Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2005, 10:41 PM
Custodial Dad :)

Fox Coral Pics

Hey all. I have a fox coral I love, and it is quickly becoming my favorite coral. Anyone have some decent sized fox corals they have pics of?

Though the size of the base hasn't grown noticibly (only had it since October or so), the flesh has just exploded, HUGE.

Will this get bigged as in bigger base with more "polyps"? Also there is an area of the base that there is no polyp like at one time it died off, and I see skeleton there, is it possible for any regrowth there at all? If not if I dremel it away will new growth come in on that side?

No idea how these things really grow.

In any case, Fox coral pics please!!!!
Old 03/11/2005, 10:05 PM

All,
GET YOURSELF A FOX CORAL!!!!! When these things get a nice size and expand they are gorgeous. Am I the only one here with one, or that thinks so?

David
Old 03/11/2005, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I got one today, it's neon green, it's not open yet. How long have you had it and how lond did it take to open up?
Old 03/11/2005, 10:27 PM

I had mine since maybe October, give it a few days. What kind of lighting are you using? They dont seem to be big fans of intense light. Oh, your using VHO, you should be good. Even so start it out low in the tank.

The way they look when open is GREAT. I love it. This isnt mine, but this ad has somepics. This isnt expanded too nice, but you get the point. I will try to figure out why all my pics comeout so blue, and get some pics taken soon.

David

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
Old 03/12/2005, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Here are some pictures I took this mornig, it looks like he is trying to open up. Let me know what you think. It seems that the back of the coral is not opening yet. Do you feed your fox coral?

Old 03/12/2005, 12:18 PM

I don't feed mine at all, and it is doing wonderful. I will try to get pics soon, I need to get a media reader for my camera.

David
Old 03/12/2005, 01:01 PM

Ok, here is my FOX. These are bad pics, because I had to take them with my nextel, but I love this coral.

Old 03/12/2005, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Cool, I hope mine opens up like that, what kind of flow do you have around it?
Old 03/12/2005, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of my Fox:

What do ya think?
Old 03/12/2005, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Hey Screamer very nice fox, by looking at my fox's picture do you think that's a good spot? The skeleton it's kind of long and I burried as much as I can.
Old 03/12/2005, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

I wedged mine between 2 pieces of the rock work. My base is about 5-6 inches high. If i were you , i would put some small pieces of LR around the base so it does not get knocked over. Where you have it placed looks fine, just make sure water flow is at it's very minium around it. (and i mean MNIUM) A fox will not tolerate alot of flow and it will show you that when the coral does not open at all. As for feeding the fox, i never have and it is thriving,

The tissue is VERY delicate so get it secured with some LR before it gets damaged. Oh and it took mine about a week to open up fully when i first got it.

Old 03/12/2005, 08:13 PM

Same coral waking up:

Old 03/12/2005, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone I'll keep you posted on the progress of my fox.
Old 03/21/2005, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

it took about 4 days to open up. Here is a picture I took today!
Old 03/22/2005, 04:28 PM

Nice, they are a gorgeous coral, congrats!
Old 03/25/2005, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Fox Coral and Daisy Polyps

Here's a pic of mine a couple of weeks after I got it.

I was once crazy about Trumpet Corals but I've changed my mind. Fox Corals are beautiful and I'm looking for another one.

Teakie
Old 03/25/2005, 03:11 PM
Noooo don't bite it

All of you have nice foxes, and they all look like they are doing great. You guys are making me want one.

So basically the requirements for this coral is vey low flow, low-medium light, and not alot of feeding. I'm in, sorry I jumped in without a pick just wanted to make sure my ideas on this is right.
Old 03/25/2005, 07:00 PM

Yeah, it is a low maintenance coral. They are wonderful, and when they are really happy watching them fillout is nice. I always wondered if anything could be fed to them at the mouths but have yet to try.

Hey, how about some posts of your corals when the lights are first turned on and they have not "bloomed" for the day.

Oh, a big thing to look out for is water quality, because when these corals "sleep" when the lights are out, they can go almost entirly into the skeletopn, and if you start getting any kind of growth (which can be easy duer to the low flow area) it can grow over where the flesh is, and kill off an area of the flesh. So be careful in that regard.

If your water quality is decent you should be ok.

David
Old 03/27/2005, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

anyone read much on how to make one spread? Mine is healthy, but the base hasnt grown or spread much..
Old 04/08/2005, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Found Another One!

Found this light green Fox at the same LFS I got the other one. Nobody new it was there - when the owner came in, I asked if he had been on the look out for me...sure enough, hidden in a corner was this pretty little thing.

Teakie
Old 04/10/2005, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Very nice all of them i think i will get one soon lol...
Old 04/10/2005, 01:05 AM
Brother Maynard

not a good pic cuz it is much larger and more beautiful in real life!

Ben.
Old 04/10/2005, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

Ben ~ You're right, our pictures don't do them justice. They are just too beautiful. I got out my old Minolta Pro and just bought some film for it. I'm going to try that instead of my digital just to compare.

Teakie
Old 04/10/2005, 10:50 AM
Brother Maynard

thanks teakie!

hehehe,

i just noticed that my picture is sideways...i forgot to rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise!

btw...looks like you have a real cool firefish there. been thinking about getting a couple!

Ben.
Old 04/10/2005, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

I have had an awsome fox before. It does require extremely low flow. It does not have any tentecles. But as all LPS corals are carnivores I was curious to see what those mouths on it would eat. I have placed mysis shrimp onto it, and it folds up around to engulf the food into its mouth like a ricordia mushroom. But you have to have it in really low flow or turn the pumps off till its got it in its mouth cause it really dosent have a hold on it till its in folded up on and in its mouth. Also you might have to chase the fish and shrimp away, they will steal it. Its pretty slow when it comes down to closing up on its lunch, but it does eat meaty foods rather than absorb or eat fine phytoplankton. But it makes sense that this coral CAN get this size of meatier foods in the wild because of its low flow location, meaty size of foods will eventually drift by and land on this coral and not get washed away from the current. Just try it, they love it.