Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 12:11 AM
Moved On

Reefkeeper vs aquacontroller

wanted to know if anyone is using a reefkeeper? It seems much cheaper and as good as an aquacontroller. wanted to know opinions?
Old 12/11/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

I have a reefkeeper 2 and absolutely love it. I've never used an aquacontroller before, but based on comparing the rk2 and the ac jr (which are both roughly in the same price range), it seemed like the rk2 had better features. Just my opinion.

The only thing I wish I could do is control my koralias with it, but that's an issue with my koralias, and not the rk itself.

To be honest, either one would meet your basic needs in my opinion.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:55 AM
Moved On

thanks! you can do much more on the rk2 though vs the aquacontroller jr. to be able to have all those features with the aquacontroller you seem to have to go up a notch. which is much more expensive
Old 12/11/2007, 02:42 AM
T5 Reefer

Looks like there is nothing you can do with an RK2 that an ACjr won't do and there are several items that the ACjr will do but the RK2 can't.
They also show the equally equipped units at about $50 more for the RK2 than the ACjr.

The things I saw that aren't available on the RK2 off hand are:
*Programmable through a PC instead of using the up down buttons on the display.
*Using float switches for controlling levels.
*Audible and Visual alarms.
*12 outlets possible vs. 8 max on the RK2.
*Possible to set random timers.
***IMPORTANT to anyone with kids ... Password protect the unit so no changes can be made to setup.
*Seasonal temperature programing to allow for winter and summer stimulation.
*Moonlight phases can be simulated (some believe it helps induce spawning)
*Tidal simulation settings.

Then they list the price $266 for ACjr and $317 for RK2 (with equal probes/powerstrips)
Although Digital Aquatics gives a 2 yr warranty and Neptune only gives 1 yr.

The AC3 is more money but has MANY more features like 2 PH monitors and a built in webserver so you can access or monitor your reef from anywhere you can get internet access. I know it sounds like I am getting a cut from Neptune but I hate to see someone getting misinformation. I am not associated with them in any way but do think it is a good product at a fair price. If I had a choice I would go with Profilux but I am not made of money

This is your best friend when looking for a controller >>> CLICK ME <<<

Hope that helps
Old 12/11/2007, 09:23 AM
Moved On

oh wow im glad you found that for me!!! this is why i was asking. i need to know these things before i decide which one
Old 12/11/2007, 09:26 AM
Moved On

see now that im reading that i feel like on the site for reefkeeer it says that it does some thing they are saying it does not.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:35 AM
Moved On

like that site says it does not do moon lights. which it does its just called night mode.

i do like that the aquacontroller has the alarms, seasons, passwords and you can control it on the computer. however i like that the rk2 has a sure on metal halide. meaning if power goes out it lets the halides cool before trying to turn them on. does the aquacontroller do that? also as for the tidal control the rk2 seems to have a programable pumps so that two alternate and one is always on. is that the same as a tidal?

they both seem to have pros/cons. if you can tell me that the aquacontroller somehow does these things to im sold. =)
Old 12/11/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Talking about controllers have you checked out this thread?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=997688

Personally I'm using a Biotope from RonC and really like it, there's a few things I would like different, but overall VERY happy with the unit.
I would look hard into a controller as they ALL have pro's and cons.
The choice is overwhelming but that thread has a lot of good info

Good Luck in your quest
Old 12/11/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

*12 outlets possible vs. 8 max on the RK2.

Thats not true, you can add expansions to the rk2.
I have the rk2 and Im not happy with it. I made the wrong choice IMO.
Mine doesn't keep correct time, and the customer services guys or guy is rude to say the least.
Erik
Old 12/11/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

I'm not trying to get into some kind of pi$$ing contest on which one is better, but I really hate being told that "I'm spreading misinformation". I'm just a happy user of the RK2 device.

Some things that I especially like about it:
- much nice visual interface than acjr. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the backlight, and the way the info is presented on the device itself.
- upgradable. With the acjr, I believe you have to buy an extra cable to do this.
- free myreef component that allows you to capture info off the rk2 and store it on your PC (temp ranges over the last few days, etc.)
- go into standby mode with a push of 1 button (makes feeding time a lot easier when I just push 1 button to turn off my skimmer and pump)

I didn't need PC programming or moon cycle or some of the other features that the rk2 didn't have.

