Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 12/07/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Curved Aquariums - Bad for Fish?

I hope that this is the right place for this.

I just read an article in a Romanian newspaper discussing a new law where an owner of an aquarium with "spherical or curved sides" would be fined $100. It also said that the entire European Union has such a law in place. The reason cited by one of the voters is that "fish have problems with orientation." Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find either an English translation or a similar law in other countries.

I'm guessing they're worried that fish will run into a bowed side, as opposed to a straight side? Is this true? Anyone know of any similar restrictions or laws where they live?

I was just quite surprised, since I've never heard of this idea before. Most likely, it's just another case of lawmakers legislating what they don't know.

Interestingly enough, though, the law also stipulates that transporting a fish in a transparent container would incur the same fine. That one I've heard of (or at least the idea of covering the bottom of the container, so the fish doesn't get overly-stressed).
Old 12/08/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Sorry fish? I was not aware fish couldn't tell round glass from flat.
Old 12/08/2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

I found a similar quote from an official in Italy about five years ago. I was researching material for my book on mini-aquariums and came across this:

Recently, the region of Monza, in Italy created legislation that would ban keeping goldfish in bowls. An official was quoted as saying,

"A fish kept in a bowl has a distorted view of reality...and suffers because of this. "

It may be a European Union thing. It has absolutely no basis in fact. Most public aquariums use curved aquariums for delicate schooling fish and even jellyfish.

Jay Hemdal
Old 12/08/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Wow, I guess I am in trouble!
Old 01/03/2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

hi i live in england and there is no law like that here.i have an aqua one windsor 88 bow front tank and my fish seem happy, as for a distorted view of reality unless you could make a reef the size of a swimming pool they arent going to get reality anyway
Old 01/07/2008, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie z
unless you could make a reef the size of a swimming pool they arent going to get reality anyway
agreed
Old 01/10/2008, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal

"A fish kept in a bowl has a distorted view of reality...and suffers because of this. "

I would really like to know how this individual came up with this hypothesis.

Just what is a fishs' (any fish, in any captive environment) perception of reality?

I can see a few glasses of aged scoth in order to sort this out!