Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2006, 08:23 AM
Limestone cowboy

corals brought back from japan

My friend goes to japan 2-4 times a year for work, and i can get him to bring stuff back for me. I was just wondering if it was legal to do si? I asked him and he said he would, But i wanted to find out before i had him do so. If it is i tell him not to bother as i dont want him takin down for bringing that stuff back.
I was thinking on some nice lords and micros.
Old 06/06/2006, 08:48 AM
Team RC Member

Usually when going through customs one is asked about live plants or animals, and a false answer could get you in trouble.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/06/2006, 09:05 AM
Limestone cowboy

Well i had every intention to do it legally if it was possable, if not drop it. Thats why i am asking. I tried contacting US customs but got the run around sending me to place after place. I called a dozen people and none knew the answer.
So what would happen if he told them he had a coral?
Old 06/06/2006, 09:26 AM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to import corals from Japan to the US. Even if he had CITES paperwork, I don't think you can legally do it.

Here's some good reading:

http://www.cites.org/
Old 06/06/2006, 09:49 AM
Limestone cowboy

I dont see why the us is taking this approach on japan corals.
Old 06/06/2006, 09:52 AM
Team RC Member

I think that you would not have the trouble if you had an import license, but that is done in volume.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/06/2006, 09:56 AM
Limestone cowboy

I looked into an import/export lic. Its easy and cheap to get.
Now getting a airline cargo shipping account is hard. LOL!
Really hard, Its like getting a ccw gun permit in california. LOL
Old 06/06/2006, 11:24 AM
who?

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
I dont see why the us is taking this approach on japan corals.
I believe that it is the other way around, Japan does not allow export of corals. If you look at the CITES export quotas they are not listed. From conversations with Calfo and others in the past it's my understanding that corals can also be brought into the US under other regulations if all the paperwork is present however the country of origin has to permit the export (IIRC this is how the Marshall Islands stuff gets here). Otherwise it's smuggling.

This is my understanding, be it correct or incorrect.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 06/06/2006, 11:45 AM
Limestone cowboy

Well that makes more sense. I see corals coming out every location but japan. I thought it was a US japan thing.
Thanks for the clairification!

Japan take down those walls!!
Old 06/06/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

i dont know but itd be cool . ive seen alot of unique stuff they have over there. and of course the lords caught my eye as well.
Old 06/06/2006, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

I agree with mothra. Japan closed exports a number of years ago. I can no longer get bonsai trees out of Japan. Some people have managed to do it though, but I'm not sure how and probably don't want to know

Dave
Old 06/10/2006, 10:11 PM
kid who ran with scissors

I have hand carried live corals back from a trip to Taiwan. I researched this quite a bit before attempting to do this. The other posters are correct. In order to bring a CITES protected species into the US you must have the proper paperwork from the exporting nation. All corals and anemones are covered under CITES.

In my case there was no chance of getting the "real paperwork" since Taiwan is techincally part of the ROC. The Taiwanese officials That I spoke to were not interested in assisting me to get ROC documentation. So I argued that becasue no exporting paperwork was available then the US had to accept the importation as is. Amazingly, this worked at the customs in Detroit where I reentered the US, I did decalre the corals. I think it would have been foolish to assume that even pre 9/11, me carrying a 3 gallon jug of sea water with a battery powered airpump and hoses attached to the outside would not get questioned at customs.. Ultimately though it came down to this....The person in charge was not happy with me for bringing the corals in to the country the way I had but the bottom line was that they had no facility on site to accept them were they to confiscate them. They decided that the spirit of CITES to protect species would be best served in that instance by allowing me to continue to my destination with the specimens and place them in my system where they would be maintained.
Old 06/11/2006, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

coral isnt plant nor animal, its coral so technically you could answer the question treuthfully
Old 06/12/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I am trying to do something similar when I go to Tahiti but with live fish because corals are to hard to get through. I was told by LA customs (airport I would enter US through) that if I had documentation that the fish were pets and not for sale it would be possible.
Old 06/12/2006, 12:16 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Quote:
Originally posted by imareefer21
coral isnt plant nor animal, its coral so technically you could answer the question treuthfully
How is coral not an animal?
Old 06/17/2006, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

From what I hear its illegal. If he tries he'll probably go to jail. Its just not worth it.
Old 06/18/2006, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

I work for Customs and see no problem with bringing back corals. Most times marine species are exempt most rules. Unless the species is "protected" here in the US ( like Sea Turtles). Just make sure to declare it!!
Old 06/18/2006, 11:39 AM
Limestone cowboy

PDImarco, Thanks you. Everybody from customs i talked to said they didnt think it was a problem since it was just going to be a pet, And it was not on the banned list. Like snakeheads ect.
My buddy goes to japan 5 times a year, and he said the japan customs are very easy going.
Thanks!! He said he was going to do it for me, and the worst that will happen is they'll take the corals from him. He will declair it into us. Its going to be for personal use i dont plan on selling them so i am good to go.
Thanks All!!
Old 06/18/2006, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Will you post back when you get them? Post with pictures?
Old 06/18/2006, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Problem is, US Fish and Wildlife Service has a whole different idea about this then Customs, as far as importing livestock You may get a clueless Customs officer, plenty are, but steer clear of a port of entry, they'll be well informed!
Old 06/18/2006, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

It's not on a banned list, but it is a CITES article II, and as the US is a member nation, we have to uphold the regulations and quotas set forth by CITES. There is no clause in CITES for "pets", so the idea of bringing CITES article II corals into the states as "pets" doesn't fly.
Old 06/19/2006, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

You'll be fine don't listen to GreshamH.
Old 06/19/2006, 09:06 AM
Limestone cowboy

I know us fish and wildlife has a set of rules of their own i have a family member that used to enforce borders (retired now)
I talked to customs officials and left messages with inspectors. (None whom returned my calls) The officials didnt see a problem with it. We will see. It will be declared and it will be handled in a honest manner.
I'll post about it when it hapens, and yes i'll post pics.
pdimarco thanks. Every official that i talked to in US customs seemed to have the same attitude.
I will look into it further and if i ever get ahold of the us inspector from the japan inbound customs, I'll ask him about the subject.
I left another message with a diff officer today. I am confident i'll find out soon.
Thanks

Last edited by Creetin; 06/19/2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06/19/2006, 01:54 PM
kid who ran with scissors

I do remember that there is a clause for noncommercial private use. That you can import this way. I am sure of the clasue, I am almost sure of the way it reads.

Gresham is correct that all corals and anemones are classified as Cnidarians and as such are protected CITES article II species.

Ultimately the wording of the agreement is vauge enough to allow you to do this, But specific enough to prevent you from running a business and doing it without the proper paperwork.
Old 06/19/2006, 02:24 PM
Limestone cowboy

I agree, and i am no business. I am a guy with a fish tank and will not be selling these for profit. Just eye candy.