The acjr. looks like a great device too. I just personally liked the rk2 better. And at the time I bought mine, it was the same price as the acjr.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:39 AM
Moved On

i appreciate everyones help. At this point in time im still undecided i am going to check out that bio tope. hopefully kreegers is just a bad unit incident i however do not like his experiences with customer service!
Old 12/11/2007, 11:56 AM
GO BUCKS

anyone know where more imfo on the biotype can be found?
Old 12/11/2007, 12:41 PM

Ive got a rk2 also, and it seems to work fine for me. I do agree with Erik after dealing with customer support at dig aquatics I wish I would have bought something else.

Only thing that has scared me away from selling it off and going to acjr is there were a lot of reports of issues with temp probes on the acjr's. That maybe something they have fixed by now.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

I love my ACjr.
I do not use the DC8, but use the X-10's. I have been using it for about 10 months and have not had any problems what so ever.
I control all of my lights, heat, cooling, powerheads that are randomly timed, and my ATO is controlled by the Ph. The only device in my tank that is not on the controller is the skimmer. But I could add it if I wanted.

My tank is very stable and has never done better.
I would not ever consider having another tank with out one.

If I want to see how my tank is doing when I am away from home I use the free program 'Log Me On' and I can do anything that I would as if I was sitting at my home PC.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

http://www.rc-squared.com/

Ron is excellent to deal with and customer service is top notch (oh wait a minute, I've never needed a service, it just works )
Old 12/11/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

The deciding factor for me was the RK2 does not support X10.
I have a number of items in the basement as well as upstairs by the tank itself I want to control.

I use an X10 control interface and I can control modules anywhere in the house from my ACjr.

I picked up my ACjr from D&Ts Aquarium for $90 with back light, serial port, and temp probe. I already had a PH probe and didn't need the DC8.

The benefit to the DC8 is it is solid state, so it does not click like the X10 modules.
If I was using it for a wave machine this would be a big deal, but two of my 4 power heads are propeller type and would not work.
It has 0ne button feeding mode too, I use this to turn off 2 of my 4 power heads.

If you decide to go X10, PM me. I know where you can get modules for cheap (less than $10 each).

HTH,
Ken
PS I read about a bug in the RK2, where at least one outlet must always be powered on or none of them will turn on and off as expected. AFAIK this has not been fixed yet.
The recommended fix was to plug in in something like your skimmer that would stay on 100% of the time.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

less than 10$ a piece? where!?
Old 12/11/2007, 03:52 PM
GO BUCKS

what are the dc8 and x10
Old 12/11/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Links to auction sites are not allowed so I will just say search Ebay for AM466 (3 prong appliance module). I buy mine in 3 packs to save on shipping.

X10 is a means of controlling the modules using Radio Frequency signals sent over your houses electrical wires.
There can be issues,
Mainly If you have old or incorrect wiring sometimes you can have interference. I solved this in my apartment by putting in a dedicated circuit for my tank.

Basically you set a Code on the Module. The Code consists of a letter and a number. There are 16 positions on each dial so you could in theory control 256 devices.
You then configure the ACjr (or software on your PC, etc) with the code for each device and assign it a name.
When you program the ACjr you specify the conditions, the device name, and the desired action.
The controller (ACjr) then sends a signal to the Control Interface module (plugs into an outlet) that travels along the electrical wires all throughout your house. When it finds the module with the matching code it triggers the action (On/Off).

If you want to learn more about X10 and it's use in Home Automation, check out x10.com

The cool thing is the ACjr has conditional programming so you can do things like,
If the Temp > 80 turn off the heater
If the Temp > 85 turn off the lights
If the temp > 88 turn on a fan (or chiller if you have one)

These statements will then override the normal time scheduled events and turn off the items until the tank temp falls below the specified threshold.

I have a Kalk reactor so I also do this
Stir the reactor water for 2 minutes every 2 hours
If Ph > 8.4 don't stir the reactor

The language is very flexible and allows for a lot of custom scenarios. It is important to put the commands in a certain order though.

The DC8 is Neptune's custom Power control.
It is essentially a 15amp 8 port Power Strip.
The main difference is it has a phone port that allows the ACjr to connect to it and turn individual outlets on and off.
You can daisy chain multiple units together and also DC8/DC4 and an X10 control interface.
The ACjr can control 12 modules/outlets.
The ACIII can control 24 and the Pro can do 40.
HTH,
Ken
Old 12/11/2007, 05:20 PM
GO BUCKS

thanks ken
Old 12/11/2007, 06:24 PM
Moved On

yes thank you. you really clarified everything
Old 12/11/2007, 07:33 PM
GO BUCKS

are the x10 and dc 8 interchangable with both units? or do they only support a specific unit
Old 12/11/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

The X10 and DC8/DC4 are interchangeable with all Aquacontroller models.
you can also Mix them on the same controller.
So for example if you start off with the ACjr and DC8, you could upgrade to the AC III or Pro just by changing the Head Unit.

