Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2007, 07:16 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and thanks for the comments. You are quite correct that I have sometimes ignored advice and taken a "find out for myself" approach. But often I do follow advice.

The return plumbing I'm sure needs to be redone. I just suck at plumbing and the thought depresses me, heh.

As for the chiller, it's another piece of equipment to maintain, more plumbing and more electricity bill. I don't think my heat problems have been that bad and they are now under control at least.

As for the Calcium Reactor, you make a good point and what follows are my excuses.

Firstly, I only just realised (or was only informed a few days ago via another thread on RC) that a Calcium Reactor helps maintain alkalinity. I've never had problems maintaining Calcium so thought I could do without the Calcium Reactor until I had lots of corals.

Also, I'm cringing at the prospect of acquiring a CO2 can/tank in my little town in rural Japan. First having to explain what it is and then finding a place where I can get one with my limited Japanese is going to quite a task. But I now realise that I need one.

I'm in this for the long haul and it's going to be loooong. I also feel extremely limited to what I can do because I have no space. Get a Calcium Reactor sounds great but I'm dreading placing it. Where there's a will there's a way I'm sure.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 08/16/2007, 08:19 AM

There are other ways too, like dosing pumps etc. Ask in the water chemistry forum to get a synopsis of the various ways to maintain alk and Ca.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

You don't need a Ca reactor--especially now when you have no corals. I'd resolve the more pressing issues first. The Randy's homemade is a cheap alternative if you can find the ingredients--I've been using it and kalkwasser exclusively for the last 2 yrs in my SPS tank and it works great and is super cheap.
As far as a CO2 tank goes, don't Japanese people drink carbonated beverages too?
Old 08/16/2007, 08:34 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Jonathan, maintaining Ca was always easy with Kalk and the Osmolator's Kalk Dispenser.

grallster - I remember that from a while ago but thought it would be too difficult to get the ingredients here in Japan. I could go the dosing pump route I guess but I think it would need to be a huge pump. And using the B-Ionic 2-part isn't exactly economical when you need 1 gall Alk per month at least. But before I add more coral I need to get PO4 under control and find a way to maintain Alk whether it be homemade, reactor or dosing pump.

Old 08/16/2007, 08:35 AM

epsom salts for mg, Driveway Heat for Ca, and Baking soda for alk...
Old 08/17/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

CO2 availability

Hi Nexdog,

You should be able to get CO2 from a local shop that re-fills fire extinguishers. They can also probably supply you a tank but it might not be as nice looking as the aluminum tanks sold by the aquarium shops. However, the regulator is probably better purchased from an aquarium shop; they will be cheaper.

The first time I filled my CO2 tank, I went to a specialty gas supplier and it cost me ... the next time, I found a local shop that fills fire extinguishers and it only cost about $12 CDN for a 10 pound tank refill. The shop I found also refills tanks, including O2, for the local firestations so I knew they would be quality.

Regards,

Hesham
Old 08/17/2007, 06:59 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks Hesham. Does the regulator not normally come with the Calcium Reactor? If I get one it will probably be a Deltec but I'm not certain of that yet.

Old 08/17/2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Hey Nexdog
Check out this thread on 2-part vs Ca reactor. Useful stuff if your planning a homemade 2-part.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Also if you go the Ca route ask a restaurant that has carbonated beverages where they get their tanks filled.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 08/17/2007, 11:02 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks for the link, interesting read. Judging by that it does seem that with my size system I need a Calcium Reactor so it's on my "to do" list.

Old 08/17/2007, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

super sweet setup!
Old 08/17/2007, 11:30 AM

I would use a reactor on your system as well as it will be much cheaper in the long run, but in the meantime, you can keep your tank parameters good using easy to find household items. Also, test your water-change water and adjust it before you do the water change. This will help a lot to keeping the tank stable.
Old 08/17/2007, 12:00 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Going to hook up the new RODI tomorrow and then I'm going to be doing weekly water changes. I'll dose each 50g water change to 450 Ca and 10dKH and monitor mg too.

I have both TLF phosban reactors bubbling away now and will change the media weekly.

I have a patch of cyano in the sand in the valley between the two rock structures. I siphoned it out but it reappeared. Is this indicative of a flow problem in that area? I have a bottle of chemi-clean which is supposed to treat 300g. Should i use it?

