Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Phosban question

Hi,

This is probably the wrong forum for this question, but I've seen GFO discussed here alot, so I thought I'd give it a try. I can't seem to get rid of a plague of 1/4" long brown hair algae, so I'm trying a Phosban reactor. The directions on the Phosban say to use 1g per gallon (70 grams for me). The directions for the reactor say to use a minimum of 130 grams (not sure why). If I use the 130, will I strip the water of phosphates so fast as to harm the fish or corals? If so, what set of problems would using 70 grams create? I've been trying to get answers from the manufacturer for days with no luck, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant
Old 12/31/2007, 06:08 PM
RC Mod

There have been some issues reported with PhosBan dosing causing stress. I would start with 35g and work up slowly. Keep a close watch on the corals, in my opinion, but most people are happy using PhosBan and similar products.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response, Jonathan, and that's what I was thinking too. Why do you suppose the reactor instructions say not to use less than 130g? I was worried that the little bit of media would break down and end up in the tank. Or maybe they just want to sell more Phosban....It does seem funny to have this whole reactor for just a couple of teaspoons of media.

Thanks again,
Grant
Old 12/31/2007, 06:54 PM
RC Mod

I don't know how they got the recommendation. It's probably fine to run more once the corals have acclimated. You'd just need to replace it a bit less frequently, but that's just a guess.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

OK, 35g it is--thanks again.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Can I detour a bit (since it seems this case is solved )?
If one didn't have a scale, how to measure? In my case it's gonna be ROWAphos, but I have no way to measure weight. Any Tsp or cup measurements = a gram (or 2)?
Old 01/01/2008, 12:10 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

I would use the smaller amount and mix it with carbon.

I think the phosban reactor recommendation of 130g has to do with volume in the canister.
Old 01/01/2008, 05:11 PM
RC Mod

I don't have any RowaPhos, or I'd measure some. Sigh!
Old 01/01/2008, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Having used most of the PO4 removal media, I can tell you that the ROWAphos is the best. It gives a bit of a sticker shock because it costs so much more than the other media for a given volume, but it need replacing much less often and keeps my PO4 levels undetectable. In the long run, you will save time and effort with the ROWAphos. Most reefs have a PO4 level of 0.05 ppm, laggons and estuaries have higher. Soft corals seem to enjoy a little higher level, but then again, so does algae. HTH. That is my experience.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

Well I started with 3 Tbsp's. Should be low enough to not cause any teype of schock.WIll increase in about 5 days after I get back from my weekend trip to see the Bald Eagles in Homer AK