Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Killer shrimp?

So, I had some aiptasia, and got a couple peppermint shrimp to take care of them. My kids really wanted some shrimp, so I didn't think it would be a bad addition to my tank.

However, I seem to have purchased the killer peppermint shrimp from Mars. They are killing snails left and right. I found my fighting conch on its side tonight and no longer in its shell, and I caught one of them red-handed digging at some zoos I have on some live rock sitting on the sand.

So, it's time for the shrimp to go. They have killed almost 50% of the snails in my tank, the conch, and cleaned out some of the zoos.

Any ideas on getting rid of them? I thought about a hawkfish, since I was considering getting one anyway, but I'm not sure if my clownfish are large enough to avoid becoming dinner themselves.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Thats a new one I have 25 peppermints and there all model citizens they are with crabs and zoanthids and everything else I have bunches of snails. But I have a pudding wife wrasse that eats them if you put them in his tank.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I had 1 for a long time, it got really big same size as a cleaner

It was a model citizen for over a yr then it started attacking my anems violently and digging until it got they're already swallowed silverslides.

He no longer resides in my tank. But boy did he like aptasia!!

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 10/02/2007, 10:00 PM
T5 Reefer

FYI, I have had a flame hawk and falco hawk in my tanks with peppermint shrimp as tiny as 1/2" and cleaner shrimp and they have never attacked them so don't bet on the hawkfish taking care of your problem shrimp.

Maybe a small trap could be made out of something like cross-stitch plastic canvas

HTH
-- Kevin
Old 10/02/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I have a bird wrasse that would love a tasty snack ;-)
Old 10/03/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

After seeing the comments around traps, I found the following info on a DIY trap:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/fis...uariumtrap.htm

The shrimp have gotten pretty brave over time - the largest one just sat on the piece of live rock spearing a zoo last night with me standing right beside the tank. So, maybe the trap as described above will work.

If I do end up getting them out, I'll see who's wrasse is the hungriest and let you have them. :^)
Old 10/03/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

why not give it to the hungry mantis shrimp, i can even send vids of it to you lol