Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 06:00 PM
Did I do that?

Angry Windows wont install updates!!!!

My Dell 600m recently had the blue screen of death and I used a reinstall cd and did the recovery thingy. All was great, my computer was back up and running and I was sure that I was now a computer genius. Then, when I tried to install the 86 critical updates things went haywire on me. It will not install the updates and for some reason I cannot use IE. What gives here? I googled the issue and got some limited info in geek speak that I can't understand. Help me, please!

Beerguy, I don't need you telling me to buy a Mac either.

Btw, I got a new laptop just a couple of days ago, but I want the 600m for the kids.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

what error are you getting exactly? in your case odds are you need a service pack, when was the computer purchased? if you need SP2 not other updates will install. Also, if you do not have the correct .net framework version, a lot of the "critical" updates won't take. MS is up to 3.0 Beta right now, but if you put 2.0 first, and run the updates again you should be good. But if you need SP2 put that on first and foremost.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:09 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Buy a Mac.

Did you "activate" Windows after reinstalling?

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

sometimes you have to install the updates in the order they were released, by tring to install all 39 at the same time you may be trying to update an update that hasn't been updated enough for the update to work

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/20/2007, 06:26 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Buy a Mac.
Here ya go!

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/20/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

thats a Big Mac

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/20/2007, 06:50 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
update an update that hasn't been updated enough for the update to work

That really sounds like an update problem!!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/20/2007, 06:51 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by jhunko
what error are you getting exactly? in your case odds are you need a service pack, when was the computer purchased? if you need SP2 not other updates will install. Also, if you do not have the correct .net framework version, a lot of the "critical" updates won't take. MS is up to 3.0 Beta right now, but if you put 2.0 first, and run the updates again you should be good. But if you need SP2 put that on first and foremost.
I have service pack 2 installed now and I'm not sure about the netframe work. I will have to look at that later tonite. I really think I'm going to pull my hair out.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:52 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Buy a Mac.

Did you "activate" Windows after reinstalling?
Yes, I activated Windows. I thought I told you not to tell me to buy a Mac!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 06:53 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Misled
That really sounds like an update problem!!!!
I think I'm going to have to kill you!
Old 12/20/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

reformat, reinstall fresh, im sure the recovery didnt get to the root of the problem
Old 12/20/2007, 07:11 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by jennibee13
reformat, reinstall fresh, im sure the recovery didnt get to the root of the problem
I'm guessing I will have to burn all of my pics and music to cd's before I do that then. Is this really the only way to fix my computer? What if I don't have the drivers cd?
Old 12/20/2007, 07:26 PM
Team RC Member

Dell will send necessary disks to you. 1-800-757-8434...this is their general number, but explain your problem and they will get you what you need. You may, if the thing is under warranty [your service number is on the bottom of a laptop] get them to walk you through a fix. If you get the online help service [about 250.00 a subscription] they will definitely walk you through a fix.

If you can get online with this computer, they may be able to take remote control of your computer and attempt a fix.

You can use a multigig flash drive to take data across, btw, which is much faster than burning and can be taken to another computer easily. It's called a jump drive, key drive or flash drive. The computer treats it as a newly recognized disk drive.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9iron
I'm guessing I will have to burn all of my pics and music to cd's before I do that then. Is this really the only way to fix my computer? What if I don't have the drivers cd?

i just had to reinstall xp yest, fooling with a program i shouldnt have been,i didnt reformat, so you could try just a fresh complete install, typically it will only overwrite the windows files , your data should stay intact, some programs may have to be reinstalled, some worked for me other didnt, but i got all new updated programs now,hehehe.................shouldnt lose pics and such.............i assume youve run the proper programs to check for spyware, viruses?

if not you should do that first................i use

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware

http://www.avast.com/

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti.../lng/us/tpl/v5

http://www.ccleaner.com/

id clean it up, try again, if still no go, reinstall, see what happens b4 you chose to reformat, cuz then its a clean slate..................i build and overclock my own ..............

Last edited by jennibee13; 12/20/2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

i still say you need to update the updates.

Old 12/20/2007, 11:06 PM
Movin On Up

Turn on automatic updates, turn off firewall and anti-virus, leave the pc connected to the internet and let it update itself!!!!

Old 12/20/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

all you need is the windows cd, all drivers can be dl off net, and theyll be up to date.............after i reinstalled xp i had to load drivers for mb , most things didnt work right away, sound , video, etc
Old 12/20/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Turn on automatic updates, turn off firewall and anti-virus, leave the pc connected to the internet and let it update itself!!!!

if he cant load them manually , by what miracle do you think the net will do it?
Old 12/20/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

i hear Al Gore turned off the net tonight

Old 12/20/2007, 11:12 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by jennibee13
by what miracle do you think the net will do it?

The miracle of windows update knowing which order the updates need to be installed in more than he does.

Old 12/20/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The miracle of windows update knowing which order the updates need to be installed in more than he does.

they cant be selected in a particular order, you select which ones you want, windows does the rest ................there is obviously a corruption, which your suggestion will not repair nor address...............
Old 12/20/2007, 11:21 PM
Movin On Up

When automatic updates are turned on and your pc is connected to the internet, windows will check for and download updates in the backround. Updates decides which to send. There are 3 net frameworks even if sp2 is installed. They must be downloaded by themselves and installed prior to the next being downloaded. Since they are most likely already in a temp file a cleanup may be required first.

Old 12/20/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

ok affter all this i change my suggestion -

shoot the darn thing...it works for horses

Old 12/21/2007, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

heres how i fixed it!

Most likely its one of these three things
1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.
2. The Windows Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.
3. The Windows Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

We can perform the following steps to get the issue resolved. After trying each suggestion, please go to the Windows Update site to check the issue. Thanks for your cooperation.
NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
===========================================
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If the issue still persists, please move on to suggestion 2.
Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
======================================
1. Please download the file from the following link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
2. Save the file to C: drive.
3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.
There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce"
Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.
If it still does not work, please proceed to suggestion 3 to reinstall Windows Installer 3.1.
Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
==================================
1. Press Start and choose Run.
2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.
3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
MSIexec /regserver

After finishing the above steps, please check the result again. If the issue persists, please click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old 12/21/2007, 08:26 AM
On "The List"

ouch, I think drakua is right, shoot the darned thing, that looks too much like work

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy