Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2006, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Where to find Cuttlefish!

Anybody know where to buy cuttlefish...(live obviously) ? Also, what are the tank requirements? Special conditions? Thanks a lot! -Dustin
Old 08/15/2006, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

I would not recommend cuttlefish for a person just getting started in Saltwater. Have you read anything? Also spend at least 6 months, not including cycling time, on different water parameters, and how to make adjustments(both ways) if something were to go wrong. Richard Ross states "if you can keep a reef tank you can keep a cuttlefish." maybe this should be your mission. Work your way up to a reef tank then if you still want a cuttlefish get one. Cuttlefish have very shortlives, so even if you get one it might die of old age. Plus the are HORRIBLE travelers if you get one that implies 9 of them died, so you do not want to take any chances, right? Dr. James Wood is one the best sources for the captive requirements of cuttlefish.

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/cuttle1.html

Richard Ross can be found at

www.DaisyHillCuttleFarm.com

he specializes in Sepia bandensis.

There is also the cephalopod data base

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/

I would absorb this information while working my way up to a cuttlefish. I hope this does not make you abandon your love for cuttlefish it is just part of the process. BEST WISHES in your cephalopod endevours!
Old 08/15/2006, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! Yes, I know that a cuttlefish is certainly not a good beginner's fish..I plan on waiting a while until I get one. I was just wondering if it would be impossible to keep one, or even find one to keep. I'm starting slow though with just some little guys...then gradually get bigger. Thanks again!
Old 08/15/2006, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

no problem! The cuttlefish is NOT a fish at all though, it is a cephalopod, which includes octopus, squid, cuttlefish and nautilus. It is not impossible to find one, lots of looking. It is not impossible to keep one as the links i gave you can attest to, moreover I have seen some cuttlefish in some pretty awful tanks...please do not have a getto tank if you are going to have a cuttlefish.
Old 08/17/2006, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I assure you, when and if I do ever get my hands on a cuttlefish it will be well taken care of...I'd never want to do anything which would negatively affect an animal. I will get a minimum of a 120 gal tank for my first cephalopod. I am very familiar with cephalopods though, and find them pretty interesting. I am going to start with other creatures though and work my way up...just out of curiosity, can anybody offer a good beginner's cephalopod.? I realize all cephalopods require very special care different from other saltwater creatures, but I was wondering if there is one which might be a little better to start off with. It's going to be a while before I will be comfortable getting one, but any info. would be helpful! Thanks!
Old 08/24/2006, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

check out www.tonmo.com you may have better luck there, and you do not need a 120 for sepia bandensis, a 3o would be fine for and individual or something 40+ for a pair
Old 08/30/2006, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link...had a bunch of great cephalopod distributors...thinking about going with a joubini octopus. any comments or suggestions about this? Also does anybody have any good suggestions on a top for my tank to keep the oct-o-pie from escaping?
Old 08/30/2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

I have been having a real hard time bringing in a cuttlefish. No one in LA seems to have any lately.
Old 09/11/2006, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

ok...so Ive gotten a lot of mixed opinions...Ive heard that octopus are easier to care for than cuttlefish, but Ive also heard that cuttlefish are easier to care for than octopus...which one is true? I was going to get an octopus thinking that a cuttlefish was way to hard for me to get into...but now ppl are saying that cuttlefish are much easier than octopi. Opinions??
Old 11/10/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Species of octos and cuttles vary in difficulty.

Ive kept both of various species and would say in my opinion that octos are easier.

Things to worry about..

octos
-Escape proofing the tank
-Will eat most cleanup crew (snails and hermits)
-If its a shy one, they will be harder to find in the tank

Cuttles (Most likely if you get one, it will be a bandensis)
-Require more food and very difficult to teach it to eat frozen. (This makes cuttle keeping very costly if you cant catch your own food)
-Seem more intolerant of water quality thats anything other then perfect
-Shorter life span. (From an egg, the longest ive had one is 11 months. Many start dropping off even at 6-8 months)
-Bandensis if found available usually come as eggs, so this requires specific live foods and great care to raise them from that age.

I hope this helps! Most ceph keepers start out with an octopus such as a bimac.

You can check out my eperiences at http://thetentacleparadox.com/CuttleFarmArmy-About.htm
Old 11/25/2006, 06:48 PM
Moved On

are they hard to keep?
Old 11/26/2006, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Read the post above yours MoCha