Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/10/2005, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Feeding Fox Corals

I feed all of my corals a mixture of whatever I happen to have on hand. I have a mini-blender that I 'chop' it in and then direct feed with a turkey baster: Mysid, brine, cyclopeeze, Micro-Vert, a drop of garlic juice & some flake food. I figure, if a portion of it is not in their diet, they will consume the parts they want and the fish, shrimp and crabs will clean up the leftovers.

I turn off the filters and powerheads. Then turn the PH's back on after 30 mins and the filters back on after another 30 mins. The remainder goes down to my W/D that is now a refugium.

Teakie
Old 04/12/2005, 11:44 PM
tiger eel

nice pics love the colors
Old 04/13/2005, 12:32 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Great post. I have loved Fox corals from the very beginning. Super easy to care for, very pretty growth and colorations.

Here is my latest Fox. He started as a 3" coral and this is what he looks like now after two years. He won't stop growing!

Reefing Law #22: The more a coral costs, the greater the likelihood it will die in your tank.
Old 04/13/2005, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Wow, your tank is very packed!!! That's a foxy fox though.
Old 04/13/2005, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Wow!! very nice. how do you get your glass cleaned?
Old 04/13/2005, 03:35 PM
Custodial Dad :)

jdsabin1, that is AMAZING, thats so what I am looking for. Do you suppliment anything? I would love a coral like that fox as a focal point/center piece of my tank. NICE CORAL!
Old 04/13/2005, 03:36 PM

jdsabin1, how about a full tank shot????
Old 04/13/2005, 03:42 PM
TRC Leader

Wow Jeff, the tank is really filling out. Sweet piece and excellent photo!
Old 04/13/2005, 04:25 PM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Smile

Thanks guys . I didn't even think that in the picture the tank looks 'packed' but it does give that appearance doesn't it?

I don't specifically feed the fox. Never have but boy does he grow.

I clean the tank with magnets and I have also made a DIY scraper with a long razor blade on the end (imagine those paint scrapers) so I can get to the bottom of the tank. The tank itself is fairly tall so I had to do something.

I am still fiddling with this dumb digital SLR camera, trying to understand white balance, exposure, and all the rest of what each little thing does. I spent a gazillion dollars to get all these neat pictures I see everywhere and I am now worse off than when I had a simple point and shoot . I'm reading and absorbing as much as I can though and keep trying to get better shots. Right now I seem to always get dark pictures that include globs of light with blurry things in them .

Hopefully shortly I can post my tank, it's history and some pics too. Everyone can then see what a person who has no idea what they are doing, can do .
Reefing Law #22: The more a coral costs, the greater the likelihood it will die in your tank.
Old 04/18/2005, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Cograts,

I love fox myself. That is the best looking piece in a tank I have ever seen. It is very very happy!
Old 04/24/2005, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

3rd Fox Coral

This is my 2nd Green Fox - purchased 4 days ago. Another LFS I frequent is supposed to have 2 coming in on Tuesday...I can't resist them and since I have upgraded from 46 to 75g - I've got room for MORE!

[IMG][/IMG]

Teakie
Old 04/24/2005, 06:50 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great pics everyone! They are truely beautiful! After seeing them I am considering getting one in the future...after I know a bit more about them. Are they hearty or finicky? I have VHO's so the lighting should be ok. Keep the pics coming!
Old 04/24/2005, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Very easy to keep. I feed mine 2x's a week with a blender mix of Mysid, brine, Phytoplankton & some flake food. I feed them once a week with a shot of Kent Micro-Vert. Here's a link I use for finding out what certain things need. I also use it as a comparison pricing guide. Has all the specs for the needs of the sp. you want to keep:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=467

Teakie
Old 05/14/2005, 10:40 PM
Noooo don't bite it

All of thise look great I'm hoping that I can find one at my lfs tomorow or any other time.
Old 05/15/2005, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Fox Crazy

I've done some rearranging & picking up another Fox this week. I've gone Fox CRAZY!

Teakie
Old 05/15/2005, 11:19 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Re: Fox Crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by TeakieBarber
I've done some rearranging & picking up another Fox this week. I've gone Fox CRAZY!

Teakie
Just be careful! They grow like crazy!
Old 05/15/2005, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

jd

Well that's only ¼, of one end, of the tank. I love Fox, Trumpets & Daisy (like in my Avatar) Clavularia. Oh, and Toadstool mushrooms. I'm probably going to trade in a lot of my other stuff and go with all the aforementioned.

I guess if they get too big, I'll do like everyone else and just upgrade my tank size...again. I believe I can fit a 60" long in that spot. hmmm...

Teakie
I guess I'm a flower girl
Old 05/23/2005, 12:13 AM
tiger eel

Old 06/03/2005, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

Another Fox

Well, I think this makes number 6. It's a Metallic Green Fox. Want to see all of my Fox pics, visit my web site:
http://members.aol.com/teakiedl

Teakie
Old 06/09/2005, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Old 06/09/2005, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

Oops - this is #6

Teakie
I've moved, the gang's all here now!
http://home.alltel.net/teakiebarber/
Old 06/09/2005, 05:50 PM
Moved On

ya after looking at all your pictures I can only hope that my fox coral grows out like some of yours! Those are gorgeous. When I got mine, he was sorta a rescue because the store was closing and I was friends w/ the owner so he gave it to me and it was dying. Now that he's home in my tank he has opened up nicely and I love how he looks. I didn't even know what he was when I first picked it up and now that i've seen how all yours have nicely bloomed I can't wait until mine grows. Hopefully when I get back from basic in 5 months it'll look even better. And, I must say, jdsabin1 yours in one of the most spectacular I've ever seen! I'm jealous!
Old 06/09/2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdsabin1

Have a pic of this one retracted, like when the lights first come on?
Old 07/02/2005, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

i got my fox coral a week ago....still not opening up....just found out it needs extremely low flow all this while i was placing it near the PH teehee....my bad....now i knoe where im gonna place mine thanks for the info. heres mine in actinic

Old 07/08/2005, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

After reading all these posts and checking out all the pic's .... I'm off to get one of my own too....

WOW...