Old 08/17/2007, 12:19 PM

Could be flow in that it's not getting it up to be skimmed out, but the reality is, you have higher than ideal nutrient levels that are causing the cyano to grow.

I have never used chemi-clean, but I believe Marc (melev) has so you could ask him about it.
Old 08/17/2007, 03:15 PM
TRC Leader

If you choose to use Chemi-Clean, you'd need enough to treat the entire system volume of water. Putting in a weaker dose won't accomplish much.

I've used it many times. You have to leave your skimmer off for at least 48 hours, you might need to pump air into the tank via airstones during treatment, and they recommend a big (20%) water change at the end. The reason for the water change is to dilute the situation and help ease how your skimmer reacts to the meds in the water. Otherwise, you'll be emptying the collection cup repeatedly for about 14 hours straight, even with the skimmer set to its lowest level.

Don't run Phosban or Carbon while you use it.
Old 08/17/2007, 08:01 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Cheers Marc. I'll get some more and wait for a while. I'll need to get another 50g tank to hold extra water too.

Old 08/18/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Hi NexDog,

Unfortunately the regulator doesn't normally come with the reactor but sometimes a store will sell a kit with the regulator plus empty cylinder or a complete set including reactor. It gets pricey.

The regulator can include a solenoid for electronic on/off control of regulator output. A controller can be used to monitor pH and turn on and off the regulator. If too much CO2 enters the reactor, the calcium media will turn to mush. You don't need to use electronic control but I would still by a regulator with the solenoid in case you decide to get automated later.

I also like and use Deltec and have their reactor - Deltec gives instructions on using their reactor without electronic control. The instructions can be downloaded from their site.

You can also try adding a Kalkwasser reactor - it might be a bit easier to get going. Just be careful about connecting it to an automated water top-off. If something goes wrong, you might flood the tank with Kalkwasser. I prefer to manually dose.

Regards,

Hesham
Old 09/17/2007, 07:08 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Thanks Hesham.

Both my Finnex controllers are dead (nice) so I need to sort replacements before it starts to cool down here. I hear people raving about Ranco controllers but I don't see them on Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics or Aquarium Specialty. Any well known vendors that carry them?

Old 09/17/2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NexDog
Thanks Hesham.

Both my Finnex controllers are dead (nice) so I need to sort replacements before it starts to cool down here. I hear people raving about Ranco controllers but I don't see them on Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics or Aquarium Specialty. Any well known vendors that carry them?
Hey, I was stoked to see you post!

Try these:

Custom Aquatic

Aquatic-Eco

Drs. Fosters Smith
Old 09/17/2007, 09:19 PM
Frag from Mr ROWA himself

Bottom of this page. Ive bought both of mine from them a while ago.

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/...c252515eda80de
Old 09/17/2007, 09:47 PM

that's a good price!
Old 09/17/2007, 10:01 PM
Frag from Mr ROWA himself

debbies great to deal with as well.

As far as the rancos i have a dual stage on my 55 and my 150. Since im not going to shell out the cash for a full blown controller, the rancos protect my investment
Old 10/22/2007, 07:11 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Well after weeks toying with Drs. Fosters Smith customer support I can't get the Ranco controllers from them. Seems they have no idea about ecommerce and processing credit cards. So is teh AquaLogic controller as good as teh Ranco? I believe I've bought from Aquatic-eco before:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../9207/cid/2214

Desperate now as I'm now having to heat the tank room at night to maintain temo.

Old 10/22/2007, 07:19 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Also it's listed as a chiller controller so will it work as a heater controller?

Old 10/22/2007, 08:13 PM

I think they are the same thing. There is a single stage and dual stage with the single just running a heater, and the dual running a heater and a chiller. I wonder what's wrong with Fosters Smith? Maybe they don't want todeal with overseas transactions?
Old 10/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Fiddles With Reef

I guess they have to be super careful as they are dealing with tangible goods. I had to give them the customer service number on the back of the card which they said wouldn't work for them. Seems to work for millions of us in Japan so, heh. Not really bothered. Plenty of other places will take my money.

Have emailed Aquatic-Eco so just waiting to hear back. I bought these strainers off them 2 years ago so hopefully shouldn't be any issues getting teh controllers.