Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/13/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic Tank Owners - Happy or dissatisfied?

Just curious - as to you folks out there with acrylic tanks, have you been generally happy with such a tank, or unhappy? Any thoughts on whether you'd go acrylic again if you did it over? Lastly, any thoughts on top notch acrylic tank builders? Anyone heard of, or done business with, Midwest Custom Aquariums http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/ ?
Old 07/13/2007, 04:13 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i have a 300.. love it..

i have heard of them... they do good work...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/13/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

I like my acrylic tank. I think the best part for me was being able to drill the holes where I wanted them to be for the overflow and closed loop.

I do like the glass because it is harder to scratch.

If I had the money I'd go starphire glass and have the drilling done custom, but the cost difference for me was huge and I'm not so rich.

JMO
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 07/13/2007, 04:25 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by pledosophy
I like my acrylic tank. I think the best part for me was being able to drill the holes where I wanted them to be for the overflow and closed loop.
You can do that with glass.

I have a small acrylic. I hate the thing. Scratches too easy.
Old 07/13/2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
You can do that with glass.

not if its tempered.. and alot of places charge some $20+ per hole..

Old 07/13/2007, 04:29 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
not if its tempered.. and alot of places charge some $20+ per hole..
They charge that to drill acrylic too. Drilling glass is EASY.
Old 07/13/2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
They charge that to drill acrylic too. Drilling glass is EASY.
i was never charged a "drill fee" and i have ordered from 4 different mfgs... envision, socalcreations, aquaticsystemsdesign, precision clarity.

but if you look at most/ all glass mfg... they charge...

Old 07/13/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Keep the comments coming. All you acrylic lovers and haters, defend your turf. hehehe
Old 07/13/2007, 05:41 PM
Ugly Equipment Keeper

I like the look of glass (especially low iron) more than acrylic. Not having a scratchy tank after about 5 minutes of use is also great.

Drilling non-tempered glass really is easy, just needs a small investment in the right tool (diamond hole saw).
Old 07/13/2007, 05:45 PM
Team RC Member

Just be very, very careful to put eggcrate down before rock [sand 3rd] to prevent any rock shift crashing into your sides: acrylic scars even if you accidentally pick up sand in a mag float, and a rock can make a major mark. If not properly braced, too, it bows a bit.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 07/13/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

We're happy with ours.. the bigger beauty of acrylic (our opinion)is that landslides won't break it. Scratch the heck out of it but at least that can be fixed with the right tools.

Have had both, like the acrylic better. Just have to be aware when cleaning it and try to be careful but scratches can come out of it if necessary, big or small.
Old 07/13/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Dont have one now...but .... I did have one....the last one I will EVER have. I am very careful with my stuff, but I dont think you can keep from scratching it. Then it looks just awful.

Acrylic tanks are for folks that dont care if their tanks look like crap. Other than that I really dont have an opinion
Old 07/13/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

It's the quintessential reef keeping quandary -- to get a glass or acrylic tank. I've been mulling the idea of a new tank in the 100G-150G range, and was leaning toward acrylic. If made well using the right width acrylic, etc., I kind-a like the idea of not having to worry about a silicone seam rupturing in the middle of the night. As for glass, I've only been around oceanics and all-glass - from what I can tell, virually all of them, even when filled, exhibit gaps between the tank and stand. Almost seems like a flaw, but I guess they hold together long-term well-enough or people would be raising hell and voicing it. Not exactly 'planar.' It's a tough call for me. What's unacceptable is a tank that spills out on the floor (e.g., like 100+ gallons). Maybe that pushes me toward acrylic....
Old 07/13/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark426
Dont have one now...but .... I did have one....the last one I will EVER have. I am very careful with my stuff, but I dont think you can keep from scratching it. Then it looks just awful.

Acrylic tanks are for folks that dont care if their tanks look like crap. Other than that I really dont have an opinion
Not true - we are very fussy about it being clean - it's being cleaned everyday. :0
Old 07/13/2007, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

I am undecided...Glass is so much easier to clean but acrylic sucks because of the scratching. Glass can scratch too and for some reason I noticed the one scratch in my glass tank more than my many scratches in my acrylic tank.
Old 07/13/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I've gotten scratches on both glass and acrylic, my acrylic can be fixed. I always wondered how large aquariums keep from scratching there acrylic or are they glass? Or do hobby aquarium makers just use cheap acrylic.
Old 07/13/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

all the benefits of acrylic involve benefits of setup. light weight, easy to drill...

the benefit of glass lasts its whole life. it will not scratch easily. and its surface will never swirl or yellow.

IMO glass is the way to go unless you have something more important than just weight and drilling... neither of those are insurmountable. inconvenience at best. but that first scratch for a 1 time accident that will never ever be fixed...

glass all the way... starphire for the viewing sides of course, and no tempered.
Old 07/13/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Whoops....double post...sorry
Old 07/13/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mwwhite
Not true - we are very fussy about it being clean - it's being cleaned everyday. :0
I didnt mean the tank not being clean...I mean being scratched up.

How many old old glass tanks have you seen? Now how many old acrylic tanks do you see?
Old 07/13/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

another benefit to glass, you can replace a panel.

no such luck with acrylic.

counter arguement is obviously that hopefully you wouldnt need to. but with scratches, not nescessarily true.
Old 07/13/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by areze
all the benefits of acrylic involve benefits of setup. light weight, easy to drill...

the benefit of glass lasts its whole life. it will not scratch easily. and its surface will never swirl or yellow.
I disagree acrylic has only one shortcoming and it’s how easy it is to scratch. Acrylic is a far better material than glass but I agree the scratching sucks.
Old 07/13/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

wish i went with glass, acrylic is just too soft. scratches are inevitable.
Old 07/13/2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silverwolf72
I've gotten scratches on both glass and acrylic, my acrylic can be fixed. I always wondered how large aquariums keep from scratching there acrylic or are they glass? Or do hobby aquarium makers just use cheap acrylic.

another fact.. all the large aquariums use acrylic....

Old 07/13/2007, 07:21 PM

for small to medium sized tanks 10-75G, I'm cool with glass, but once it gets to the 100G ++ range, I'd go for acrylic. Durability and weight is a huge concern for me.. scratches can be buffed.
Old 07/13/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic does scratch but can be buffed and look brand new without being drained. Low iron is softer than standard glass and scratches fairly easy. From tanks I have seen acrylic is the way to go, the clarity is much better. Just my opinion though. Dont forget you can get acrylic with rounded corners and thats pretty slick.