You could also use the DC8 for outlets near the aquarium and add a X10 Control Interface (after the last DC outlet strip) to control modules in another room (basement in my case) or the same room.

So if you start out and find that 12 control modules is not enough (I only use 6 right now) you can upgrade easily to the ACIII and double your controllable modules.

For the Reefkeeper, you have to purchase their proprietary power interface expansion module and the max number is less than an AC Pro.

I was also just reading that the AC III Pro can be coupled to up to 7 Probe modules so you can control all your tanks from a single control interface. Currently I only have one tank, but I can dream can't I

Don't get me wrong, the RK2 is a good unit for the money, it offers a lot, but expansion is not one of them and X10 is the other.
For me these were deal breakers.

I spent a lot of time researching the options and I chose the AC jr for these reasons:
1. Cost (I already had 3 X10 modules and only had to spend $50 to get 3 more and the control interface)
2. Easy to upgrade to a more feature rich unit. (although not cheap)
3. X10 support
4. Conditional programming language, including seasonal variations.
5. Market leader, they have a larger customer base which means more feedback and better support, if not directly than from other users.
6. Owner reviews and opinions found on internet forums.

HTH,
Ken
Old 12/11/2007, 08:10 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by mjlewis
I'm not trying to get into some kind of pi$$ing contest on which one is better, but I really hate being told that "I'm spreading misinformation".
I am glad we won't be in any contest because I don't want to get wet

Just to be clear, I never said you were "spreading misinformation" ... It was not a personal attack on you or even directed toward you. Crystal said "It seems much cheaper and as good as an aquacontroller." and "thanks! you can do much more on the rk2 though vs the aquacontroller jr. to be able to have all those features with the aquacontroller you seem to have to go up a notch. which is much more expensive"
Those are misinformation that seemed to be confirmed in her opinion when you responded with "based on comparing the rk2 and the ac jr (which are both roughly in the same price range), it seemed like the rk2 had better features." It does seem, by that statement, that you are in agreement that the RK2 has more options than the ACjr. I just wanted to let the OP know that the opposite is true.
I didn't mean to drop in and call anyone a liar or anything of the sort.

Quote:

Some things that I especially like about it:
- much nice visual interface than acjr. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the backlight, and the way the info is presented on the device itself.

Since the ACjr went to a black case with blue backlight they are very similar. I do like the way the RK2 has a mounting flange so you can just screw it to something since everyone knows that eventually the Velcro strips that Neptune includes will slowly slide off. I have seen many AquaControllers being held by zip ties.

Quote:

- upgradable. With the acjr, I believe you have to buy an extra cable to do this.
You do need the serial cable AND you need to purchase the unit that has the serial port built in ($15 option and $15 cable)

Quote:

- free myreef component that allows you to capture info off the rk2 and store it on your PC (temp ranges over the last few days, etc.)
The Aquanotes Light is free and does the monitoring and graphing thing on the computer.

Quote:
- go into standby mode with a push of 1 button (makes feeding time a lot easier when I just push 1 button to turn off my skimmer and pump)
As mentioned already there is a feed mode programmable in the ACjr for a one button feed mode. Also, there is an input that you can assign to any function so you could even have your controller in the basement fishroom and have a single pushbutton installed somewhere in your upstairs stand that activates feed mode with a single push. That's pretty cool IMO.

Quote:

The acjr. looks like a great device too. I just personally liked the rk2 better. And at the time I bought mine, it was the same price as the acjr.
I agree, I feel that either one would get the job done for the OP and most people wouldn't notice the differences.

@Crystal The moon phase thing is dimmable moonlights that actually change with the phases of the moon like BRIGHT for the FULL moon, dimmer for a crescent moon and off for a new moon. I think the function of moonlights on the RK2 is to turn them on and off not actually control the intensity.

-- Kevin
Old 12/11/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I just checked D&T site, it is no longer $89, it is the same as everyone else now $169.
I had thought it a typo when I got mine, but I had checked the site a month after I bought it and the price was still that low.
That makes the cost a lot closer to the RK2.