Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 07:50 PM
Professional somedays

What to feed purple anthias?

I can't seem to get any of my new anthias to eat. I am currently feeding an assortment of blood worms, mysis, and flake. Any recommendations for the supermarket tomorrow?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I had to start mine with live mysis .They will eat those real quick .hope this helps.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:23 PM
Professional somedays

TY - now just need to find a store with live mysis in central ohio.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:56 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Get some Arctic Pod's from Phishy's. Every finicky eater I've had gulped down Arctic Pod's before anything else. Zooplankton also works, but that seems in short (if not non-existent) supply anymore.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:47 AM
Moved On

i must of got lucky. my new anthias ate frozen mysis. didnt seem to like cyclopeze though
Old 01/06/2008, 01:48 AM
Moved On

lookin real cute
Old 01/06/2008, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

I have a bunch of zooplankton if you need some.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

i want anthias *pout* i was very unsuccessful with bartletts so its prob. a bad idea to try agian. but mine started with cyclopeeze and reef plankton i think they call it (frozen sallys orange box) makes a mess

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 01/06/2008, 10:26 AM
Moved On

i think bartletts are harder to keep. try lyretails. i've heard their quite easy
Old 01/06/2008, 10:56 AM
Professional somedays

RockleM,

To phishy's I must go! Thanks for the info. I usually have a fairly good understanding of what the fish eat and downfalls before buying them. I thought the difficult guy in my tank would be the 5 bar mystery wrasse but nope he eats like a champ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReefDiver,

PM sent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tourkid,

I would try to make sure that every fish you buy is eating in store. I will not buy a fish unless the owner feeds him in front of me. I know it must be obnoxious but its saved me paying for fish that wouldn't make it. Find some bartletts or lyretails and try those.

cl2ysta1,

I saw some of your posts in the reef fish forums. Which anthias did you end up with?

Last edited by Genetics; 01/06/2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:18 PM
T5 Reefer

I don't know if you ever make it up this way but if you do Greg at Aquatic Technology has live mysis. It might be worth the drive if you haven't been to his store before.

Good Luck!
Old 01/06/2008, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Genetics- oh they came from phishys and were 100% perfect and eatting when i got em. but they dropped like flys. I lost one after another over a 6 month span. it really sucked. I really like anthias!

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 01/06/2008, 02:31 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
Quote:
Originally posted by Genetics

cl2ysta1,

I saw some of your posts in the reef fish forums. Which anthias did you end up with?
I got some Pseudoanthias Hutchii anthias. they were supposed to be lyretails but werent. I have two males and six females. they seem to be doing great. I'm still going to get another type. I think i'll end up with dispars. probably do 8-10 of those. these guys seem to like one side of the tank. very inquisitive. here are some pix. all are eating mysis but nothing else yet.

Old 01/06/2008, 02:41 PM
Moved On

Location: Marion, for about 4 hours every night, OSU Grad office the rest of the day
Quote:
Originally posted by Genetics

cl2ysta1,

I got some Pseudoanthias Hutchii anthias. they were supposed to be lyretails but werent. I have two males and six females. they seem to be doing great. I'm still going to get another type. I think i'll end up with dispars. probably do 8-10 of those. these guys seem to like one side of the tank. very inquisitive. here are some pix. all are eating mysis but nothing else yet.

Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 AM
Professional somedays

Anyone have or know where to get live mysis? Half of my anthias (2 purple queens) don't seem to want even the artic pods. However, the bartletts love it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dew2
Did you complain with the hutchii b/c they look very little like lyretails. But then again I ordered sunburst and got tukas and bartletts. So I guess as long as they're in the pseudoanthias genus its anyones guess.