Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Changing from CC to LS

I posted yesterday about switching from CC to LS (on the new to the hobby board) and after much thought and some research here is what I am proposing to do. Can anyone with more experience please tell me if this will be ok. I DO NOT want to get this wrong - understandably.

set up a second tank with a heater and 2 powerheads (have just managed to cadge a 3 foot tank for this purpose)

use water from existing tank to fill it up to 3/4 depth leaving approximately 20 gallons in my 55g tank

Catch the livestock (sounds easy, will probably take hours)

transfer to new tank as soon as temperatures match between the two tanks

Move the corals over to the new tank

so far so good...

Ok, my main tank has a massive aptasia problem and I have been battling in vain for months with the stupid stuff, can I take this oportunity to move the LR around and joes juice the crap out of it all? Can I also use this as a chance to scrub some hair and bubble algae off the rocks?

ok, next step (if I can use this opportunity to practically eradicate the aptasia and algae then that will be done first.

Start taking out the CC. I can see that the movement of the rock and the substrate is going to cause LOTS of detrius floating about so should wait for the remaining water to clear before adding the sand?

Put the LR in place BEFORE I add the sand, then slowly add the sand until an average 2" covering is present throughout.

Leave the tank to clear.

Add the water back from the other tank slowly and put the corals back in as I go and put the livestock back in last.

Would it be more advisable to have 50 litres of prepared seawater ready? It probably would wouldn't it.

Does the tank have to recycle? As long as the rock never dries out I thought it might not have to. How long should I leave the livestock in the second tank? This all sounds so difficult

But its necessary.

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/02/2008, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Why would you put the rocks before the sand?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

because the rocks should go on the base to avoid dead spots underneath them where detrius can collect and not be eaten by the CUC

Old 01/02/2008, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Hm ok, I just don't like the idea of rocks on bare glass :S
Old 01/03/2008, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

unashamed bump.

Old 01/03/2008, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Putting the rocks on the glass will also promote stability of the rock structure. A single sand sifting goby can collapse a rock structure with oving a grain of sand, if the rock is built on the sand.

Wise man builds his house upon the rock.

Personally I'd move the corals and rock first, then move the livestock. It will make it easier to catch the fish. Safer for the corals as well.

If the rock stays wet there shouldn't be to much of a cycle, providing the sand does not have to cycle, which it may.

I'd keep as much of your original tank water as you can in the second tank. Drain the rest into buckets or something.

Remove the CC. Add the LR, Add the water. Add the sand. Wait for it to clear. Then add the corals and fish.

Your going to need as uch new water as is held in your holding tank IME. You want your display to be running for a bit.

Make sure you test for ammonia and nitrite before adding anything living (besides rock)

HTH
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 01/03/2008, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

ive moved my tank 4 times now and i can tell you that catching the fish is always the most difficult, but i found out that if you drain even more water out the fish have that much less space. so i drain out almost all the water.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate the help on this. I am going to get my second tank after the weekend and hopefully my sand Monday or Tuesday of next week so by the weekend I should be ready for the move. I am still battling the aptasia but I will win - eventually!