Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

The carbon won't bubble, I'd say yes to dropping photo period for a week or so. Hit it all hard, water change, scrub the rock and the rest of the stuff your doing should make a good dent. Maybe also change some of the directions on your power heads to help if/with your dead spots in the tank.
Good luck
Erik
Old 01/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I did a lot of manual removal of the algae this evening and I chunked up my cheato in the sump to stimulate growth. I'm going to look into new bulbs tomorrow for my light.

On a positive note: now that I repostioned my power heads my GBTA is looking MUCH beter. My Red Acan from the Frag workshop has 4 new heads growing, and my Acan I got from the raffle in Oct has about doubled in size.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:41 PM
T5 Reefer

Kill-A-Watt meters are available at Harbor Freight for $29.99. Here's a link. You do not have to open up the volute to see a huge improvment over the original design. If you make the mesh mod pump into a recirc design you will need a small powerhead like an MJ600 or 900 to feed water into the skimmer. I have about 550 gallons total volume and I run a MJ900 to feed the skimmer with a Sedra 5000 modded pump for recirc.

You could also pick up a generic Dremel at Harbor Freight for about $8 if you wanted one. Here's a link to that.

My hair algae problem was about 3 times worse than yours in 2x 75g tanks. I bought a sea hare that tore through all the hair algae that I had. I then added a couple tangs and haven't seen any algae since then.

Hope that helps.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I called everyone looking for a Sea Hare and no one has any in stock =(

Thanks for the heads up on the Kill-A-Watt and Dremel, those are not all that expensive.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Ordered all new bulbs for my light today (Thank you SC).

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Aquasun
Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight
Aquablue
Blue Plus