the size of a quarter hanging on his back leg/haunches. it was like the skin with fur just got pulled down and it was bleeding a little although he licked it clean.

After arguing with myself for a while I took him to the vet. They closed the wound with 4 stitches and put him in an elizabethan collar. Almost $300 later we went home. In four hours the stitches were pulled out because it was on a "stretchy" part of his leg.

Long story short, it healed up amazingly well really fast. I think the trip to the vet was unecessary trauma and a waste of money. As long as it is not infected, he'll be fine. The hair grew back and you would never know it was there.

Cute dog too!
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 03/14/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aztbs
I have a catahoula leopard dog and a cattle dog mix mutt that like to play hard. One day I came home and the big dog had a flap of skin about the size of a quarter hanging on his back leg/haunches. it was like the skin with fur just got pulled down and it was bleeding a little although he licked it clean.

After arguing with myself for a while I took him to the vet. They closed the wound with 4 stitches and put him in an elizabethan collar. Almost $300 later we went home. In four hours the stitches were pulled out because it was on a "stretchy" part of his leg.

Long story short, it healed up amazingly well really fast. I think the trip to the vet was unecessary trauma and a waste of money. As long as it is not infected, he'll be fine. The hair grew back and you would never know it was there.

Cute dog too!
Thanks! that reminds me of a cat my wife used to have before we got married. She left him at my apartment one day while we went "shopping" came back an hour or so later and my tiny tabby cat had pulled my wife's cat's lower lip all the way down to the chin...! It was just flapping there... Ugh! Amazingly there was barely any bleeding... The vet visit cost me $700.00 -10 years ago...
Googling catahoula leopard now... WOW!!!

KMP, yep,we love our kids... er... doggies Penny's giving me the look for not going upstairs yet... Still dealing with the DST problem at my company... Yes, IT here....!