Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2005, 11:27 AM
Zoanthid collector

Anyone use Randy's 2 part calcium additive?

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with Randy's 2 part calcium/alkalinity additive, and what results have you seen?
Old 11/23/2005, 12:43 PM
Gold Digger

have used it and it is very easy and inexpensive. Though my calc/alk consumption is fairly low (slowly growing as i add more and more sps frags ) it has lasted me about 2 months for one batch. I give it
Old 11/23/2005, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a link for this product? My 2-part is running out and I need some more... hopefully cheaper stuff.
Old 11/23/2005, 01:54 PM
Gold Digger

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...l2004/chem.htm
Old 11/23/2005, 01:55 PM
Gold Digger

oh and this calculator helps to know how much to use:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 11/23/2005, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!
Old 11/25/2005, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

I use it for when I haven't been able to drip the limewater at night and for the fish sitter to use as I don't want to have limewater accidents while I'm away.
I had to make it a full 3 part formula so that I dose equal amounts of the calcium, the alk, and the epsom salts.
The original formual says to dose a given quantity of epsom salts after going through a given amount of the 2 part formula, but with multiple systems on the go, (7) I have no way to reasonably keep track of how much of the 2 part goes into each individual tank as they are differing in volume as well as needs for the additive.
Worked out easier to just use 3 parts every time I dose.