Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Clev...do the gate mod...it's well worth it
Old 12/28/2007, 11:00 PM
One Good Friend

Went over to clev's today and checked out the skimmer. It was pulling 12scfh stock. After about 15min and a meshmod and new venturi later it was up to 30scfh and had his skimmer completely maxed out. The skimmer couldn't handle that much air so we had to take a trip to premium and pick up a gate valve. He's going to completely redo the skimmer output and it should e a heck of a skimmer. The only concern i have is the neck connected to the uniseal. It seemed pretty bunk : ( Hopefully Clev can post some pics of his skimmer with the gate valve. We could have gone to around 40-45scfh but i knew with a 3" neck there was no freakin way.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a million for all your help today Luke!!!! I'll post some pics here shortly.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Man luke....you need to come to Cincy and hook me up....lol
Old 12/29/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Went over to clev's today and checked out the skimmer. It was pulling 12scfh stock. After about 15min and a meshmod and new venturi later it was up to 30scfh and had his skimmer completely maxed out. The skimmer couldn't handle that much air so we had to take a trip to premium and pick up a gate valve. He's going to completely redo the skimmer output and it should e a heck of a skimmer. The only concern i have is the neck connected to the uniseal. It seemed pretty bunk : ( Hopefully Clev can post some pics of his skimmer with the gate valve. We could have gone to around 40-45scfh but i knew with a 3" neck there was no freakin way.
I assume by "stock" you mean with the smaller standard nipple air intake nipple for the venturi. Did you test the scfh after the modding of the 1/4" Barb with the stock venturi?

Curious to see What was that pulling?

Sounds like you just tested it with your modded new venturi with the larger modded 1/4" nipple?
Old 12/30/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Hey Luke or Clev....after you did the mesh mod, did it lower the water level due to more bubbles in the main body.....right now with mine if I adjust my air down too much, with the air flow adjusted higher....of course lower water levels) it overflows the cup...and my water level actually raises. It seems I could use about 5 inches taller on this skimmer.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:38 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by BubbleMonkeyIII
I assume by "stock" you mean with the smaller standard nipple air intake nipple for the venturi. Did you test the scfh after the modding of the 1/4" Barb with the stock venturi?

Curious to see What was that pulling?

Sounds like you just tested it with your modded new venturi with the larger modded 1/4" nipple?
Bubble, the 12scfh was with the 1/4" venturi. I'm not sure what it would have pulled stock but pry around 5-7scfh if i had to guess.