Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

would you not still have to make each change individually regardless of whether or not you needed to click an okay button at the end? perhaps i'm forgetting what it was like to use a windows based system, but that is how i recall it. forgive me if i'm mistaken.

Pete, sorry if i took that too personally.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:26 AM
Reefer

And it isn't even an extra click. Clicking OK or Cancel in Windows applies/undoes and then closes the dialog. There's even often another button named Apply that applies without closing the dialog.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:28 AM
Reefer

No, you don't have to make each change individually. You rack 'em up and then apply or discard in one, efficient swoop.

dwd5813, dont sweat the small stuf.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:29 AM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
would you not still have to make each change individually regardless of whether or not you needed to click an okay button at the end? perhaps i'm forgetting what it was like to use a windows based system, but that is how i recall it. forgive me if i'm mistaken.

Pete, sorry if i took that too personally.
I think the point is having to go back and undo each and every change you made before closing the dialog box. That is much more inconvenient and far more involved than clicking "Cancel", which tells the program to disregard the changes you made in the dialog.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
No, you don't have to make each change individually. You rack 'em up and then apply or discard in one, efficient swoop.

dwd5813, dont sweat the small stuf.
touche'
Old 12/17/2007, 12:35 AM
Crap Under User Name

To lighten the mood: http://www.justsayhi.com/bb/apple_addiction

I'm 52% addicted to Apple.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkS
I think the point is having to go back and undo each and every change you made before closing the dialog box. That is much more inconvenient and far more involved than clicking "Cancel", which tells the program to disregard the changes you made in the dialog.
okay, i can see that. i guess i don't make changes often enough for it to become an issue either way.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:39 AM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
okay, i can see that. i guess i don't make changes often enough for it to become an issue either way.
Some programs, especially engineering programs, CAD/CAM, 3D software and such can have mutli-tabbed dialog boxes with dozens or hundreds of options for a single software feature. In such cases, a cancel button is absolutely necessary.

Old 12/17/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm 52% addicted to Apple.
52% here too
Old 12/17/2007, 09:56 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

82%

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Now, I would have to go home and pull it up on my machine to see if you have a "cancel" button on the preferences, but have you looked at Camino by Mozilla?

http://caminobrowser.org/

(I'm on a windows machine at work. Two Macs at home.)
Old 12/17/2007, 12:59 PM
Reefer

I spoke to my dealer about this issue. He says no one has ever complained about this, and that it's the way it is in OS X.

This sounds like an OS X dirty little secret that the loyalists are going to ignore or minimize. It boggles my mind that such an important user interface feature was either overlooked or dismissed.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

pnosko,

Wierd. First you asked a simple question. Then you sort of attacked the person that was nice enough to provide feedback. After you got answers, you mocked Apple, and this is 1 day after YOU spent $7,000 on YOUR computer. Why do you need such an expensive Mac? Why did you buy such a boss machine in the first place; 16 GB, are you serious? 30" display, 8 processors... and you have nothing nice to say about it. In fact, you haven't really mentioned Apple at all yet. Neither has MarkS. Auto-CAD (his example) isn't an Apple program, nor is Firefox. So here's a question pnosko: how's your Mac? Yes, I'm talking about the interface on something that Apple makes (you haven't mentioned one yet)...
Old 12/17/2007, 09:10 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Originally posted by reefbuzz
pnosko,

Wierd. First you asked a simple question. Then you sort of attacked the person that was nice enough to provide feedback. After you got answers, you mocked Apple, and this is 1 day after YOU spent $7,000 on YOUR computer. Why do you need such an expensive Mac? Why did you buy such a boss machine in the first place; 16 GB, are you serious? 30" display, 8 processors... and you have nothing nice to say about it. In fact, you haven't really mentioned Apple at all yet. Neither has MarkS. Auto-CAD (his example) isn't an Apple program, nor is Firefox. So here's a question pnosko: how's your Mac? Yes, I'm talking about the interface on something that Apple makes (you haven't mentioned one yet)...
What does any of that have to do with Pete's problem? Is it your business why he needs such a powerful computer? To say that he has nothing nice to say about it isn't exactly fair, since this thread is about a problem he has had. I don't think anyone in their right mind would spend $7,000 on a computer if they didn't like it.

Old 12/17/2007, 09:16 PM
Reefer

reefbuzz; I believe the OS X System Preferences IS a user interface to Apple software. Can you address my issue, or would you rather just blow smoke?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:20 PM
Reefer

Have another complaint. On Windows, when a window isn't maximized, I can resize it anywhere along the four sides. In Tiger, I have a single, tiny triangle on the bottom right.

Oh, have yet another. In order to perform a mouse right-click using an Apple mouse, you must use the keyboard too. Nice.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:23 PM
Reefer

Fret not. Praises will come when I find something to praise.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

i dont know any way to change the window resizing option, but if you go to system preferences, then keyboard and mouse, you can check a box that says "place two fingers on trackpad and click for secondary click." that's your right click. assuming that you are talking about using the trackpad that is.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:28 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Fret not. Praises will come when I find something to praise.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/17/2007, 09:39 PM
clownfish fan

i gotta take the test again i forgot when i got my first mac. i should beat beerguy though
Old 12/17/2007, 09:44 PM
clownfish fan

86%
woot i dont need rehab until 100%
Old 12/17/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Old 12/17/2007, 09:51 PM
Crap Under User Name

Quote:
Have another complaint. On Windows, when a window isn't maximized, I can resize it anywhere along the four sides. In Tiger, I have a single, tiny triangle on the bottom right.
That is an issue that you'll have to get used to. Its been that way since the very first version of the Mac OS and is unlikely to change. I know that there were shareware utilities for OS 7, 8 and 9 that added the functionality that you are looking for, but I'm not sure about X. Unfortunately, all I can say is that you'll get used to it.

Quote:

Oh, have yet another. In order to perform a mouse right-click using an Apple mouse, you must use the keyboard too. Nice.
Apple has this strange aversion to two button mice. Its not that the OS doesn't support it, but rather that Apple refuses to make one. Any 3rd party two button USB mouse will work. I could never figure out why Windows' users griped about this. I mean, all you have to do is hold down the option key. Now, after using a Windows machine for the past few years, I would never go back to a single button mouse.

Pete, the interface is very different than Windows. This is going to be like jumping into a cold pool. Once you adjust, you'll forget how difficult the change was, but it will take time and it probably will not be pleasant.

Old 12/17/2007, 10:07 PM
Reefer

Quote:
That is an issue that you'll have to get used to.
So far, I think this would be a better slogan for Apple than Think Different. Or perhaps that's what they really meant by that.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Apple has this strange aversion to two button mice. Its not that the OS doesn't support it, but rather that Apple refuses to make one. Any 3rd party two button USB mouse will work. I could never figure out why Windows' users griped about this. I mean, all you have to do is hold down the option key.

Quote:
if you go to system preferences, then keyboard and mouse, you can check a box that says "place two fingers on trackpad and click for secondary click." that's your right click.