Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2006, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

A bunch of questions and even more pics

Ok so where do we start here. I had two clowns. HAD until this morning when I noticed I only had one. I blew the power head around and can't find the body... perhaps my bta ate it but not sure. COULD be a disease as the one I have left is getting white on it, I noticed this a few days prior but when I woke up the clowns would have it and when I got home it was gone... figured it was wither sand sticking to them or the bta was giving them stings... Also no labored breathing or loss of appetite. just one day I had two now I have one.

Now, Neon green coraline? It looks like algae but does not wipe off... just wondering if this is normal? taken with flash.

Also sometimes my bta has a open mouth and sometimes tight lipped, is this normal as well? pics taken about 2 mins apart. Also now the mouth is closed...

Also what the heck is this. Hard to see I know but all I could do. It's like a tiny polyp with long tentacles.

Ehiem 2217, powerhead, 10lbs lr, skimmer coming
Old 11/18/2006, 11:36 PM
The Coolest Member

Not sure if its normal behavior for a nem to open and close its mouth. It certainly could have eaten the clown.
The algae doesn't look like coralline. I had that same algae colonize my base rock. Eventually coralline took over, so its nothing to worry about. The polyp is very blurry in the last pic, but I would guess an aiptasia.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
Old 11/19/2006, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Looks like aptesia to me but blurry pic. Also what are your specs ? Phosphate , amonia and carbinate hardness and ph ? Carbonate hardness shows oxegen levels. Low flow is also bad . Hows your flow ?
Old 11/19/2006, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

I only test for hardness nitrate/rite and amonia. All are right where theys should be. I have a ton of coraline growth and don't really care much about hard coral growth so I don't test for alot of things. I know my water quality is fine. My two siscor tail dartfish have never showed signs of stress nor has my colt/xenia/zoa's or anything else in the tank for that matter.

As for flow... Hang on back coralife superskimmer 125, Rio 800, Rio 1700, and an ehiem canister filter. I thought that would be pretty decent lol. Also decent lighting. the bta actually hid from it when I first got it in the tank.

Old 11/19/2006, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

the last pic could also be a hydroid. How long ago did you set the tank up? Clownfish need to be quarantined with a hospital tank onhand during the process. Read the clownfish forum's FAQ/clownfish pages NOW if you want to save your last clown.
Old 11/19/2006, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Well 2 months is to soon for any fish.
Old 11/19/2006, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

Then tank has been up about a year. I havn't updated my profile and when I did it it was wrong to begin with. I checked my reciepts to find the actual age.

Old 11/19/2006, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Well heavy breathing could be sigh of low carbonate hardness but if this is fine and amonia levles low and ph good and regular water changes done then only thing left is QT the fish incase theres a problem that could spread. Wish i could help more GL.
Old 11/19/2006, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

That clown looks to me like it has ick. You can see the white spots on the body but they are also on the fins. I would say thats what happened to the other little one. They can have ick and we don't know it. If there is a large infestation of it in the gills they pretty much suffocate to death. I would treat for ick. My nems do the mouth thing but not always. Have often does it do that?
And the green stuff looks like my neon green corraline that i only get on the front glass. Incredibly hard to scrap off. There was some on my back glass but the purple took it over.

Lisa
Old 11/19/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

neon green coraline is perfectly normal (as i'm sure someone already said, tho i didnt really read thru ) but usually seams to later be overgrown w/purple in all my tanks.

That one blurry pic w/the red circle...i'll agree that it is really blurry and that it is an aptaisia. just do a google image search for "aptasia" and it'll come up with that. You'll be able to see it better there.

[quote]Well 2 months is to soon for any fish.

[/quote[

why is a 2 month old tank too soon for any fish? Fish can be added "slowly" as long as the cycle was first completed...which it was. I'm not sure if you were implying that it takes 2 months for the cycle to finish (which it normally doesnt, given you've got live rock) or if you were just saying you should let it run for 2 months after the cycle is done before adding fish...

but ya make sure that your amonia, nitrites, pH, SG, and temp are good. Thats the things that can kill a fish (besides from a disease). Stuff like nitrates isnt gonna kill any fish (especially if your corals are still living...they'd die from high nitrates before a fish would).

And stuff like calcium isnt gonna affect the fish either...just for corals.
Old 11/19/2006, 01:34 PM
Team RC Member

Go to the fish disease area and look up 'brook'. It's more likely than ich, from those photos, and you should not add any new fish until that issue is solved. If it is brook, you should not add any clowns for a considerable while, I'm thinking. Ask there for more details.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.