Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Some stuff at aquatic central

Busy testing out my new camera today, here are some hand held macro shots. DOF is a little narrow, but that is what I get for being too lazy to take out my tripod.

Old 12/11/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Come on dude break out the tripod and the new ballhead
Old 12/11/2007, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Nice pics Ian. Was this the new camera?

I like those Wrasses, but they look identical. Could they both be male?
Old 12/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Not sure about the wrasses Dave. I did take them with the new camera. Pictures came out a bit dull, I figured out what was wrong. I was shooting in the adobe color space not sRGB.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

What cemera do you ahve that you can choose on board (on camera) what color space your shooting in? I thought colorspace was only on the software processing side of the equation?
Old 12/11/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Its a nikon d200, just got it from a friend. I still have a lot to figure out about this camera. Its a lot different from my old d70.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

OK, I can see that as an option on a D200
Old 12/11/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Gonna do some paraphrasing, so bear with me.

Color space is an in camera setting that you can choose to shoot in or something that you can convert over to in processing. In this case, I think Ian shot in Adobe RGB vs. SRGB. SRGB is basically what monitor manufacturers push out as best guess estimates and accounts for 35% of the visible colors that the human eye can see. Adobe RGB is a bigger color space and encompasses 50% (most of which are in the cyan-greens) and encompasses the entire pallet of what a CYMK printer is capable of.

To get an idea of the differences (left: shadow; middle: midtones; right: highlights):

You can visually see how much bigger the Adobe RGB colorspace is relative to SRGB.

So does it really matter which mode you shoot in between the two? For monitors, yes, since monitors uses RGB space versus Adobe RGB. In print, does it really matter? Even less so.

Why is that so? Take a look at this:

The gamut of colors that printers can output is still less than what we can see, as shown in the leftmost figure. The figure in the middle shows what typical professional printers can output (think Walmart, Ritz, etc.). The one on the right is what a high end consumer inkjet is capable of. As you can see SRGB does a good job at it.

Printers are getting better and better at outputing colors, but SRGB still covers most of the spectrum. If you really wanted to, you can shoot everything in Adobe RGB, then convert over to SRGB (doesn't work as well the other way around since some info might not have been captured) and process them like so. Is it really necessary? That's really dependent on the end user.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:58 AM
AEFW Assasinator

The wrasses are an Exquisite pair (at least that's what they are being sold as).